Recent Topics

Ads

Lag desync NA player

Let's talk about... everything else
sritzrit

Lag desync NA player

Post#1 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi all i'm sure this is asked a lot. I did a search could not find any updates on it. How is it? do EU melee players have a huge advantage towards NA melee players? being closer to the servers? I want to roll a slayer or chopper but I am worried end game I will be useless. Last time I played which was over a year ago it was horrible almost unplayable when chasing ranged constant target out of range. Has this been improved at all? thank you

Ads
Rodek

Re: Lag desync NA player

Post#2 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:48 pm

I don't find it annoying, I play a WH now. I'm in Texas. Every now and then you'll have a weird range bug but it's not server lag it's just one of those friendly WAR bugs. It's rare though. I would recommend coming back and giving it a go, it's not like your out money for trying it :)

anarchypark

Post#3 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:10 pm

300ping has 1sec delay.
NA is 100~200ping i think.
you can play but have to accept little(?) disadvantage against EU players.
but you meet a lot of same pings in your playtime.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Rodek

Post#4 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:56 am

anarchypark wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:10 pm 300ping has 1sec delay.
NA is 100~200ping i think.
you can play but have to accept little(?) disadvantage against EU players.
but you meet a lot of same pings in your playtime.
300ms is .3 seconds. 1000ms is one second. Ping is measured in ms. Depending on your isp and connection type I would expect between 90-150.

catholicism198

Post#5 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:49 am

It's really not a big deal since this isn't a competitive 1v1 game.
That said, you will have to turn down your graphics during large keep fights or else you'll lag to death.

Alandrian

Post#6 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:50 am

Does anyone know how we can find our actual latency in ms to the server? Either in-game or elsewhere. I tried the /ping command in-game but it says it's disabled by the admins or something?

I checked my connection from New Zealand to a few random popular French based websites (since the server is hosted in France) and it was around 290 ms each time. Yet in-game I get frequent massive lag spikes where everyone around me stops moving for 5 - 10 seconds. I shouldn't be getting these lag spikes with just 300ms latency, it's as if I have 1000 or 2000ms. Or more like 10,000 ms since that's 10 seconds.

The frequency of these lag spikes has made ROR almost unplayable, especially as a melee dps WL. I'm going to explore some solutions, but if nothing helps I guess I'll go play Total War:Warhammer 2 instead until RoR get's popular enough that they decide to release a North America server, lol. :P

anarchypark

Post#7 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:24 am

if you're using VPN, try without it.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Nidwin

Post#8 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:00 am

I had massive lag, especially in keep fights, and two things fixed everything for me.

Change shown player names from Styled to Standardized. <- This is the easiest step and reported to have a huge boost on framerate.

Set graphics to fastest framerate. Also set the ‘Play ability effects on’ from ALL or Your Warband to YOU only. This can be done ingame with two clicks.
Nidwinqq used teabag Magus [Hysteria]

Ads
Mystriss

Post#9 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm playing from Alaska (so basically double the ping/latency from normal NA folks) I have some issues at times; probably 80% of the time if I'm fighting more than a warband of destro in oRvR, I basically have zero "time sensitive" abilities KD/slow/disarm/rear attack/self-punt/heal pot, etc. on my SW - they just don't fire off no matter how hard I pound the keyboard. My husband and I have had this crop up farming ruin occasionally as well - nothing like a heal pot not going off while fighting heros!

I will second switching to standardized nameplates that made a huge difference in frame rate, also turning off player effects made a huge difference. (Kind of a double edged sword that one, you don't see the magus pools then so you gotta watch for the damage from em. You can have just enemy effects on which is better than none. Personally I suck up the deaths to have all effects on because 1) I don't care about dying "a couple more times" because of it and 2) I want to see when other players drop moral bombs and such so I can capitalize and coordinate with them.)

That said, I don't find RoR unplayable, it's just occasionally frustrating when it's a key situation like say defending a keep or "killing their last healer" kind of deal - we just curse at the game for a few moments and move on. I will say I personally find playing solo/duo pretty lame because of it; with a group though, you'll generally get a res and be back in the fight after just a few cuss words.)

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#10 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:01 pm

I am on east coast NA and the ping isnt too bad. I get about 105 ms average, which considering its an mmo with built in gcd (i.e. you dont need sub 200ms reaction speed like in CS GO or a fighting game) isnt much of a handicap. Biggest issue is with positioning: whether getting your knockback parried while clearly behind that damn Chosen, or getting Cave-winned by that IB from 30 feet away, the influence of latency is clear (and a bummer).

I notice this more when playing against EU players, as they presumably have much less latency than I and so our relative positions as recorded by the server are more likely to not match what I see on-screen (if I understand latency correctly). But since I play mostly during NA time, its not as big of an issue.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!