Recent Topics

Ads

Let's talk: what would make YOU want to group?

Let's talk about... everything else
Darks63

Re: Let's talk: what would make YOU want to group?

Post#31 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:03 pm

My reason is fatigue and a desire for independence. In the past on live i was part of a few 6/8-10 man zerg buster guilds. While it was exhilarating to win and even lose when the odds are stacked against you doing it for 6 hours or more is very taxing/tiring.

Also when you are a part of any group you have to move by their pace not your own. This on top of being taxing also means surrendering whatever objectives i had for that session. As a result I like pugging more since it is low commitment play where i can come and go as I please.
Tourist SW 40/50+<Zaxxed> Discotec 40/40+<IRONIC>

Former Pragg/Badlands Destro Iron Rock/Badlands Order player.

Ads
OldPlayer
Former Staff

Post#32 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Personal opinion only. Persuasion is futile.

Cons of grouping for me:

1) Time to organize: you must prepare exact schedule for RL time when you group can play. You cannot be sure that all people will appear to join the group. We all became older and more responsible, many of former WAR players are no longer students, they have RL responsibilities, families, hobbies etc. No children play the game now.

2) Time losses due to sudden "Need to AFK", "BRB", "Baby cries", "Wife needs meet to fulfil my husband's obligations". I have played in very good premade for 2 weeks everday, counting time invested I admit that 50 % of the time we were waiting for someone to return back. Combining this with schedule from point 1 and obligations of everyone, it soon becomes stressful.

3) Hobby becomes job: you no longer play what you want and when you want, because the group needs you in special build, with special gear and special tactics. I know some players who hide from their guilds on alts because they do not want to play in the group/warband during that particular moment. Sad, but true.

4) No feel of heroism. You know that your group can easily vanquish pug groups and totally crush poor people who queue non-pug scenario. I saw 3-men group of destro defeating 2 warbands of Order in Thunder Mountain one day. They were 2 SH and 1 DoK. I feel much more heroic fighting alone or in very small numbers, where every pressed button matters.

5) No feel of victory when playing premade vs. premade. If one group is better gear/skill-wise, they easily win. If both groups are similar, they spend lots of time trying to kill each other. After many minutes they bow to each other or another group comes to help.

6) Voice comms are tiring ears. I work with people and I am very tired of sounds. Some people play the game while being intoxicated, some people want to make funny jokes, some people want to speak about their feelings. It is all very important to me, but I prefer to play in silence or with pleasant people.

7) Lack of new friends and new enemies. Playing in group makes you known as "premade player", many people consider you as "part of a certain group", no longer seeing you as an individual player. You are "one of them".

Remember that WAR was the game that brought the concept of open groups/warbands and public quests to MMO genre, therefore opening MMOs to casuals. Now many games do not ask for forced grouping, nor should it be so.

Personal opinion only. Persuasion is futile.
magicthighs wrote:Finding bugs is what players are for. The RoR team itself doesn't have the people nor the time to do that.

Ugle

Post#33 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:26 pm

OldPlayer wrote:snip
/Thread
inactive

Shalktonin

Post#34 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:33 pm

peterthepan3 wrote:
Telperien wrote:For me are required Comms. I used to hate talking while focusing on my game. Now it's ok for but only with ppl I know. Joining random /5 group and listen to their chats (v often they are bunch of friends with one or two slots open). I think some working add-on like War's Enemy calling feature would help a lot.
Fair enough. For what it's worth, some of the best players I've been in comms with are those who have never said a word, but just listened.
and there in lies my problem having a hearing impairment most guilds and groups won't take on the hassle of having to repeat themselves. Thats why i love BT even if i'm not EU time they repeat their commands so even people like me can get the point. That and non eof them care if i hear em or nt as long as they get healed
Scientia potentia est, tene hanc bene

peterthepan3

Post#35 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Good points, OldPlayer. There does seem to be a staleness in the premade scene, with the same groups emerging, the same people, etc. Hence why I am hoping one day we can see more new faces emerging from the shadows.

Telen
Suspended

Post#36 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Its more fun to group in a new game when you're finding stuff out together. Once you've settled in with a bunch of people you get on with you'll tend to move from game to game with them. I love War but the game is old. I wouldn't expect it to have the open community a new game does.

Dungeons might make me come back and look into getting into a guild as by this point they would feel fresh again. Meny of my friendships on live came out of pve not pvp.

Penril

Post#37 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:03 pm

Sometimes I simply don't want to group up because I am running a different, non-meta spec/class or the group that invites me is not optimal (1 tank 2 mdps, or no heal/armor debuffs, etc.). I don't like losing if I am in a premade (though I have no issues getting absolutely stomped if i am solo).

Jaycub

Post#38 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Groups are sort of commitments, grouping up with people you don't even know and no kind of metric for skill (mmr whatever) you have no idea what you are getting are really I find that in my adventures outside my guild grouping is just a absolute headache with players I don't know well. Maybe I'll see someone doing great on dps in a scenario and duo que with them on my tank that I was playing but that's the end of it.

Community is a huge thing, I wouldn't of played this game even a fraction of what I have if not for my guild. Community on this game is really weird, Ego problems that have always perverse this game because player skill is so muddled in the fog of unbalanced numbers in RvR and pug groups in scenarios most of the time. And the staff here making sure any non-PC talk is pretty much bannable offense in open channels is a detriment to community as a whole. It's not the community they want, but it's the community they have and virtually 99.9999% of all online games with more than 10 people have. The other side effect being no shittalking allowed which really kills the feeling of rivalries. I could write a novel on how AA does this perfectly and what WAR could learn from that game but I don't see the point really.

I think in order to get solo players to want to group up they need an incentive, or a modern system like OW/dota/CSGO uses to group players together. Right now it's more trouble than it's worth grouping up with random people, and it's always been that way even on live.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

Ads
SilverWF
Suspended

Post#39 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Nothing would force me to join a group, if I don't want to, even if they'll remove renown gain while OoG - I'll better would drop the game then.

There is a reason, why I can join a group: if I want to get healed or ressed sometimes.
Bretin: "destru classes are in general better for solo play" :lol:
A lot of addons here | Just a few T3 vids from live game | Remove IP-blocking at forum!

Shalktonin

Post#40 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Jaycub wrote:The other side effect being no shittalking allowed which really kills the feeling of rivalries.
Since when is **** talking not allowed. There is a line and some people don't know how to not cross that line but trashing people should not be a requirement for community. I honestly think you've got a bit of a grudge there and letting it twist your response.

Edit: also love how you took a topic that was completely non political and warped it.
Scientia potentia est, tene hanc bene