Recent Topics

Ads

How much dmg are dmg procs on weapons actually worth?

Let's talk about... everything else
Zxul

How much dmg are dmg procs on weapons actually worth?

Post#1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 pm

Taking for example Midnight sword from epic quest, with proc 5% for 450 dmg over 9 sec.

5% for 450 gives an average of 22.5 dmg added per hit. 1 dps is worth 5 str, so in theory 22.5 extra dps per hit= 22.5 x5 = 112.5 worth of str that the proc is worth.

5% isn't too often, so the proc shouldn't overlap too much.

As an extra bonus, it doesn't scales with str so should ignore mitigation from toughness on target.

So am I missing something, or is the proc worth 112.5 extra str, putting Midnight ahead in dps compared to say t4 inf weapons?
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
Coma

Re: How much dmg are dmg procs on weapons actually worth?

Post#2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:25 am

if you only take into account damage from AA... than yes... but once skill enter the fray thngs get much more complicated...

DPS is not simply added to skill damage, each skill has a specific coefficent that is applied to dps in order to calculate the fanal damage of the skill, some may have a coefficent below 1, while other have much more (if memory serve me right Fireball have a coefficent of 2,5 or somthing like that... but that was a value from live.. and from one of the early incarnation of the game)... Dot generaly have a high coefficent when calculating the total damage of the DoT while abilities that have "additional effects" generally have alower coefficent (this is speaking in general... some abilities could actualy run counter to this trend ^^')

so thing are much more complicated than a simple addition of dps ;)

NoRKaLKiLLa

Post#3 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:26 am

I may be mistaken, but running the enemy addon's damage log component against the same mob for a specific amount of time but using different gear/builds will be the closest thing a player would have access to in regards to a damage output calculator.

lefze
Suspended

Post#4 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:40 am

For overall damage the procs aren't that great, but the added burst of the instant ones is really awesome when it procs at the right moment. And for spammy specs they are definetly infrequent, but proc enough to be a valuable asset.

Though I would never use the epic quest weapons for damage procs over SC weps if you have them. Subjugator is great though.
Rip Phalanx

Annaise16

Post#5 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:48 am

Is the dps meter add-on available? It can show you how of your dps comes from each ability including weapon proc's for any playing period. You just reset it t the start of the period and then check it at the end. I still have the add-on running on all my toons, but I downloaded it from curse back in 2012.

If the ROR doesn't have it, I might be able to upload the add-on to this website.

lefze
Suspended

Post#6 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 am

Annaise16 wrote:Is the dps meter add-on available? It can show you how of your dps comes from each ability including weapon proc's for any playing period. You just reset it t the start of the period and then check it at the end. I still have the add-on running on all my toons, but I downloaded it from curse back in 2012.

If the ROR doesn't have it, I might be able to upload the add-on to this website.
Afaik all dps meters are non-functional, but Enemy has a combat log showing a lot of data including total damage done relative to other skills etc.

Dps in itself doesn't really matter when comparing skills etc. as burst>dps in most cases, and even if a skill is shown to do 500 dps it might be a worse skill than something with 150 dps due to cooldowns and other conditons.
Rip Phalanx

Annaise16

Post#7 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:23 am

lefze wrote:
Annaise16 wrote:Is the dps meter add-on available? It can show you how of your dps comes from each ability including weapon proc's for any playing period. You just reset it t the start of the period and then check it at the end. I still have the add-on running on all my toons, but I downloaded it from curse back in 2012.

Afaik all dps meters are non-functional, but Enemy has a combat log showing a lot of data including total damage done relative to other skills etc.

Dps in itself doesn't really matter when comparing skills etc. as burst>dps in most cases, and even if a skill is shown to do 500 dps it might be a worse skill than something with 150 dps due to cooldowns and other conditons.

I just tested my copy of the Dpsmeter add-on and it's working fine. The damage recorded by the add-on for each ability was exactly the same as that shown in the combat log.

With regard to proc damage, I just did a very brief test with my choppa to show how the add-on can be used to find out how much damage you are getting from weapon proc's. Note that the test was done to illustrate what the add-on shows, it is not meant to be a definitive test of proc damage.

For the test, my choppa killed 2 of the level 36 mobs in IC. The choppa was using a level 36 epic quest weapon that has the Agony IX proc. The total damage done by all attacks was 8347. This is shown in the following screenshot of the Dpsmeter ui:

The damage done by the Agony IX proc is shown in the next ss.

If you can download the the add-on from somewhere, you can use it to calculate the percentage of the total damage that different abilities contribute. Other add-ons might do the same.

szejoza

Post#8 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:12 am

Could you share the addon tho? Mine version wasn't working at all when I tried to do some research
Spoiler:

Ads
Annaise16

Post#9 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:33 am

szejoza wrote:Could you share the addon tho? Mine version wasn't working at all when I tried to do some research

I don't know. I could it put it on a google drive and provide a link so people could copy it. But it might not work when they try it.

My copy of the game client is the client I was using when the game closed in December 2013. I downloaded DPSmeter from curse.com in early 2013. It was a zip file that I extracted and saved to the EA folder.

I just copied the add-on to a Google drive and created a link. You should be able to download and, hopefully, extract it. The link is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6I3qU ... sp=sharing

Let me know if it works.

szejoza

Post#10 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks, will check it when I'm back from work!
Spoiler: