Recent Topics

Ads

Client Control

Let's talk about... everything else
wiscel

Client Control

Post#1 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:49 am

Often in topics I see dev's talking about 'once we get client control'. Please can someone explain what this means exactly, what can devs do once they have full control.
Nasty - R8X Squig Herder
Mehlindy - R8X Witch Elf
Donavicenta - R8X Sorceress

Ads
Wiede

Re: Client Control

Post#2 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:37 am

As far as i understand:
Some parts of the game are determinied by serverdata (e.g. items, pvp-rewards, etc.), some parts of the game are determinied by clientdata (tooltips, skilltree-gui, etc.).

Devs are able to change serverdata, but there's no actual way for them to change client-data in an reliable way (updating client-data on our local machines with a patcher as you know it from other games).
They could probably force each an every single player to redownload the full game for each clientupdate they make, but i think nobody really wants that.
Last edited by Wiede on Wed May 02, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#3 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:41 am

^
A lot of things are in the client and we cannot change anything on the serverside that goes against the client without modifying all clients.

So client control means to be able to patch the clients of everyone that connects and make sure all clients are in the same state.

wiscel

Post#4 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:50 am

Natherul wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:41 am ^
A lot of things are in the client and we cannot change anything on the serverside that goes against the client without modifying all clients.

So client control means to be able to patch the clients of everyone that connects and make sure all clients are in the same state.
OK thank you, more clear to me now.
Nasty - R8X Squig Herder
Mehlindy - R8X Witch Elf
Donavicenta - R8X Sorceress

Martok

Post#5 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Yeah, me too, thanks.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Rodek

Post#6 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:09 pm

Do the client files people send you occasional help with this at all? Is there anything we as a community can do to help further the progress on this aspect?

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#7 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Rodek wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:09 pm Do the client files people send you occasional help with this at all? Is there anything we as a community can do to help further the progress on this aspect?
It helps us in other ways, but no the patcher is on the way :D

Hargrim
Developer

Post#8 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Rodek wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:09 pm Do the client files people send you occasional help with this at all? Is there anything we as a community can do to help further the progress on this aspect?

Those files are for us so we can look for stuff left inside by Mythic that might have been removed in later versions.

No, you cant :).

Ads
Curnil

Post#9 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:28 pm

I'm really excited about this, being a Dev myself and knowing that being able to mass distribute updates to clients will definitely help further the project, especially in this case.

Excitement Level = "Giddy"

machopi1

Post#10 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:36 pm

So, can client control ever be achieved and what would it take to do so?