Recent Topics

Ads

Gear disparity: Anything to be done?

Let's talk about... everything else
Darosh
Banned

Re: Gear disparity: Anything to be done?

Post#21 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Collateral wrote:The problem with running a 2h tank in a premade full of mdps is that you lose HTL. Yes you can max out your DD with rr, but if you're bellow 40, I doubt you have enough rr to come even close to min-maxing your char rr wise. And with that problem, comes the problem that order has a crap ton of rdps. Any decent rdps will focus the 2h tank, there are no second thoughts, and especially if he's squishy/lowbie. You kill the tank in seconds, mdps lose guard/HTL, and gg.

I recommend you look at the BO build thread. There is literally no reason for you not to go snb in a premade. And trust me, if you build right, you won't lose almost any damage.
Note, OP, HtL is one of the strongest abilities in the game, for obvious reasons. Avoidance is king, as it comes to defensive stats, they do not only mitigate damage, but completly negate it - and not just damage, but statuseffects and CC (e.g.: armordebuff, resisdebuff, HD, snare, punts, [r]kds, ...).
Keep in mind, sub40's have garbage resistance by default, even more so without a Chosen tagging along - a BW can still crit 2-3k on sub40's, regardless of their class; just half of the rotation will kill you about three times if you are sub40.
Don't neglect your lack of wounds either - you really want to live through a BW burst at all costs, especially if you are 2h and already handicapped as it comes to guard(damage).
Last edited by Darosh on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
tazdingo

Post#22 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:19 pm

a loose, sub 40, questionably specced destro melee half-group vs an ordo premade

sweet jesus

Dreadspectre

Post#23 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, I apologize if the snark comment offended, it wasn't really a serious one.

I just dislike being told to play X way, Gear Y or fail. I think it highlights a failure in this game that to this day still hasn't been addressed sadly. Hardly a problem unique to Warhammer though haha.

I accept my subpar fate, look for me in T4, farm me as my masochistic punishment haha.
Mrskullhead - DPS Zealot
Axeocalypse - 2H BO
Stayawhile - Magus
Pleasehammer Donthurtem - 2H WP
Fathermcgruder Arsekicker - RP
Poundtown - 2H IB

tazdingo

Post#24 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 pm

playing destro melee is playing on sadist mode don't beat yourself up about it

Darosh
Banned

Post#25 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Dreadspectre wrote:Thanks for the tips guys, I apologize if the snark comment offended, it wasn't really a serious one.

I just dislike being told to play X way, Gear Y or fail. I think it highlights a failure in this game that to this day still hasn't been addressed sadly. Hardly a problem unique to Warhammer though haha.

I accept my subpar fate, look for me in T4, farm me as my masochistic punishment haha.
One more thing I forgot to point out:
Initiative levels (+ initiative debuffs) sub40 are brutal, you average out at 40-60% crit (your ctbc and your enemies crit).
So, really, don't expect anything to change performance wise before you hit lvl40 and entry level gear - pick up the tome jewels asap.

As a sidenote:
I really appreciate your efforts to group with your friends! You'll see, theorycrafting specs and composing your group will be alot of fun - especially witnessing an increase in potency as your coordination sharpens up over time will be aweasome.
Stick to these efforts, never go back to pugging it out again. :lol:

Manatikik

Post#26 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Dreadspectre wrote:Jesus the elitist snark is strong this morning.

Sorry to burden you guys lol. I guess I'll enjoy wearing the only set I can get ahold of for the next 3+ weeks that doesn't give bonuses to my playstyle and maybe grind out Merc sometime this year ;)

NA population and stacked SC's ftw for RR and Emblem farming. Wooooooo

My only hope is RVR I think :?

Also with one good afternoon of PUG SC's you can get buy full Merc Gear. Costs 82 Conq Emblems total. You get 6 at least for a 500 point win (I've seen up to 11). Plus the Officer's you already need. Ruin + Merc makes any complaint about Gear just means you're not willing to put in ~8-10 hours into this game in a week to be fine geared for T4.
<Montague><Capulet>

Sulorie

Post#27 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Dreadspectre wrote:Jesus the elitist snark is strong this morning.

Sorry to burden you guys lol. I guess I'll enjoy wearing the only set I can get ahold of for the next 3+ weeks that doesn't give bonuses to my playstyle and maybe grind out Merc sometime this year ;)

NA population and stacked SC's ftw for RR and Emblem farming. Wooooooo

My only hope is RVR I think :?
How about you use Devastator, especially when being lowlvl. You get a nice defensive proc, what helps when using 2h. When you gear only for dps, you will fail.
Dying is no option.

th3gatekeeper

Post#28 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Dreadspectre wrote:Thanks for the tips guys, I apologize if the snark comment offended, it wasn't really a serious one.

You nailed it my friend. This is very true. This is how the game is made. Its entirely focused around being in "meta" groups with "meta" specs and having a full party.

This game was designed 10+ years ago (actually more but whatever) and my only hope is the DEVs realize what people wanted back then =/= what gamers want today.

back when AOR was made, 40 man raids for 6 hours in Molten Core was seen as the "norm". So was having your friends grind your account so it was farming 24/7 to get the rank of high warlord (both these are wow references).

So to, was AOR created. With this "always hardcore" "always grouped" mentality.

Its really an archaic design that today people dont care for. They dont want to spend half their play session building a group to be competitive - all with mandatory "meta" specs.

Popular games (like overwatch) let you get in, que up, and play a game in just a few minutes and its centered around having FUN.

Now obvious these are two very different games. Here we have an MMORPG. However my point in all this is, there is a reason the genre is failing and people are getting fed up with how the focus is always on gear and "meta" stuff RATHER than just a focus on "fun".

I am not saying make this game EZ carebear mode, but I definitely thing some of these things should be considered and looked at. The fact that you cant really play a MDPS class without guard + heals is a very limiting experience and I know MANY MDPS or even just MElee players in general who have quit because of this. SOMETIMES people just want to hop on, que up, and play and have fun RATHER THAN being forced to always "try hard".

Im not saying remove "try hard" since that is the pinnacle, but merely that having some of these "meta or die" mechanics probably isnt the best thing in the world and probably isnt helping low pop times where a guy logs in, doesnt get a que for 20 minutes then gets 1 against a premade, loses 500-0, gets nothing, and realizes he could have just veg'd out watching a movie or TV instead and had more enjoyment so he logs off..

Thats the world we play in today. Its a harsh reality to some but the world has changed from 2002 when this game was first being developed. What people want out of games, the free time gamers have for games, etc have ALL changed... The gaming industry HAS evolved yet some seem hell bent on holding onto some archaic design mentalities around gaming.
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#29 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Dude, we're not out here trying to make money. We don't really care what the mass market demands from games. I'm pretty sure you've been told this a couple times.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Jaycub

Post#30 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:07 pm

It's a tab target combat MMO, it's got some serious paper rock scissors elements mixed in with some low level mechanics.

If you are looking for something like CSGO where even 1v5 you have a shot if you are good enough you won't find it here, in this game no matter how good you are, even if you are a god at say chosen, you will never in million years kill a healer 1v1 if they are brained. You have to have the right build, the right class, and the right group (the other 5 players), and take the fights you can win and avoid the ones you can't. That's where the skill in this game is.

It's a bit like a moba in the sense it's heavily based around proper group play and execution, rather than individual skill. Find out what the meta comps are, see what you can salvage from that based on your guild/friends in terms of building at least a 6 man. Learn the basic mechanics of the classes, rotations, conditionals, builds etc... Then start playing and getting an idea of what you can and can't fight, learn how to position properly, learn the scenario maps and how to move and use the environment, find what works best for you in RvR (skirmishing, keep defenses, ganking etc...).

The best 6 mans on this server and in any game really have 1 thing in common, they have a fixed or nearly fixed roster of players who play together all the time. Even just having this with a bad comp and **** gear can make a world of a difference. Having to sub out even just 2 slots daily with new people is a disaster in comparison.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>