Recent Topics

Ads

AMAZED AT SOME PEOPLE

Let's talk about... everything else
Azarael

Re: AMAZED AT SOME PEOPLE

Post#21 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:59 pm

It is certainly interesting and telling that a certain type of person would view a post made in support of the development team, and directed at certain entitled players, as being white knighting and inappropriate.

Is it only appropriate for people to post criticism?

My philosophy has always been to play the community game by the community rules. I don't ban people from the forum - I instead reserve the right to deal with people in similar terms as they would deal with me. If you insult me, whether implied or directly, I prefer to insult you right back. If you post in an infantile fashion, I'll treat you like a kid. If I eventually decide that your input is consistently worthless (and this is a very high bar), then you go on my ignore list.

I have always, always found it unreasonable that some consider that devs on RoR should act as professionals. We're not. No one gets paid here and I in particular found out most of last year just how little difference this project makes to my life in general. I therefore disagree with banning people over forum disagreements, but I don't disagree with giving people a verbal taste of what they deserve.

Ads
wonshot

Post#22 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:15 pm

So is the circle complete, now that people are complaing about others complaining?
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

kweedko

Post#23 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:39 pm

Azarael wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:59 pm It is certainly interesting and telling that a certain type of person would view a post made in support of the development team, and directed at certain entitled players, as being white knighting and inappropriate.

Is it only appropriate for people to post criticism?

My philosophy has always been to play the community game by the community rules. I don't ban people from the forum - I instead reserve the right to deal with people in similar terms as they would deal with me. If you insult me, whether implied or directly, I prefer to insult you right back. If you post in an infantile fashion, I'll treat you like a kid. If I eventually decide that your input is consistently worthless (and this is a very high bar), then you go on my ignore list.

I have always, always found it unreasonable that some consider that devs on RoR should act as professionals. We're not. No one gets paid here and I in particular found out most of last year just how little difference this project makes to my life in general. I therefore disagree with banning people over forum disagreements, but I don't disagree with giving people a verbal taste of what they deserve.
Oh this 2 years canged you a bit. :mrgreen:

Darks63

Post#24 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:30 pm

wonshot wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:15 pm So is the circle complete, now that people are complaing about others complaining?
Wouldn't people complaining about complainers be more of a ouroboros?
Tourist SW 40/50+<Zaxxed> Discotec 40/40+<IRONIC>

Former Pragg/Badlands Destro Iron Rock/Badlands Order player.

Rynocerous

Post#25 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:03 pm

wereku wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:43 pm Since when is highschool teacher equivalent to a degree in human social behaviour? Sorry but how about you don't make claims why people act a certain way based on nothing really.
Well, I do have a psychology degree. The OP is both right and wrong. But I agree that drawing out a behavioral profile on a group of people from a VERY wide spectrum of nations, ages, and beliefs based on the tiny subset of forum posters is not advantageous. Nor is it 'white knighting'. Assumptions of this kind are dangerous because they're easy conclusions to come to but are also very incorrect.

Without going into a bunch of psychobabble TL;DR, respect for authority and the ability to argue with coherence and a lack of histrionics isn't really connected to respect for people's beliefs. Insults and disrespect happens because people care more for the game than the people who create it. That's just human nature.

No one 'respected' Mythic, they were, for lack of a less distressing word, prostitutes, who sold out the game to EA, a cabal of murderers who have butchered a dozen beloved franchises. People argue here because we don't want to go down that road again, and because online method of communication are HORRIBLE for both nuance and tone, things get heated.

The amount of name-calling, screaming invective, petty or hurtful insults and the like has nothing to do with maturity or lack thereof. It's very natural for it to happen.

But...it would behoove everyone -- including the developers, gamemaster and moderators -- to sit back and stop and think before you say something heated in chat or pop off with sarcasm or insults on the forums. You can disagree with the devs WITHOUT insulting, calling them stupid or suggesting they are biased. Doing any of the that won't make your case.
DESTRO Aindorex - Impeccible
A couple of lowbie Order toons

nat3s

Post#26 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:13 pm

What a good post OP. Doesn't get said enough, the dev team work their socks off on what must feel like a thankless task at times. All the time things are working people say nothing, but the second something is perceived to have gone wrong, people lose their ****.

What I can't understand is how the devs are able to fund the infrastructure, if they are funding it off their own backs they deserve high praise and gratitude from us all.

Won't stop me campaigning to Make Herders Great Again though! :)
Defraz rr81 Magus
Defrack rr81 Mara
Induce rr77 Shaman
rr7x AM, Choppa, WL, WH, WE, BG

Sophia
Banned

Post#27 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Last edited by Sophia on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hao of Phalanx.

Gravord

Post#28 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm

Interesting topic. But one remark have to be made.
Deadpoet wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:22 pmhow deadly clutch health return applied even to heal pots drunk by the target
That tactic should affect potions used by the target. It does qualify as "heal received". It aint that great as many would like to believe too. When target is so low he have to pot mara himself is rarely in need of additional healing.

Ads
Haskr

Post#29 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm

nat3s wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:13 pm What I can't understand is how the devs are able to fund the infrastructure, if they are funding it off their own backs they deserve high praise and gratitude from us all.
Yaliskah wrote something about that some time ago.
If I remember correctly he/she pays about 2000€ in the year for the server/stuff.
Though I don't think that was the exact number, but it was something along that line, not cheap.

Sophia
Banned

Post#30 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Haskr wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm
nat3s wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:13 pm What I can't understand is how the devs are able to fund the infrastructure, if they are funding it off their own backs they deserve high praise and gratitude from us all.
Yaliskah wrote something about that some time ago.
If I remember correctly he/she pays about 2000€ in the year for the server/stuff.
Though I don't think that was the exact number, but it was something along that line, not cheap.
I thought euros are rich.
Hao of Phalanx.