Recent Topics

Ads

Cross-mirror versus Strict mirror

Let's talk about... everything else
Gnash

Cross-mirror versus Strict mirror

Post#1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:42 pm

There's a really cool thread in General viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24450 that's seeing a lot of great suggestions/wishes for additions to our beloved game. Any reading this should check it out.

There are a few suggestions regarding strict mirroring of career abilities between realms; I just wanted to put in my two cents regarding that, but that's not the thread for it.

Cross-mirroring was one of the deciding factors for my decision to abandon W.o.W. (when lvl 60 was cap) and devote the years from then til now in this world. I'm NOT a great (or really even 'good') PvPer, but love combat against another thinking, breathing human as opposed to simply against scripted environment encounters for the "what happens next?" factor that is at the core of excitement, for me, of multiplayer games. I think that strict mirroring of careers creates too much 'sameness' between realms, making it too easy to switch realms, for those that choose that playstyle. It certainly would take away the uniqueness of each of the careers available in R.o.R. regardless of realm choice(s). It would even warrant restructuring the names of careers to classifications like "rogue", "hunter", "warrior", for both realms further eating away at one of the aspects in this awesome game that lends again to the uniqueness of each career and the backstories or career 'histories' and career-specific quests that made, and still make, this game stand apart from other homogenized games in this genre.

But beyond my opinions, there's a constant that seems to be forgotten, or just overlooked, when requests/discussions to change mirroring come up, which summed up beautifully by one of the best players I've had the privilege to fight alongside. Tesq lays it out like this:
Tesq wrote:warhammer use a different system based on each arctype, healer are the most mirrored, tank medium, dps are the more cross mirrored.

usually meccanic are perfect mirrored

lt chosen/Kobs - choppa slayer

but every classes share skills with not pair class, for exemple, both bw and magus have a tactic that make some skill undefitable., 1 tactic that heal them etc

But the correct mirror it's bw/sorc!

same for chosen, he share auras meccanic with kobs but he get IB tactics and share offensive skills with sm.

Definetly what makes war so unique, but also hard to balance. The mirror system go more in realm vs realm balance rather than perfect classes mirror
(emphasis mine) from https://returnofreckoning.com/forum/vie ... 973#p64218

The emphasized text (above in green) IS the strict mirroring those desiring such are requesting/discussing! Is it perfect? lol. Is it what makes R.o.R. the standout in games of this genre? In my opinion, yes! More to that point, it's THE factor that gives us all the thrill (or agony) of gameplay in R.o.R.: GROUP-based combat that excels when this fundamental mechanic is employed. This game was not envisioned as a solo playstyle game. Those aspects were injected at the 'last minute' prior to release so that W.A.R. would 'appeal to the masses', and from my view, did the opposite: making it unappealing to those masses in the long run.
I suggest for any who wish strict mirroring were employed, to spend a bit of time embracing the very thing they desire by, when population permitting, jumping in a group/wb or start one and see just how much of what they desire is right here, where it's always been.

Shoulder to shoulder, or toe to toe, Good Hunting! :D
Thanks for reading. ;)
"You're not 'someone' in this world until you're hated."
-GaruchillaJoe

"Warison"
-A bugle call to attack

Ads
Uncleanbus

Re: Cross-mirror versus Strict mirror

Post#2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Now I'm not a person for strict mirroring. But things that are core to the mirror should not be different IMO. The most recent things that come to mind is the nerf to quakes range on the chosen, but no range decrease on the kotbs.

peterthepan3

Post#3 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:55 pm

If you want exact mirrors, thus removing the uniqueness of the game, then I'd recommend playing WoW.

gandresch

Post#4 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:58 pm

But it seems some exact mirrors is the goal here. Like Beastmaster (WL) and Captain (marauder). With Beastmaster destro will have two pounce and i guess we will see run away on order aswell. Well the future will tell us ;)

peterthepan3

Post#5 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:02 pm

gandresch wrote:But it seems some exact mirrors is the goal here. Like Beastmaster (WL) and Captain (marauder). With Beastmaster destro will have two pounce and i guess we will see run away on order aswell. Well the future will tell us ;)

personally, i hope that's just experimenting for the sake of it (which is fine, and why not - the BM thing looks very fun, from what I've seen of torque playing it) and not indicative of anything set in stone =P There's a plethora of issues spread across nearly every other class that needs attention first! :)

HissiCNesS

Post#6 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Two pounce?? Oo
Crondar Ravenclaw (MA) / Rennoc Fleshtearer (BG)
Adrovar Warpbender (MG) / Kurgog Gorkamork (BO)

Wigbrand Jaeger (WH) / Lorandriel Moonfang (SW)
Belenos Endovelicus (BW) / Brawlgrim Thunderaxe (SL)

AVENGE THE DEAD, FREE THE ENSLAVED!

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#7 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:37 pm

Melee squig herder is also getting a pounce.

Personally, I think Slayers should then also get pounce. Call it "dwarf toss" and then dont think too hard about how a dwarf tosses himself >.>
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

TenTonHammer

Post#8 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Even if you do strict cross mirroring some classes will have advantages over others/ thier mirror, as minute a benifit whatever it might be

For example it is much easier to tell when a choppa is bezerk vs a slayer

Dwarfs like engie and rp can hide inside bushes and can heal/attack from them like cheeky wankers, which mag/zel can't do due to character models

Perhaps trivial things but advantages will still exist

Ads
Axerker

Post#9 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:26 pm

TenTonHammer wrote: Dwarfs like engie and rp can hide inside bushes and can heal/attack from them like cheeky wankers, which mag/zel can't do due to character models
A few days ago I was on a Choppa chasing a Runepriest, who was able to run in between two rocks under a small gap.

Guess who lost out on a kill by having to spend 15 seconds walking around?

You can make them appear smaller, but there's no reason not to have hit-boxes all the same size.

Nameless

Post#10 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:36 pm

The charm of the game is that both sides got different classes with different skills, mechanics, role and playstyle. You remove that and the game become quite dull for me. Deversity make the gameplay more rich and interesting. Not perfectly fair but better imo
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz