Recent Topics

Ads

Tanks Guard

Let's talk about... everything else
Axerker

Re: Tanks Guard

Post#11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Fallenkezef wrote:This is one of the reasons two tanks guarding each other is very effective, especialy in a scenario holding an objective
It works if the enemy is attempting to single down a target (most of the time this occurs), but is a bit less effective if both tanks are being attacked equally (less common, but still occurs).

One thing to note is that splitting damage with cross guarding is harder on healers. Its easier to spam heals on a single target than to shift between two targets back and forth. The healer loses a lot of precious partial seconds by having to shift targets (whether by clicking, which can be really difficult, or by ally cycling, which is pretty easy to either pass up your intended target or cycle through 5 other people before you find them). I'd rather have a single tank getting nuked down then have to heal two tanks for 50% damage each, to be honest.

Ads
Fallenkezef

Post#12 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Axerker wrote:
Fallenkezef wrote:This is one of the reasons two tanks guarding each other is very effective, especialy in a scenario holding an objective
It works if the enemy is attempting to single down a target (most of the time this occurs), but is a bit less effective if both tanks are being attacked equally (less common, but still occurs).

One thing to note is that splitting damage with cross guarding is harder on healers. Its easier to spam heals on a single target than to shift between two targets back and forth. The healer loses a lot of precious partial seconds by having to shift targets (whether by clicking, which can be really difficult, or by ally cycling, which is pretty easy to either pass up your intended target or cycle through 5 other people before you find them). I'd rather have a single tank getting nuked down then have to heal two tanks for 50% damage each, to be honest.
Aye it's situational. Does work nicely in prenade SC's I have noticed but often that is due to inexperienced players unloading on the guy sat on the flag and ignoring everything else
Alea iacta est

nocturnalguest

Post#13 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:02 am

Axerker wrote: So far, I have not seen myself take pretty much any damage from Guarding an ally.
Probably you are doing something wrong or don't actually check and monitor logs, guard damage should be on your top 3.
Or you judge from a pug play pov.

ragafury

Post#14 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:54 am

50%, at least of my deaths, are caused by guard in rvr.
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

Axerker

Post#15 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:03 pm

nocturnalguest wrote:
Axerker wrote: So far, I have not seen myself take pretty much any damage from Guarding an ally.
Probably you are doing something wrong or don't actually check and monitor logs, guard damage should be on your top 3.
Or you judge from a pug play pov.
k

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#16 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:14 pm

They may have phrased it a bit harshly but they are right. Guard is the primary purpose of a tank, in addition to CC. And if you are guarding proper targets (i.e. melee dps, or focused target to whom you swap) then Guard will be a massive portion of the damage you take.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Axerker

Post#17 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:31 pm

GodlessCrom wrote:They may have phrased it a bit harshly but they are right. Guard is the primary purpose of a tank, in addition to CC. And if you are guarding proper targets (i.e. melee dps, or focused target to whom you swap) then Guard will be a massive portion of the damage you take.

To be honest, I both agree and disagree. Guard is a primary function of tanks. But if Guarding factors in the mitigation of your target and not you, then you're taking probably 3-5x more damage than you would be if the enemy was attacking you. Ideally, the enemy would be ignoring you and focusing on squishies. This doesn't happen that often for a lot of cases. Many players are proximity attackers. They'll sit there and spam spell after spell on a tank rather than move to the target 10 feet behind him. They shouldn't, of course. But many do.

If you're taking Guard damage that is effectively making you take 300% more damage, you're going to die a lot faster. The tank's job is to take damage for people (which Guard does), but do so as long as possible. You're wasting efficiency by taking Guard damage over soaking the damage that enemies are mistakenly throwing at you instead of the squishy. If you're Guarding, you'll die faster and then you're useless to the whole WB, rather than being alive and being the target of the enemy players that aren't smart enough to move to another target and ignore you. This also doesn't account for spamming Hold the Line, in my opinion. Guard helps a single ally survive twice as long. Hold the Line helps up to 5 members survive 15% longer, which is a total of 65% reduction over Guard's 50%, and your survivability is increased 45% at the same time, meaning your group's overall survival is 105% higher, compared to Guard being 50% for one ally (and 50% less for you, so pretty much cancelling it out anyways, since you're taking a crap ton more damage than you would be). Ideally you Guard and Hold the Line for the best effect, so this is all kinda moot anyways.

TL;DR: Guard would be much more effective if it used the tank's mitigation on their portion, rather than the ally's. Everyone knows the tank's job is to help keep allies alive. But everyone also knows that Tanks/Healers are much more necessary than DPS (not my words, most everyone else's here - including GMs). You're trading your Tank for a DPS by Guarding, because all that is happening is your Tank is just taking 50% of the health damage, and not 50% of the damage before mitigation, meaning they're going to die as fast as a DPS, specifically to only keep a single DPS alive in their place. Not worth it, in theory, unless you only have 1 DPS left and know you can't kill the enemy on your own.

All that being said, I still Guard, and swap Guards to focused targets. But thinking about it in more detail, Guarding seems like a waste to trade your Tank for a DPS. I think the goal is more to give healers more time to heal up both targets to avoid a DPS getting bursted down instantly, which is what makes Guard worth using, even at the cost of wasting 50% of your tank's health (assuming they have the same health, which they normally will not, just using 50% as a simple placeholder, it'll probably be more like 25-35%). This is why Guard tanks stack Wounds, while ones who don't Guard as often stack Armor or Toughness, since those stats are wasted on damage you take from Guard, and Wounds makes the trade more favorable (50% ally health = 20% your health, etc.).

This is getting a bit out of hand, but still technically within the topic. Sorry for such a long post, and I appreciate the feedback. Overall, I always Guard, and shift Guard to focused targets as often as possible. But, after typing this up and learning that Guard does not factor your own mitigation in, I can definitely see why some tanks choose not to Guard to increase their own survival.

shaggyboomboom

Post#18 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:34 pm

This really sounds like a l2p issue, either your play style, your gear or your group is unoptimal. If you pug, well, accept the consequences.

Ads
Axerker

Post#19 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:36 pm

shaggyboomboom wrote:This really sounds like a l2p issue, either your play style, your gear or your group is unoptimal. If you pug, well, accept the consequences.

I don't think you have any clue as to what you're talking about. If you're not going to post something worth reading that adds feedback to the topic, don't post. No need to be a **** because you can't understand the points that have been brought up.

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#20 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Sorry m8, but are 100% wrong, tanks are just as important if not moreso than dps and its all due to Guard, HtL and CC. But mostly guard. Without guard, melee dps cannot function against competent foes. In PuG situations, of your dps is 100% idiotic and just suicides over and over again into enemy blob (slayers and choppas are like...sexually attracted to doing this it seems) then yeah, just float guard to healers/rdps as necrssary cuz 1 tank+1 dps against enemy blob=dead and useless.

But in any situation where you arent auto losing against enemy, Guard is the most important skill in the game for tank.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!