Recent Topics

Ads

High elven artistry

Let's talk about... everything else
Matheoryon

High elven artistry

Post#1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:50 am

So can anyone refer me to know basically made the high elves what they look like and who they are in warhammer? I would go through ever name in the credits, but I assume someone here has already been down this road.

Ads
Rydiak

Re: High elven artistry

Post#2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:52 am

Interested in the Grace playstyle but don't know where to start? Check out my Grace guide!

Check out my Damage Calculator. Also includes extra RoR calculators! -Updated for 01/25/24 patch!

Matheoryon

Post#3 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:57 am

Well this is ccertainly the lore, though im looking for a "behind the scenes" sort of info.

Glorian

Post#4 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:45 am

Matheoryon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:57 am
Well this is ccertainly the lore, though im looking for a "behind the scenes" sort of info.
Behind the scene Info on how they were introduced into Warhammer in the 80th?

The first Elves in the early Warhammer Wolrd were a lot like the Elves from Elric of Melnibone.

The Elves of Elric were living in an Island of the Middle of the Ocean and regularly plundering and enslaving the surrounding human realms who were on a lower technological level. The Island had some kind of cave system to enter the inner realms. So they were basically sitting in Ulthuan and sometimes go on a raid to let the lesser races known who the boss is. In the first book the elves were a little inward orientated and in some kind of birth number downward spiral.

So Elric decided after a barbarian raid to turn that around. Somewhat in between when his torture master was slicing something out of the lower part of a male captured barbarian scout.

But soon afterwards **** hit the fan and his cousin or something like this took over the Throne and Melnibones Fiance who was also his sister/cousin and Elric, physically frail and mostly weak, struck a deal with a Chaos God to get everything back. Well, most of it then turned from bad to worse.
So Elric is something like Teclis who turned Maleus Darkblade style and then hit the road to find adventure and leave Melnibone behind.

So if you want to find the earliest High/Dark Elf origins, get your elric of Melnibone. :)
Especially the Artworks has everything what defines High Elves.

High helmet, the form of the swords, Dragon Riding, Platemail armorskirts.

Matheoryon

Post#5 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Glorian wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:45 am

The first Elves in the early Warhammer Wolrd were a lot like the Elves from Elric of Melnibone.

The Elves of Elric were living in an Island of the Middle of the Ocean and regularly plundering and enslaving the surrounding human realms who were on a lower technological level. The Island had some kind of cave system to enter the inner realms. So they were basically sitting in Ulthuan and sometimes go on a raid to let the lesser races known who the boss is. In the first book the elves were a little inward orientated and in some kind of birth number downward spiral.

So Elric decided after a barbarian raid to turn that around. Somewhat in between when his torture master was slicing something out of the lower part of a male captured barbarian scout.

But soon afterwards **** hit the fan and his cousin or something like this took over the Throne and Melnibones Fiance who was also his sister/cousin and Elric, physically frail and mostly weak, struck a deal with a Chaos God to get everything back. Well, most of it then turned from bad to worse.
So Elric is something like Teclis who turned Maleus Darkblade style and then hit the road to find adventure and leave Melnibone behind.

So if you want to find the earliest High/Dark Elf origins, get your elric of Melnibone. :)

This is amazing, I didnt know this about Elric being the general origin. I am a little confused on what you mean by the 80th warhammer, what does that mean? I cant find anything named that.

Manatikik

Post#6 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Matheoryon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:53 pm
Glorian wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:45 am

This is amazing, I didnt know this about Elric being the general origin. I am a little confused on what you mean by the 80th warhammer, what does that mean? I cant find anything named that.

He meant 80's. As in the 1980's.
<Montague><Capulet>

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#7 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Warhammer in general is heavily influenced by 80s fantasy and scifi aesthetic (which it in part helped define).

A lot of Warhammers art direction stems directly from the work of John Blanche. He was one of the original creative masterminds behind the universe, and his work features a lot of the "big hair, big heels, big...assets" aesthetic of 80s...everything.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Matheoryon

Post#8 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:55 pm

GodlessCrom wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:20 pm Warhammer in general is heavily influenced by 80s fantasy and scifi aesthetic (which it in part helped define).

A lot of Warhammers art direction stems directly from the work of John Blanche. He was one of the original creative masterminds behind the universe, and his work features a lot of the "big hair, big heels, big...assets" aesthetic of 80s...everything.
well thanks for pointing him out to me, blanches work is certainly interesting looking at it. I dont see 80's anything in warhammer, but the rest of his work shows it, usually in a cyberpunk sort of fashion. Any other names?

Ads
Sedok

Post#9 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:47 am

GodlessCrom wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:20 pm Warhammer in general is heavily influenced by 80s fantasy and scifi aesthetic (which it in part helped define).

The shoulder-pads really amp up the '80s caricature:

Still my favorite artwork of her though.
Live: Karak-Azgal = Sedok, Golgaroth, Sakneth / Karak-Norn = Xnohrx, Alfriger, Volgarn / Vaul's Anvil = Alfriger, Volgarn, Dolgarn

RoR: Volgarn, Golgarn, Alfriger, Kelthazuul, Sedok

Glorian

Post#10 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:20 am

MG is Mark Gibbons. He also nailed the picture of the Dwarfs for me in the 4th Edition Army Book.

Also the Dwarf Artworks and Design Items for Age of Reckoning were drawn by Mark Gibbons for the Dwarfs.