Recent Topics

Ads

How "Hard" is Iron Breaker [and other dwarfs]

Let's talk about... everything else
Breidr

How "Hard" is Iron Breaker [and other dwarfs]

Post#1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I've gotten a Chosen to T4 and the character plays fine. I'm still in the process of learning, but I'll get there.

I'm not really feeling the Chaos vibe and was interested in another race, dwarfs. I keep reading about how complicated an IB can be, so I'm a little worried. I don't have my heart set on IB, but of all the dwarfs he's my favorite.

I just want to be dwarf and send greenskins to meet Mork.

Ads
Eathisword

Re: How "Hard" is Iron Breaker [and other dwarfs]

Post#2 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Play it if your heart appeals to it ! It's a fun class.

I'd say it is not more hard than other tank to do the basics. To play it at full potential, you would need to feel confortable with 24+ keybinds.
Farfadet, RR72 shaman
Volgograd, RR80 IB
Video thread here.

rmpl

Post#3 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Eathisword wrote:Play it if your heart appeals to it ! It's a fun class.

I'd say it is not more hard than other tank to do the basics. To play it at full potential, you would need to feel confortable with 24+ keybinds.
or nerfedbuttons

peterthepan3

Post#4 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 pm

to play it to an acceptable level, i.e. taking you in a group, takes more commitment than any other tank. Lots of micromanagement involved. Highly recommend buffhead/aura/dufftimer.

ToXoS

Post#5 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:12 pm

The class mechanic is too hard to truly master and not rewarding enough imo.

Ofc you can play it more simply. Just do your job as a tank (challenge, interrupt, guard swap, applying CC when needed, other protection, surviving, etc...), only use your grudges for the self heal, and keep them high to be unkillable.

But if what you want is to kill greenskins, I'll suggest you to watch Volgo's tutorials about 2H IB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spG-WKY ... Eathisword

ragafury

Post#6 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Breidr wrote:I've gotten a Chosen to T4 and the character plays fine. I'm still in the process of learning, but I'll get there.

I'm not really feeling the Chaos vibe and was interested in another race, dwarfs. I keep reading about how complicated an IB can be, so I'm a little worried. I don't have my heart set on IB, but of all the dwarfs he's my favorite.

I just want to be dwarf and send greenskins to meet Mork.
I got an low IB 40/37 and a low BG 40/40.
I stayed away from the aura tanks aka chosen / kotbs.

First of all: Don't be worried. It's just a game. You can grow into classes.

Comparing all those of my tanks in terms of difficulty: BO (easiest) > BG > IB (hardest).
Though while saying this, BG and IB (especially IB) are imo skillbloated, and imo not in a good way. some skills are "situational" to express it in a very mild way.
Also I got always the feeling my IB is resource starving while my BG is on 100 Hatred till I start to spam spender skills down to 0 and perhabs 5 secs later I'm back to 100. My IB needs more heavy thinking on how to spend recources and cooldowns efficient in very short time.
Especially IB is loaded with a lot of "on paper" usefull buffs for you and your oathbuddy, but in paxis, those buffs never stack cause of pots, other buff sources and so on besides truly unique ones like the resistance shields (I think at least they are kinda unique lol) and parry.

If you are familar with RTS games: I would say that IB / BG are micro intensive, and really specialize on getting best outcome via smart decisionmaking in terms of rotation and proper buff distribution.

Though, it's not impossible to get a grip and play them decent. in the core the class does the same / fullfill the same role as other tank classes, but they need much more work and detication if they want to not totally fall off. (the auras are atm a "I win" argument from a support pov)

perhabs just as a sidenote, since idk how familar you are with the "considered" meta but usual tank setups consist of KotbS + KotbS or Kotbs + SM. IB is very niche, in both 6 man, were it's close to non existent and wb, were there only "spot to shine" is in guarding suicidal backline dyving slayers and Magnetize Engies.

On the other hand, your realm is always crying for more tanks, and not many players here "go pro", in fact there is almost no "scene" the legend says, so follow your intentions I would say, just a service so you know were you are heading.

So go for it if you like the visuals and the gameplay in a more immersive way (manbabies :lol: v greenskins).

A pro point also: you can consider both working: 2hd and SnB specc (with the restrictions I pointed out).
Last edited by ragafury on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

ragafury

Post#7 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:15 pm

- double post lel-
Last edited by ragafury on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

Esperflame

Post#8 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:16 pm

ToXoS wrote:The class mechanic is too hard to truly master and not rewarding enough imo.

Ofc you can play it more simply. Just do your job as a tank (challenge, interrupt, guard swap, applying CC when needed, other protection, surviving, etc...), only use your grudges for the self heal, and keep them high to be unkillable.

But if what you want is to kill greenskins, I'll suggest you to watch Volgo's tutorials about 2H IB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spG-WKY ... Eathisword
You think? I keep my grudges full constantly once I'm in a fight. I think Grudge management isn't difficult, but you do need to pay some attention to it.
Karnak (Ironbreaker), Hadebrandt (KotBS), Quigon (Swordmaster), Rakthraka (Black Orc), Thulza (Chosen), Braerithryn (Blackguard)

"Yeah, I play all the tanks. I've got beef!" - Me

Ads
Eathisword

Post#9 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Grudge is not per say difficult. But you need to change oathfriend to stay full. Its like a good dps healer: you need to pay attetion to offensive and defensive target + do your normal tank job.

Any matter. At start of server i chose it cause it looked good. Same for RP. If you like it play it, and stick to it. And as your toon grows you’ll get better and better. Improving on a class with a high skillcap is fun.
Farfadet, RR72 shaman
Volgograd, RR80 IB
Video thread here.

Eathisword

Post#10 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Double... my phone hates me
Farfadet, RR72 shaman
Volgograd, RR80 IB
Video thread here.