Recent Topics

Ads

Let's talk: what would make YOU want to group?

Let's talk about... everything else
Penril

Re: Let's talk: what would make YOU want to group?

Post#41 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Jaycub wrote:It's not the community they want, but it's the community they have
Actually I would say it's the other way around. This is not the WAR you might want, but it is the WAR you have.

As for s*** talking, there is a difference between "Zaxxed", "Easy", etc. and "go diaf and suck a **** you **** noob". One is perfectly fine and allowed. The other one is obviously not.

Ads
Manatikik

Post#42 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:47 pm

Penril wrote:
Jaycub wrote:It's not the community they want, but it's the community they have
Actually I would say it's the other way around. This is not the WAR you might want, but it is the WAR you have.

As for s*** talking, there is a difference between "Zaxxed", "Easy", etc. and "go diaf and suck a **** you **** noob". One is perfectly fine and allowed. The other one is obviously not.
Yea you guys really need to control that Zaxxed **** better , its getting out of hand :P

I would group more if my noobie guildmates would stop xrealming to destro.
<Montague><Capulet>

Eathisword

Post#43 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:49 pm

peterthepan3 wrote:
Spoiler:
Eathisword wrote:Bah... soloing is fun. Grouping was fun. My group from live doesn't play anymore. I think for a lot of people it might be the : ''been there, done that'' feeling. I was in a group that played 5-6 times a week, same hours, same comp, etc. Was a group that played in Daoc, then in WAR, then in WoW. Now we are all older, have responsabilities and we don't play together anymore.

I won't ever get ''that'' feeling I had with them in all probability. So grouping in any tryhard meaningful way seem pointless.
I do feel that a large amount of it is exactly for the reasons that you have said, i.e. been there done that. Is there nothing that would reinvigorate your desire to go tryhard?! :D
I wish. When I get in my 60s, I can be hardcore again. My kids will have left the house, my wife will have divorced me and I won't have a job anymore :lol:
Farfadet, RR72 shaman
Volgograd, RR80 IB
Video thread here.

Jaycub

Post#44 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:55 pm

Shalktonin wrote:
Jaycub wrote:The other side effect being no shittalking allowed which really kills the feeling of rivalries.
Since when is **** talking not allowed. There is a line and some people don't know how to not cross that line but trashing people should not be a requirement for community. I honestly think you've got a bit of a grudge there and letting it twist your response.

Edit: also love how you took a topic that was completely non political and warped it.
I cant even jump on people, I single handedly got fireworks a cooldown because I was using them on people I killed. Simple things like "EZ" put me on edge because if there is a GM on the other team they could be in a bad mood and try and use their vague "don't be a ****" rule to get me on anything.

I'm not complaining because I cant call people obscene words and berate them in tells, and I know I'm not the only one afraid to use in game chat for anything other than LFG or getting knowledge on zones or strictly game related questions.

There shouldn't even be a line to cross, if people are dicks... they will get ostracized by the community. No need to police it so hard.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

Skazur

Post#45 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:01 pm

I hate soloing cause of zero balance.
I cannot fit in fight more warbands (zergs) than I still do in DAoC (since X years after the death of the 8v8-com). We do have 3 times a week we play together our... freaky high rr toons and thats it. Pure relaxing surfing.

But the main reason is missing ppl. who simply want to play competitive a few hours. Nearly all of my old teams left the game since the live has closed.
So I'm enyoiing the sc's and pve (twinks!).

Draugris

Post#46 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Jaycub wrote:I could write a novel on how AA does this perfectly and what WAR could learn from that game but I don't see the point really.
Do you mean ArcheAge with AA ? I hope not because that was the worst community i ever experienced in a video game. The chat was full with racial slurs and general hatespeech, absolutely disgusting. If you can´t rival somebody with the smallest sense of sportsmanship or if you can only rival somebody if you can insult him maybe you shouldn´t pvp at all. And i am for sure thankful that this kind of behaviour is not tolerated here.
Live: Carroburg -> Santorro (WH), The first Guard (TfG)

adei

Post#47 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Jaycub wrote:Community is a huge thing, I wouldn't of played this game even a fraction of what I have if not for my guild. Community on this game is really weird, Ego problems that have always perverse this game because player skill is so muddled in the fog of unbalanced numbers in RvR and pug groups in scenarios most of the time. And the staff here making sure any non-PC talk is pretty much bannable offense in open channels is a detriment to community as a whole. It's not the community they want, but it's the community they have and virtually 99.9999% of all online games with more than 10 people have. The other side effect being no shittalking allowed which really kills the feeling of rivalries. I could write a novel on how AA does this perfectly and what WAR could learn from that game but I don't see the point really.
There is a line for when trashtalk turns into harassment, you should know this, to say that any form of non-PC talk is bannable is just a political agenda.

Jaycub wrote:I cant even jump on people, I single handedly got fireworks a cooldown because I was using them on people I killed. Simple things like "EZ" put me on edge because if there is a GM on the other team they could be in a bad mood and try and use their vague "don't be a ****" rule to get me on anything.

