Recent Topics

Ads

Balance forum quality?

Let's talk about... everything else
shaggyboomboom

Re: Balance forum quality?

Post#21 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:59 pm

I think the issue is people thinking they know everything about every single class.

Ads
Penril

Post#22 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:12 pm

The major issue I see is having no respect for other's proposals. People don't care if the issue might we worth discussing; if they see something that looks stupid to them, they immediately complain and point out that "it shouldn't have been moved to Discussions in the first place!". They don't even try to debunk the OP; instead, they ask me in Discord or via PMs what was I thinking/why did I move it.

Jaycub

Post#23 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 pm

The way I see it is the proposals are just a way to the devs to take an idea seriously, which it can be rejected from there. And even if something gets implemented if it's horrible people will make their voices heard on the forums and I'm sure it will be tinkered with or removed.

Server is alpha, let them and the community experiment with ideas a bit. And penril is all we have as far as a mediator or gatekeeper for our ideas to be taken seriously. Moderating forums is not exactly fun work, so try not to make his job any worse than it has to be.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

Manatikik

Post#24 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Like has been said the point of the moderation isn't to moderate the ideas themselves but to make sure the Balance forums stay focused and serious.

The reason why it all seems like buff is simple: you have to have a 40/40 of that class, who the hell is going to suggest nerfing their own class?

Also another inherent flaw with discussing balance on forums is that its not an organic conversation; you make a post and quote. People have to quote certain sections and its creates the appearance of people attacking each other's ideas in a lot of the cases. I think an interesting idea would be to have proposals pop up, initial discussions, and then have a specific date/time for a "debate" on discord (chat) about the issue. This way you have an organic discussion about the change and create a cohesive and complete discussion that is less likely to end in (metaphoric) name-calling. Of course there are plenty of issues with my idea too (the least of which is our global timezones on RoR).
<Montague><Capulet>

Bacta
Former Staff

Post#25 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:20 am

A balance thread about balance forums how ironic.

If people want quality Posts and responses, then answer each other civilly without attacking one another or trolling. Have proof and evidence to claims. I personally have always been open to positive criticism and i personally endorse it.
Bacta AM|Disneys Kotbs| Wiki WP <Foreplay>
Cerebus DoK | Jasselin Chosen <Pillowtalk>

Arteker616

Post#26 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:34 am

first and foremost .
rise the lvl of needs to post in balance .
for proposals : having a character of a minimum of 55 RR,
for debunk : having a mirror of the class of a minimum of of 55 RR.

Alot of people play forum warrior without giving the name and RR of the class balance .Force em to actualy show therselves .

and finnaly need 1 dude who moderate the moderator just in case .
in my ideal world:
1: close the balance forums to general population.
2: work Balance collecting feedback from high end RR character online in the server .
3: work on basic of player reputation, alot of people lurking the balance forums are totaly bad players or just can play in 6 man, try to find people wich know the class and who knows how to play ir organized or pug mode.

footpatrol2

Post#27 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:49 am

There are problems with taking information from high renown rank player's. The issue is they are specialized. If they don't play any other character's then their perspective is limited to the class they play.

I've met a lot of high renown rank player's on AoR and RoR that are good at their class but don't know a lot on game mechanic's outside of their class of focus. High renown rank does not equal a good source of information. Especially coming from AoR when you could afk at a mail box for zone flips. Player's think renown rank actually mean's something. It doesn't. All it mean's is you played a specific class for awhile. You could be terrible at that class and still have high renown rank.

Haojin

Post#28 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:35 am

i insist marauders needs pounce and super high ninja kick. thats my 2cents.

thanks for reading.
Guildmaster of Phalanx

K8P - Karak Norn

Ads
Scrilian

Post#29 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 am

Torquemadra wrote:In among the mountains of poop a diamond can sometimes be found in the form of an idea that may not even be used in the way its formed or even for the class intended.

A lot of the suggestions are eyeball roll worthy because people are by their nature linear and tunnel visioned and even if they want to take an overview very often are unable to do so, but you know, thats what the discussion is for.

In terms of a check thats what I and the rest of the leadership team is for, we arent just buffing things, nerfs will be occurring but client control will allow for much better tweaking.
My only concern is that it takes time to poop out a diamond.
As you have pointed out we are people and as such don't have control over our "Eureka moments", so by the time someone has figured out a solution to the problem discussed in the balance section - two weeks have already passed and the proposal is locked.
Вальтер Рыжий RU => Gaziraga BW, Valefar WL, Lovejoy
Retired
ex-Greenfire/Invasion RvR leader
Wonderful RvR music videos ;)

Haojin

Post#30 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:59 am

tbh, we should check every ability/morale/tactic if they are working as intented or not. you may include some calculations like strikethrough/avoidence or stacking abilities/tactics/morales ect.

for me; it's pointless to discuss balance unless we're %100 sure core abilities working properly. this is my first problem. bugtracker > balance forums atm.

the second: reality.
what's gonna happen after we become top level nerd by discussing stuff ? really, what's gonna happen ? the dev team gonna do whatever they desire anyways. it's a big waste of time, i learned it hardway, so i don't bother to read/discuss on balance forums anymore.

just check the old threads to see how many of them implemented if you want to feel like don quijote :p

and also it's important for us to see this thread updated. many people still don't know about some ninja nerfs on some classes.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8768
Guildmaster of Phalanx

K8P - Karak Norn