Recent Topics

Ads

WL-WE OR MAGUS?

Let's talk about... everything else
catholicism198

Re: WL-WE OR MAGUS?

Post#11 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:43 am

I always run Flame's Kiss- hence the blasting un-defendables- ...it's far more useful to me than Chaotic Attunement... I also pop Fiery Winds during capture the point/hill SCs.

Yeah, in the end it's always just play what you like, how ever you like...

Ads
Panodil

Post#12 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 am

Tried flame kiss once or twice, but ended up not using those two abilties that much. Most targets die from dot+dot, bolt of change, SVF and then one tick of IFoC.
Magus is a nice choice, its in a good place if you dont go dotspec. Good aoe damage+rift and good ST. Also very good to steal conq with solo now after changes with damage instead of kb for loot drops.
Panodil WP
Panodill DoK
Panodilz Zealot
Panodilr Runepriest
Run Shaman
Panage Archmage

Renork

Post#13 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:06 am

Torquemadra wrote:
catholicism198 wrote:It's very situational- so not the best all around choice.
Yeah, if you're perched, with a full support group, then you should be doing decent damage, but when you're constantly on the move, like in orvr, executing a full rotation (at max damage) is unlikely. I do fine blasting off un-defendables in SC but in orvr I'm lucky if I even get to cast Rend Wind, let alone Bolt of Change, before the target dies.

Not everyone is as invested as he (nuclear) is- so for a "newb" that can't decide what he wants to play- it's the worst possible choice.
again opinionative and regarding undefendables BoC isnt the only undefendable in the Magus arsenal, Flames kiss is a tactic I employ often yet is overlooked for cookie cutter yet imagine the whine if engineers not only had 40% mitigation to cut though but also had a undefendable gun blast and firebomb, even more hilarious is when you use fiery winds to make it hit 2 people and wreck tanks guarding people.

Your options with a Magus are extensive, the only limitation is the player, I would say find what suits you and what you enjoy over recommending something that you dont actually play and have only a perception of which just got that little bit of cheese cut away from it.
They do not have a place in premade fights due to very limited mobility and needing to time their attacks precisely (and hope for no disrupts), but you are correct in that they are very strong in certain areas such as keeps, defending points and pug scenarios. A magus will completely wreck a pug scenario, especially if the other side has one healer. I think that's why it's difficult to balance the class in general. They weren't run in premades back on live (outside of rift, which wasn't that much common after the nerfs) but LOTD gear made them nasty and I had a really easy time killing most classes, except WH's (50/50).

alusnova

Post#14 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 am

I'm glad torque is de-mystifying the "WL owns every class " and have ruined the game narrative , even today after all the adjustments where the WL has been brought to earth people on both sides claim the WL is still OP.

I obviously play one but I also play a WE, KoTBS, etc. Just the other day and an under 40 WE jumped me and after I killed him he sent me a whisper "op class , no skill needed to play" ... reading here and in game advice, general chat all you read is WL is OP....I bet you they can keep getting nerfed to oblivion and people will claim they are OP. I think that any class In the hands of any good player will "seemed" OP to anyone dying to them.

Aurandilaz

Post#15 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:41 am

alusnova wrote:I'm glad torque is de-mystifying the "WL owns every class " and have ruined the game narrative , even today after all the adjustments where the WL has been brought to earth people on both sides claim the WL is still OP.

I obviously play one but I also play a WE, KoTBS, etc. Just the other day and an under 40 WE jumped me and after I killed him he sent me a whisper "op class , no skill needed to play" ... reading here and in game advice, general chat all you read is WL is OP....I bet you they can keep getting nerfed to oblivion and people will claim they are OP. I think that any class In the hands of any good player will "seemed" OP to anyone dying to them.
A good DPS player can get kills with relative ease on any class, whether a dps tank, dps healer, ranged/melee/glasscannon/tanky DPS, but then proceed to give that good DPS player a class that can do 65feet leaps to catch distant targets, give it a 1.6k armor debuff which debuffs more than half of the enemy classes have to begin with and has a pet related burst that pumps out 6-7k dmg in 4-5 seconds, then hell yeah, a good player on such a class who knows how to play will make the class the very definition of OP. ;)

Skilled players can make even mediocre classes look lethal, but because how "well adjusted" the WL class design is, you need to be just mediocre as a player to leash out amazing burst and enjoy the awesome mobility when the class happens to be White Lion. :)

Coma

Post#16 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:28 am

Aurandilaz wrote:
alusnova wrote:I'm glad torque is de-mystifying the "WL owns every class " and have ruined the game narrative , even today after all the adjustments where the WL has been brought to earth people on both sides claim the WL is still OP.