I'm not complaining because I cant call people obscene words and berate them in tells, and I know I'm not the only one afraid to use in game chat for anything other than LFG or getting knowledge on zones or strictly game related questions.

There shouldn't even be a line to cross, if people are dicks... they will get ostracized by the community. No need to police it so hard.
I find that hard to believe, there is nothing wrong with jumping on people as a standalone, I get corpsejumped everytime I die, again - There is a line between trashtalk and harassment, people who still don't understand this are too caught up in the memes and don't actually read the ban reports when people get banned for these types of things. If we left things up to the community to police with these matters, it would be a giant shitshow for lack of a better word, with friends protecting friends.

And this also sums up my personal reason for not wanting to group, been there done that. For me on this server there is too much political stuff and ego in grouping, plus as a GM I have to go and sort something out half the time, and that gets old.

Just my personal opinion.

Wam

Post#48 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:45 pm

nice topic

For Sc's...
Spoiler:
I duo for more fun/relaxed/challange/like minded randomness/break from leading instead of bring premade and try hard to dominate (becomes too easy kills the fun)... already did that on live which was alot more competitive and had alot more depth on Karak Norn in the early days... like some people said waiting for que's, or relying on six people to have time in sync for Sc's, it put's more pressure on performance / boring pug farm and become's all about results instead of just enjoying the game, although random pug play can be pretty frustrating when you out heal healers whilst playing a tank... some tanks not playing the part or guarding and some dps doing less damage than tanks, but its pug you take the rough with the smooth so have to lower expectations and standards... but it's cool to bump into people who know what they are doing and have mini rivals.

For WB/Orvr
Spoiler:
it's different because there are no que's... and numbers difference (if its in enemy favour) can make up for the challenge (but it can be snoozefest if your own faction is dominating due to lack of constant action/quality of fights)
More leaders and more competitive play at 6 man and 24 man level would make for a healthier server... just not many people can be bothered to join active guild or lead one, the server is very fragmented and it shows with the number of guild's and lack of powerful/impactful alliances. I remember Karak norn being great on live because the sheer number of strong guild's (in the early days) that would IMO dominate ROR too, just like they dominated in GW2 also... even the mid tier casual guilds was fairly competitive from both factions. Then at the top in my eyes on order RG/VII/Crimson and destro HOB/Orz&Co/Tainted&Tup alliance amongst others. There was atleast 10 guilds on either side that could be considered a threat.

In ORVR on Destro, TUP/Phalanx = Threat... Maybe King Ocara if he has a good setup
on order CNTK/BS = Threat

Lag being the biggest threat of them all =D closely followed by numbers and siege and complaceny.

There is a couple others that are maybe threat but are too inconsistant (harder for me to see Destro wbs performance or NA)

Leading
Spoiler:
it isn't rewarding... leading is draining and not really appreciated (i've seen alot of leaders burn out, especially order pug leaders)

Organised play (if you played organised for bags/rewards... with recent change just got told Quantity > Quality... get one kill for your white bag and move to next zone lol... get top kills in the zone and stop lock = white bag... get 1 kill in next zone get gold bag :D)

The reward is the fights and action itself... but for material reward or character progression organised play isn't really rewarded after you reach a certain point especially after bag system (which to be fair was broken before, but hey atleast everyone get white bag now which will reward people for not contributing)
I am thankful that the issues effecting some people from grouping don't happen in my guild thus far :) (alot of those issues look avoidable though if you have a solid guild structure)

More competition would make me want to group more to be honest... I like Wb Vs WB more then zerg vs zerg... and with different strong wb's present different challenges, playstyles/attitudes. You wipe enemy wb, then 30 seconds later find another group to face... instead of wipe a group and wait 5-30 minutes to face them again in rematch. Constant varied and challenging action is best in orvr in my eyes :)

we use to group daily when order was stronger (5wbs always) and we was smaller... but I feel its not healthy for guild/server/order/self if i lead every day again... ghost town population in primetime eu is not ideal for action based guilds it gets old fast.
Wamizzle Guild Leader [TUP]
Wamizzle Guild Leader [The Unlikely Plan]

Ads
Vajazzle24

Post#49 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:46 pm

I run solo because it is fun for me. That is all I want out of this game, fun.

What would get me to group (since that's the topic).

-Probably less meta driven 6v6s. (Group vs Group fights I've watched are very boring. I can see why many solo, WB or Zerg)
-Not having a RL
-Server that actually does have group vs group fights which you don't have to arrange. (As a daoc 8man veteran I prefer this but since it's near non-existent why bother when I can have more fun soloing).

Daoc freeshards are the 8man crowd freeshards. Not the case here. Though I've always been a 8man in daoc, I've also been pro-play how you want. Since that's how you truly retain players. Which for the most part this server does a good job of.
Vajazzle <Montague> 40/48 WL
Vajazzlezz <Montague> 40/35 IB

Equinsu Ocha <Molon Labe> 40/54 WE (currently playing)

peterthepan3

Post#50 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Some really good points so far, keep them coming.