Recent Topics

Ads

AMAZED AT SOME PEOPLE

Let's talk about... everything else
Deadpoet

AMAZED AT SOME PEOPLE

Post#1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:22 pm

I’ve been a high school teacher for more than 20 years now and I can’t help noticing how strikingly similar some of the attitudes in this forum are to some of my teen pupils’ attitudes. You see all kinds of people posting here, from the exquisitely coherent and sensible to the downright emotionally analphabet. I am concerned at the all too familiar sense of entitlement, lack of appreciation and overblown drama of some of the posters.

These attitudes, which often persist into adulthood and even old age, are the result of an adolescent misplaced search for identity. Sometimes, in real life or in games, you witness people getting disproportionately angry at something that only began as a normal conversation. That happens when people don’t have a developed personality and they are identified with an opinion, a sports team, a virtual character, etc. Gaming is nice if it helps you to relax and have fun. If you become so attached to your character that you fly into a rage when something that was GIFTED to you is TEMPORARILY modified then you need help. Even if the gift were to be changed into something else entirely, you shouldn’t act as an indignant customer who’s been robbed of his money. There might be some other concerns and global needs of the game at play.

I played on live and was an asiduous lurker in the Bioware Warhammer forums. Back then, the devs, with one single exception near the very final times of the game we all love, had stopped caring about the game long before its clinical death. During those final times of WAR people who were PAYING A SUBSCRIPTION (hence much more entitled to pressure the game developers)and enduring the staff’s neglect of the game were being much less fussy and demanding than the pampered, infantile whiners we have today in the forums.

The differences between WAR and RoR staff’s way of handling the game management are also worthy of notice. For a long time before the game died, glaring unbalance issues that would have been solved by RoR staff in a matter of weeks through bugtracker report actions were left to fester unheeded. Some of you may remember, for example, how mara’s piercing bite applied to all attacks and not only those who required a mutation or how deadly clutch health return applied even to heal pots drunk by the target, which coupled with the insanely OP defensive endgame sets led to maras being a pest and the infamous video of a mara defeating a SW only with throwing axe, or LotD bugged talis issue never being fixed, or SM being light years behind Kotbs or even IB for group play.

Now you get a bunch of people who rescued our favourite game from oblivion and just gifted it to us (this has been repeated ad nauseam but it should be repeated again and again because some people can’t seem to value it and need to be reminded) ,who earn nothing by their work (aside from the snide remarks and blunt accusations of bias EVERY TIME ANY CHANGE IS MADE), and who are (surprise!) human, so they are bound to make mistakes. They ADJUST. And now they try to remedy issues every patch taking players’ insights into account. All players insights? How can you take all diverging and even conflicting players views into account? The game needs a direction, and that has to be set by somebody. But some people will only care that their absolute truth has been rejected.

I know that adolescents, even when they are 30+ year-olds, are not particularly able to walk in other people’s shoes, not even for a small step, But if they did, they would understand what it means to be exposed to overwhelming and wanton criticism in a leader's position, and maybe they would acknowledge that the bulk of the gigantic work done in this project was done out of love for the game and a sense of usefulness and pride in the work done.

Some members of RoR staff in the past lost the handle under a huge load of pressure and contributed to create a negative atmosphere. Sometimes people who lead a pro bono project get tired of being harassed and second-guessed and stick to a dictatorship regime. Others persevere and take into account sensible and respectful insight while ignoring self-absorbed whine (no matter how knowledgeable or right, to be right isn’t everything, especially in a game). I hope Azarael can muster enough patience to take the second path.

End of brownnosing rant

Ads
Arconnn

Re: AMAZED AT SOME PEOPLE

Post#2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:24 pm

lel
Eliane Radigue's disciple
Trilogie De La Mort

Ormix

Post#3 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:51 pm

#supportRoRstuff :D
Dobroz - AM 40|71
Fridaynight - RP 40|75
Boombastik - BW 40|60
Nupognali - DoK 40|50

kweedko

Post#4 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Deadpoet wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:22 pm Bla bla bla moral stuff...
We are almost all gorwnups here, and some of devs acts, and descigions, look exactly like a childish behavior for us. :mrgreen:
And to stop being such a moralfag casue it look like you got a professional deformation. Keep it simple.
We are pationate men here, we have needs and lust for WAR. :mrgreen:

And it's gonna be asskissin rollecoaster ITT.

CoffeeForAll

Post#5 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:07 pm

7/10

peterthepan3

Post#6 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:11 pm

kweedko wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 pm
We are almost all gorwnups here, and some of devs acts, and descigions, look exactly like a childish behavior for us. :mrgreen:
And to stop being such a moralfag casue it look like you got a professional deformation. Keep it simple.

I'm surprised you made a post without once saying DDZEALOT.

OP: Hear, hear.

Mystry
Suspended

Post#7 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:12 pm

CoffeeForAll wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:07 pm7/10
Disagree, 4/10 at best. I have high standards.

Also the recent SM changes give good group utility, but I doubt if anything will ever topple KoTBS as the group tank king.

kweedko

Post#8 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:13 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:11 pm
I'm surprised you made a post without once saying DDZEALOT.

OP: Hear, hear.
It's in the signature i don't have to. :mrgreen: Nice to met ya, i see you got a promotion. :mrgreen:
Last edited by kweedko on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ads
dansari

Post#9 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:15 pm

kweedko wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 pm

User warned for post: use of a homosexual slur; persistent nonsensical, deranged posting; belligerent, illogical attacks against staff members and normal forum users.
<Salt Factory>

kweedko

Post#10 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:19 pm

dansari wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:15 pm
User warned for post: use of a homosexual slur; persistent nonsensical, deranged posting; belligerent, illogical attacks against staff members and normal forum users.
Hold you horses sherrif, we are not in the Broken Back mountin here. You just saw what you want to see not what i meant. :mrgreen: