Recent Topics

Ads

When does T4 get fun?

Let's talk about... everything else
Luuca

Re: When does T4 get fun?

Post#31 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 pm

It's a social game. Build upon racial and class synergies. It demands a close knit group working together as a single unit to maximise the effectiveness of your group and the rewards you receive.

If you are not in a tight knit group with decent playstyles and synergies, you will never maximise your effectiveness nor rewards, and you will be missing most of the fun. The fun that comes from the team winning, the rewards making an impact on the group getting better at what they do in-game. It's not a grind if you are doing it well with others doing it well beside you.

Everyone will say "join a guild" but I assert that just joining some random guild will not suffice. You must be openly actively playing the very best you can play and working to help/assist/prove you know your class in order to attract other like-minded players to invite you to play with them time and again.. perhaps eventually joining their guild.

I am lucky. I have an inner need to help people. It satisfies me to know that someone else achieved their goals because of my efforts. I play tanks and healers because it's most fun for me to help others shine. I am lucky that others in this game, on this server, recognized that in me and rewarded my efforts by inviting me to join them early on. I have been having fun by helping others in this game since T2 was the cap (ya I found this late). I assert that you need to find what this game holds for you as fun. If you have fun popping big numbers on players as MRDPS, then enjoy that... be the best you can be at that.. and find others who play regularly in your play times that you can work with to have fun.

It's not all fun.. especially when you PuG Scenarios or are running around solo in ORvR (on most classes). But if you can open up your definition of fun and find a way to have fun by being an integral part of a regular group, T4 will be better.

TLDR: The fun you seek can only be found and defined by you.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#32 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:27 am

WorstNovak wrote:
wargrimnir wrote:
WorstNovak wrote:
Your unnecessarily toxic attitude aside, I have full Merc, full Anni, 4/5 Ruin, full Arcanist, and 2 Genesis pieces.

Additionally, you were the 2nd post. What would I have "followed up"? The only other post before you doesn't ask about my gear.

I think the devs need to take their ego out of the equation and look at the way they treat strangers. I've never been rude to you, derided your work, nor provided any tangible reason for you to treat me like such an outlandish asshole. In fact, I've been pretty vocally supportive of the work you all do. Are you just sub-25 years old or something? What's the deal, man?
Now we're having fun!

Have you considered your first post and title come off as unnecessarily toxic and it was responded to in kind? Let's not turn this into a battle mate. That's only going to end poorly, and I would hate to upset another stranger on the internet.

We're not shy, nor overly accommodating, and really don't like having our nose rubbed in whatever your personal negative opinion of our server implementation is. This whole thing is a work in progress, a labor of love, and we put a hell of a lot more into it by this point than you ever have, or probably ever will. You might note I also provided a helpful list of things wot to do, in case others came by to feast on the salt.

Want to have FUN? Getting a group that's having fun is absolutely paramount. Enjoy the fact this server exists at all. Push as hard as you can into the deepest corners of your mind that the concept of all this shutting down could potentially happen again in the hopefully far distant future.
You're very obviously projecting. Nothing about my post is inherently toxic nor was it intended to be so.

I had fun in T1. I had fun in midtier. I'm not having fun in T4. So I came to the only forum for the community and relayed that information and ended that relay with a question: When does it get fun?

This is why I suggested you take a step back and consider this - minus your ego. Because I am not trying to attack you or any dev - I am trying to identify if I should continuously remake lowbies or if T4 starts to resemble the tiers that come before it as you gear up.

But this is all pretty superfluous because Torquemadra just banned me for asking, "Which channel should we have this conversation in?" and on principle I now refuse to support this project in any way.

If you want to know why the playerbase isn't steadily increasing I suggest you look in a mirror because - outside of Druin - I have never interacted with any of the devs in a manner that wasn't toxic. You all seem absurdly insecure to the point that I'd bet you were teenagers if it weren't for the fact that I know at least one of you played during Live.
I honestly don't know what you're missing that other people seem to get. You've got gear, you're playing one of the more powerful classes, all your abilities and masteries should be unlocked. Maybe it's the people you're playing with? Maybe it's playing solo that doesn't feel rewarding enough? Seems this just isn't the game for you. Good luck finding whatever it is that scratches your itch for fun gameplay. Maybe come back in a year or so when things have changed and give it another shot.

Either way you've clearly missed the mark on what I had implied in the points I've made, taking it as personal attacks or an egregious display of ego. You're far from the first person to take a poorly defined and variable interpretation of fun, and make it into an issue. A zero context, low effort, general complaint about your personal experience, is quite simply not highly valued around here.

Of course instead taking the advice to not turn this into a battle and proceeding to post more inflammatory crap in other threads and continuing it in-game, there's only one real way this is going to end.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

WorstNovak
Banned

Post#33 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:53 am

Honestly, I'm glad you called me out on everything that you did. You're right, I was too aggressive in parts of that post.

Yardy

Post#34 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:18 am

Hey mate, I wouldn't want to poke the bear too much, if you wanna use it's cave.....
CRUDE big boss! (Scrubs can lead too)
Yardpig- Black Orc

Anshard

Post#35 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:02 am

WorstNovak wrote:Pretty much title.
When server comes back online :cry:

Sedok

Post#36 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:22 am

Luuca wrote:It's a social game. Build upon racial and class synergies. It demands a close knit group working together as a single unit to maximise the effectiveness of your group and the rewards you receive.

If you are not in a tight knit group with decent playstyles and synergies, you will never maximise your effectiveness nor rewards, and you will be missing most of the fun. The fun that comes from the team winning, the rewards making an impact on the group getting better at what they do in-game. It's not a grind if you are doing it well with others doing it well beside you.

Everyone will say "join a guild" but I assert that just joining some random guild will not suffice. You must be openly actively playing the very best you can play and working to help/assist/prove you know your class in order to attract other like-minded players to invite you to play with them time and again.. perhaps eventually joining their guild.
I'll echo this sentiment tenfold.

WAR's primary strength is its RvR because its rewards teamwork to the extreme, something you no longer find in post-WoW MMOs. A well-coordinated party or warband can take on substantially larger groups, and not only be well-rewarded mechanically (renown, loot bags, currency, etc.), but they are hands-down the best MMO moments ever. Eternal's 48 vs. 301 defense of Thaugamond Massif to lock CW and open city for the first time on Vaul's Anvil, is burned into my memory. The best part of that night was not getting my Sovereign helm, it was hearing 48 guys roar and flip the **** out over Vent when that zerg wiped just as CW locked. That was a **** wonderful experience.
Live: Karak-Azgal = Sedok, Golgaroth, Sakneth / Karak-Norn = Xnohrx, Alfriger, Volgarn / Vaul's Anvil = Alfriger, Volgarn, Dolgarn

RoR: Volgarn, Golgarn, Alfriger, Kelthazuul, Sedok

Sedok

Post#37 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:43 am

Tesq wrote:Some consideration on bolster ppl seems to not know which i could i figure lv up an alt during these days.

Bolster is effective in bring up raw stats but not the rest, this mean:

No equal mastery point ( less dmg increase)
No equal crit
No equal crit reduction
No equal avoidance

Basically the things which more influence the power creep into the game. You may want to skip rvr entirely till level 22 or even till rr 32 and so.
I ran a guild 6-man of lowbies through the new changes last month (we started at r16 and got to r28 before we stopped), and I'd echo your criticisms.

Lack of abilities - You can't run an effective group against even a PuG group when you're roles don't have basic functionality. No AoE staggers, no AoE roots, no late-game morales, lack of AoE detaunt, and healers don't even get group heal to r20. Trying to contend with groups that do have those abilities is flat-out impossible.

Calculation of avoidance - I'm not sure if this is what you're touching on, but I'm pretty darn sure the level difference is greatly affecting defense chances. Being a lowbie dps caster trying to kill a high-level healer is next to impossible because the former will disrupt nearly all your spells, despite the paper doll giving you an intelligence value at or near Conqueror (or tali'd Annihilator) level. This applies in reverse for lowbie tanks as well, they can barely defend anything, especially high-level melee dps.

Crit Reduction - Despite gaining a significant amount of Initiative from the bolster, it does not scale well at all past r19, so you're going to be crit *a lot*. In game where a class gets 45% crit from their mechanic alone, this a very apparent and painful problem.

Lack of tatics - In the old system, having a difference of one tactic slot isn't that bad, but now the average is 2 versus 4 and it is noticeable. Not only do higher levels get increased functionality, but they can also stay at stat caps too (which lowbies move away from around r20).

Overall, I don't mind a system that has power differences in it, as long as they can be overcome via skilled gameplay. This isn't the case at the moment.
Live: Karak-Azgal = Sedok, Golgaroth, Sakneth / Karak-Norn = Xnohrx, Alfriger, Volgarn / Vaul's Anvil = Alfriger, Volgarn, Dolgarn

RoR: Volgarn, Golgarn, Alfriger, Kelthazuul, Sedok

Tesq

Post#38 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Sedok wrote:
Tesq wrote:Some consideration on bolster ppl seems to not know which i could i figure lv up an alt during these days.

Bolster is effective in bring up raw stats but not the rest, this mean:

No equal mastery point ( less dmg increase)
No equal crit
No equal crit reduction
No equal avoidance

Basically the things which more influence the power creep into the game. You may want to skip rvr entirely till level 22 or even till rr 32 and so.
I ran a guild 6-man of lowbies through the new changes last month (we started at r16 and got to r28 before we stopped), and I'd echo your criticisms.

Lack of abilities - You can't run an effective group against even a PuG group when you're roles don't have basic functionality. No AoE staggers, no AoE roots, no late-game morales, lack of AoE detaunt, and healers don't even get group heal to r20. Trying to contend with groups that do have those abilities is flat-out impossible.

Calculation of avoidance - I'm not sure if this is what you're touching on, but I'm pretty darn sure the level difference is greatly affecting defense chances. Being a lowbie dps caster trying to kill a high-level healer is next to impossible because the former will disrupt nearly all your spells, despite the paper doll giving you an intelligence value at or near Conqueror (or tali'd Annihilator) level. This applies in reverse for lowbie tanks as well, they can barely defend anything, especially high-level melee dps.

Crit Reduction - Despite gaining a significant amount of Initiative from the bolster, it does not scale well at all past r19, so you're going to be crit *a lot*. In game where a class gets 45% crit from their mechanic alone, this a very apparent and painful problem.

Lack of tatics - In the old system, having a difference of one tactic slot isn't that bad, but now the average is 2 versus 4 and it is noticeable. Not only do higher levels get increased functionality, but they can also stay at stat caps too (which lowbies move away from around r20).

Overall, I don't mind a system that has power differences in it, as long as they can be overcome via skilled gameplay. This isn't the case at the moment.
what you had said plus not only you lack skill from mastery but also the INCREASED value you will have from those mastery skills spending points on them.

Basically:

-offensive side (for dps ) is a bit jimp, def side for a dps is pretty bad, very very bad
-defensive side (for a tank) is ok-ish (exept in vs zerg situations and depending on tank avodiance meccanic type), offensive side bad but scale okish if you consider yoruself a def tank.

Ads
NoRKaLKiLLa

Post#39 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:30 am

Sedok wrote: I'll echo this sentiment tenfold.

WAR's primary strength is its RvR because its rewards teamwork to the extreme, something you no longer find in post-WoW MMOs. A well-coordinated party or warband can take on substantially larger groups, and not only be well-rewarded mechanically (renown, loot bags, currency, etc.), but they are hands-down the best MMO moments ever. Eternal's 48 vs. 301 defense of Thaugamond Massif to lock CW and open city for the first time on Vaul's Anvil, is burned into my memory. The best part of that night was not getting my Sovereign helm, it was hearing 48 guys roar and flip the **** out over Vent when that zerg wiped just as CW locked. That was a **** wonderful experience.
I wasn't there for that, but here on RoR when T4 was first released, and taking an end zone meant capturing two keeps before the enemy could hold all 4 BOs simultaneously, and no one had yet earned a seal of domination, 90% of the population was fighting tooth and nail in Reikland and it all came down to a massive fight at the quarry... Probably the most fun I've had in rvr on RoR.

Mystry
Suspended

Post#40 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:55 pm

From what I've read here, it seems that only the cookie cutter classes get to 'have fun', since they are the only ones invited to guilds or premade groups.