Recent Topics

Ads

Population

Let's talk about... everything else
Collateral

Re: Population

Post#151 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 am

Yes but the point is keeping that population playing, not just release new gear and after everyone farms it, or realize that it would take months to farm it, they leave the game again.

Ads
dansari

Post#152 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:42 pm

"Splitting the population" meaning giving T4 players a viable reason to play T3? Destro has been running rampant in T3 lately (EU time) and I rarely see many order debolstered groups looking to face them
<Salt Factory>

Stickzy
Game Artist

Post#153 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:02 pm

dansari wrote:"Splitting the population" meaning giving T4 players a viable reason to play T3? Destro has been running rampant in T3 lately (EU time) and I rarely see many order debolstered groups looking to face them
Probably because they need overlord. I myself tought about farming that instead of conq. Conq is out reach when you only got like 2 hours few days a week to play.

Back on topic about population.

Summer time? Stop it... This game lost like 40% of the players(looking at the server info on who is online)
Last edited by Stickzy on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ugle

Post#154 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:05 pm

Otoh it is now more than viable to level new toons in t3 rvr. No problem getting bis gear for t3 with all the lvl 40 ppl fighting there. Good call IMO ;)
inactive

dansari

Post#155 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Stickzy wrote:
dansari wrote:"Splitting the population" meaning giving T4 players a viable reason to play T3? Destro has been running rampant in T3 lately (EU time) and I rarely see many order debolstered groups looking to face them
Probably because they need overlord. I myself tought about farming that instead of conq. Conq is out reach when you only got like 2 hours few days a week to play.
Absolutely! That's my point and reaction to when people complain about the decision to release Overlord/Imperator as if it was a detriment to the T4 population.
<Salt Factory>

Haojin

Post#156 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 pm

All i can say about losing population is: boredom.

-Lack of endgame is biggest cancer of this game and RoR suffering from it.
Guildmaster of Phalanx

K8P - Karak Norn

Collateral

Post#157 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Haojin wrote:All i can say about losing population is: boredom.

Well I would agree, but let's not forget that half of the game, if not more, is not yet present. I really believe once every single dungeon in the game, every PvE instance, every PQ is fixed, the game will see a massive increase in population. Once the devs are able to get client control which, among other things, gives them the ability to change maps themselves (from what I heard), people will come back, and new ones will try the game as well, if the devs are able to change the maps for the better or even create some new ones one day. I think most of the people playing on this server right now really underestimate the power of PvE in an MMO.

We like to say that WAR is a mostly PvP game, but it really had a great amount of PvE, which was maybe not amazingly polished but it worked. And if the devs can improve it even more, you have a winning formula.

freshour
Banned

Post#158 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:11 am

I'm not saying this is a direct correlation. But I'd be curious what population trends show in relation to reductions. Now that sounds vague but for instance go back to think about reductions made in gold gain, xp gain, RR gain, gear drops. I'd be very interested in seeing if any actually caused increases?

The most recent thing I can think of is XP gain. Since that has been nuked, new T1 system was sort of holding it over, but I've heard so many people complain about how long it takes to level up a new character now that they can't ALL just be inpatient a holes. They may have been spoiled before with faster gains, and this may be met with logistics in design and how changes to preserve an economy might not be "important" - vs changes that will be better in a "theoretical" full economy that the game is being built for.

Just food for thought. People kinda like fun.

Ads
Mystry
Suspended

Post#159 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 am

Stickzy wrote:

Back on topic about population.

Summer time? Stop it... This game lost like 40% of the players(looking at the server info on who is online)
Also keep in mind that many sets are undesirable for some players. I personally never do any sort of open rvr since I am completely uninterested in the rewards for it. My scenario gear is vastly superior in every single way.

Marsares

Post#160 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 am

Collateral wrote:
Haojin wrote:All i can say about losing population is: boredom.

Well I would agree, but let's not forget that half of the game, if not more, is not yet present. I really believe once every single dungeon in the game, every PvE instance, every PQ is fixed, the game will see a massive increase in population. Once the devs are able to get client control which, among other things, gives them the ability to change maps themselves (from what I heard), people will come back, and new ones will try the game as well, if the devs are able to change the maps for the better or even create some new ones one day. I think most of the people playing on this server right now really underestimate the power of PvE in an MMO.

We like to say that WAR is a mostly PvP game, but it really had a great amount of PvE, which was maybe not amazingly polished but it worked. And if the devs can improve it even more, you have a winning formula.
I wish I could share your positivity.

I doubt fixing PVE will get many people back. PVE was always an afterthought in WAR and even compared to competing MMOs at the time it was rather poor PVE. Add to it that most people play WAR for PvP, not for PVE, and I can't see how many people would come back to a MMO with sub-standard PVE that is more than 10 years old.

Same with end-game... Let's not look through rose-tinted glasses here. Forts and city-sieges were the pits... absolutely atrocious. The campaign leading up to the end-game was fun - and that's disabled here and we're stuck in a single zone - but once we hit a fort, the fun literally ended. Instanced end-game is just a terrible mechanic... people couldn't get in in the same groups, you had lots of elitist behaviour were PUGs were told to GTFO of an instance so "elite" players could get in, people proactively avoided fights and searched for empty instances, once you got in it was a lag-fest with frequent crashes and at the end... more RNG bags.

New gear won't save the game either. Most people are bored silly with having one gear-set after another thrown at them, especially when it's obvious that it's only done to keep them going as there's not much else going on development wise on the short-term.

The only thing that could save the downward spiral of dropping population is if they make RvR fun again. Why do people play WAR? The majority would say for massive-scale RvR. And at the moment most would agree I believe that it's not much fun anymore. It was, but it got stale. Class balance is still a major issue. Keeps are badly designed, and so are most zones. RvR mechanics are poor, reward mechanics even more so with all the layers of RNG. And the campaign is in essence disabled and lacks every meaning.

Can they fix that? I firmly believe they can, but they need the patcher for it and it's questionable if they have the resources to do it fast enough as these are fundamental changes that no doubt require a lot of work.

Unless they make RvR fun again, new releases of gear/pve/end-game may see a short influx of returning gamers, but people won't stick around when they realise that RvR still suffers the same old issues.
Karak-Norn /// Asildur - RR100 WL /// Marsares - RR95 AM /// Nirnaeth - RR64 SW