A good DPS player can get kills with relative ease on any class, whether a dps tank, dps healer, ranged/melee/glasscannon/tanky DPS, but then proceed to give that good DPS player a class that can do 65feet leaps to catch distant targets, give it a 1.6k armor debuff which debuffs more than half of the enemy classes have to begin with and has a pet related burst that pumps out 6-7k dmg in 4-5 seconds, then hell yeah, a good player on such a class who knows how to play will make the class the very definition of OP. ;)

Skilled players can make even mediocre classes look lethal, but because how "well adjusted" the WL class design is, you need to be just mediocre as a player to leash out amazing burst and enjoy the awesome mobility when the class happens to be White Lion. :)
this ^^

a class being OP doesn't necessary means that the class is above other simply in term of numbers... there are also thing like complexity (a less compless class is less open to mistake/external interference, this means that it is more likely to perfomr to the best of it's possibility regardless of the circumstances), learning curve (if you need 2 month to reach the top with one class and 2 week with a different one it means that with the second one you have a 6 week advantage when it come to refine your gamestyle... it become little over the long rune... but n a 4-5 month it can be game changing ^^), compatibility (having an advantage or weakness against a specific class can change a lot based on how important widespread the other class is... for example having problem with dps AM is a lot less treathning than having problme with BW) and finally game trends (having powerfull anti ranged ability in a game where there is a trend that focus on melee is of little importance... but having a nice anti melee ability in that same enviorment is much more usefull...)

so... don't look at things in a vacum... look at the surraunding and analyze various aspect... and you will see that WL may or may not be OP... but certainly have some powerfull advantage where it count ;)

alusnova

Post#17 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:19 am

Aurandilaz wrote:

See there it is again still thinking the pet does 6-7k dmg in 4 seconds and the WL does what another 4-5k and wtfpowns every one? Its the perception that simply wont go away heck in one of tbe WL Guardian thread an experienced player (wont name him ...rr74 WE ) claims the WL are OP because they can:

Pounce , armor debuff, have 50% AA, KD , Cull Crit , heal debuff and use Stalker tactic with LF for an awesome missile pet all at the same time! lol although those abilities does exist you have to decide which path to take you can't have KD/LF if you spec to heal debuff and cull and use TTH for 50%aa for example , it's comical really as there isn't enough mastery points and tactic slots for all of the toys.

The WL have 2 defines paths now:

Axe/hunt where the WL does the dps and the pet simply is there for annoyance as or the Guardian path where the pet does the dmg but your dps suffers since you have to stack toughness and wounds to make the pet strong. Again I agree that the class is strong but it's also been adjusted down and you say WL has an advantage because of the 65f pounce? Just like a WE/WH has an advantage when stealthed? Or a squig snaring you and disarming you from range? A DoK with their 1 button skill healing themselves ? Etc ,etc all classes have their specific advatnages not just the WL.

Njaguar

Post#18 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:55 am

@torq all i wait for is the new beast class mate. When when when :D

Ads
Aceboltz

Post#19 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:25 am

Some GMs had to invent a new destro class, with WL level of opness to tolerate playing destro... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Meanwhile the playerbase is left with a carrot on a stick: "one day when we get client control you squigs will be super sayan and you will have batman on your team"...

Warfare80

Post#20 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:42 am

As people have said earlier,you should try all three classes and see for yourself wich one you get the best feeling with.
WL and WE is very good in solo/small scale roaming. Magus also works very good in bigger fights.
If you ever want to join any organised WB you wont get any spots if you play WL/WE. Those classes are not welcome there.
But once again,try all three classes and see wich one you enjoy the most. Good luck and have fun out there :)
The "look ma, I posted on the forums" award goes to...
Spoiler:
1 *****
2 Warfare80
3 ******************