no cross faction chat

Let's talk about... everything else
wender88

Re: no cross faction chat

Post#41 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Zealote wrote:
Spoiler:
wender88 wrote:Or cross dressing?
I fear I'm going off topic here but I can't resist, this was my Chosen a while ago... ;)
Lol! Blame me - I started it :D
Kenzing - Specialneedz

Ads
Idrinth
Addon Developer

Post#42 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:25 pm

Allorien wrote:Who here ever remembers live RVR servers? Anyone ever feel an urge to help their FACTION defend against a city push? (The further back one played the better; around the time of the RVR Expansion Mythic was rewarding players for just showing up...sigh).
I did feel that, I mean I did turn up as a single defender if necessary at weird hours. In any case I also enjoyed talking to the opposing side, either completely independent from the current game state or just to greet someone I met online before, thank for a fight, etc.
Why do you think one of those excludes the other?
Addons&more Addon News&Creation&Testing Addon News Blog
  • Idrinth - Swordmaster
  • Alitsa - Knight of the Blazing Sun
  • Alitza - Warrior Priestess
  • Idrynth - Disciple of Khaine

Telen
Suspended

Post#43 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:32 pm

Idrinth wrote: I did feel that, I mean I did turn up as a single defender if necessary at weird hours. In any case I also enjoyed talking to the opposing side, either completely independent from the current game state or just to greet someone I met online before, thank for a fight, etc.
Highly depends on the mentality of the other player and how much they feel those of the other faction are the enemy.
Without the motivation these things won't happen. We have xfaction. If we also have xchat no one is going to know whos an ally and whos an enemy. We will see everyone as individual and without the structure of scenarios the sides with be blurred. You will end up with people chatting and dueling and seeing rvr lakes as a social area. Not good guy green bad guy red.

ficklefetus

Post#44 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:14 pm

Telen wrote: Highly depends on the mentality of the other player and how much they feel those of the other faction are the enemy.
Without the motivation these things won't happen. We have xfaction. If we also have xchat no one is going to know whos an ally and whos an enemy. We will see everyone as individual and without the structure of scenarios the sides with be blurred. You will end up with people chatting and dueling and seeing rvr lakes as a social area. Not good guy green bad guy red.
Telen it like it is.

now, I haven't seen the effect of the xchatting personally as I have yet to install RoR ...but xchat does potentially open the door to various undesirable effects. this game may still be in alpha, and this may be a relatively 'small' issue considering current development, but make no mistake; if old WAR vets looking to scratch an itch come trickling in to check out the private server only to find indolence in the orvr lakes, they'll have little incentive to not uninstall and merely remember the glory days for what they were.

Hoping to see some of your familiar ugly mugs soon!

Allorien

Post#45 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:25 am

Idrinth wrote:I did feel that, I mean I did turn up as a single defender if necessary at weird hours. In any case I also enjoyed talking to the opposing side, either completely independent from the current game state or just to greet someone I met online before, thank for a fight, etc.
How did you enjoy talking to the opposing side on live servers?

Chatting in game should be kept to one's own faction. For reasons stated numerous times, which mostly boils down to immersion and faction loyalty.

Thank someone for a fight...hmmmm. Maybe you meant to thank them for the RP's you rightfully deserve from their dead toons corpse as you banter them on the forums while they drown in a mix of tears and blood from crying and slashing their wrists in the bathtub (because you pwned them so badly).

Chat via any other means than in game. Just like anyone who wanted to did when there were live servers.

Idrinth
Addon Developer

Post#46 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:05 am

Allorien wrote:
Idrinth wrote:I did feel that, I mean I did turn up as a single defender if necessary at weird hours. In any case I also enjoyed talking to the opposing side, either completely independent from the current game state or just to greet someone I met online before, thank for a fight, etc.
How did you enjoy talking to the opposing side on live servers?

Chatting in game should be kept to one's own faction. For reasons stated numerous times, which mostly boils down to immersion and faction loyalty.

Thank someone for a fight...hmmmm. Maybe you meant to thank them for the RP's you rightfully deserve from their dead toons corpse as you banter them on the forums while they drown in a mix of tears and blood from crying and slashing their wrists in the bathtub (because you pwned them so badly).

Chat via any other means than in game. Just like anyone who wanted to did when there were live servers.
  • IRC was common and well used for a while
  • It is not immersive, that people speaking the same languages can't understand each other. Talking has nothing to do with faction loyalties.
  • I'm actually talking about close fights, why would I try to annoy someone with me or them diing quickly?
  • And the difference to ingame chat is what exactly?
Addons&more Addon News&Creation&Testing Addon News Blog
  • Idrinth - Swordmaster
  • Alitsa - Knight of the Blazing Sun
  • Alitza - Warrior Priestess
  • Idrynth - Disciple of Khaine

Aquilon

Post#47 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:14 am

It's up to the dev-team, to decide what's what, but I remember how it was on live:

Blind hatred and blunt exasperation. Opposite faction - just another mobs. When started to play RoR, I was shocked, that gobbos can, actually, "speak" something intelligent. :lol: Is this type of "immersion" some of you are talking about? :roll:

When life is not at stake and victory is impossible (WAR wins admin, when plugs server out of power grid :lol: ), "realm pride" is utter nonsense.

And first of all: uncertainty is the most exhausting thing ever and could be an unobvious entity of WAR's decline.
Means determine end.

Sulorie

Post#48 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:50 am

Realm pride and immersion through ingame chat? Get serious.
You talk to them like you could via voicecom or external text based chat channels.
You can't stop a spy by removing cross faction chat.

It was just short sighted by the original devs.
Our current population is enough for one zone in one tier. We don't have enough to populate several tiers and an option to organise both sides is mandatory.

God damn realm pride, I think most people are looking for a good balanced fight without waiting at one or the other warcamp or sc spawn.
When you want immersion, then join a RP guild.
Dying is no option.

Ads
Telen
Suspended

Post#49 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:58 am

Sulorie wrote:God damn realm pride.
Exactly. Some people want war back.
Some want a dating sim. Theres weeaboo games on steam for that now.
Last edited by Telen on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sulorie

Post#50 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:25 am

Telen wrote:
Sulorie wrote:God damn realm pride.
Exactly. Some people want war back.
Some want a dating sim. Theres weeaboo games on steam for that now.
You only read and understand what you like, is it? :roll:
Dying is no option.