Re: Decrease in Population?

Post#11 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:04 am

I see ty for all the replies.

Ads
blaqwar

Post#12 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:52 am

Aquilon wrote:
wargrimnir wrote:I blame the GM team. Clearly we are responsible for culling the weak and salty.
Failed to find a single GM in 4 days, recently. Bad luck.
cryao wrote:Seems RoR has taken a big hit since the holidays the numbers around November early December were 1200-1400 (with queue) during peak and died down to around 600-800 now it seems peak is 600-700 and dies down to around 150-200 players how come? Have most people done everything currently in game and just got bored or?
Damage is composite:

1). WAR's extremly long learning curve.
To become half-decent a person has to play all archtypes pretty extensively. Something like 1-1.5 year with brakes.
And it looks like we have substantial influx of new players on Order side (destro doesn't exist and I don't care), which is good...and bad, because overall skill is low and old players don't feel that much interested - new players loose backs to hide, feed and follow around and might drop it.

In terms of overall skill level, WAR was fun only one month - in January 2015.

2). Current zergy-antizerg RvR-system.
Recent 14 hours long failed Order struggle to take KV is vivid example. Another zone capture, I was participating from start to finish, lasted for 5 hours. Is this an average number? Please, enlighten me. I don't feel like gathering this statistic myself, while beeing involved in such a waste of life, sorry.

3). Surprisingly: more ballance - less fun.
Actually, it happens with every project, which steps aside from initial concept and follows the road of "ballance", because idea (in a form, which is imagend most commonly) of "fairness" does not exist in this world.
So, fun for everyone = fun for noone. Vets loose their toys and interest, rookies have no idea what is effective and how to become confident player.

There is, probably, more, but that's all I wanted to tell.

Cheers!
I hope you don't mind if I only address your second and third point, as the first one is something I seem to be quite sensitive about so I'll refrain from opening that can of worms.

2. People crave epic battles where they end up prevailing or epic underdog fights where through impossible odds the outnumbered side wins the day. It's one of the major pulls of WAR as a game (that and the IP and the non-mirrored careers). It's also literally the story of every modern fantasy/battle movie, yet at the same time the world seems to be speeding up and we have less and less time to sit down and spend enjoying our favourite hobby. It's a contradiction that has no solution.

You cannot have ORvR where you can just jump in for 15 min, cap a zone and log off to do something else. It would cheapen the experience and people would be complaining about chain-locking zones, insta-locking and general unresponsiveness, cheapness and the feeling of irrelevance to the campaign at large. Slowing down the zerg is one of the ways of combating it and I believe the current RvR implementation is nearly perfect as far as timeframes go. Yes, you have long struggles over control that sometimes go over a day, epic EU primetime fights that go on late handing the batton over to the US prime-time, etc. Why are people disappointed when they log in a few hours (or a day) later and see that the zone still hasn't been capped? All the more reason to fight for it and finally snatch the prize.

It's not like you'd miss out on anything, the rewards are still awarded while you're offline (which is also one of the most amazing things about this project, kudos to the devs for the implementation). You can simply jump back in and continue fighting and earning rewards.

The current system has the potential to create epic storylines spanning over days, how is that not a good thing. Especially when you're not missing out on any rewards. This game is about epic fights, not locking zones. The goal is to have a good time and the result is zones being locked when one side prevails. Not the other way around.

For the players that want quick and cheap thrills this might not be the game for you. Huge time investment isn't necessary, patience, imagination and the ability to see the bigger picture is.

3. I'll just say this, when things aren't balanced you will have less options if you want to be successful (and aren't a sadistic maniac). Less options means less variety and also less fun. I really don't agree with your assesment. I think we should have the players who diehard played Magi and Engineer's on live chime in here to see which game iteration has been more enjoyable so far. Or the Shamans/Archmages.

CegeePegee
Former Staff

Post#13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:28 am

blaqwar wrote:The current system has the potential to create epic storylines spanning over days, how is that not a good thing. Especially when you're not missing out on any rewards. This game is about epic fights, not locking zones.
This ^ one million times. LOVING the new rvr system. 8hr keep seiges? I''ll take those purple numbers.

Thelen

Post#14 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:34 am

I've gotten 5 or 6 toons to rr40 with full annih gear and it just kinda slows down once you've maxxed out of progression (and get 50% less renown :(). I like the Dev teams decision to work on balance before releasing new sets, but I definitely burnt out.

I also havent been able to find a group with the same kinda playstyle that I do.

georgehabadasher

Post#15 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:45 am

Most of the people I've played with in RoR originally joined RoR because they wanted to play the game they already knew and loved--it was a nostalgia trip. As the development team has implemented increasingly drastic changes, they've been turned off and stopped logging in. Of course, I'm only talking about the small group of people I play with; and the plural of anecdote isn't data, but it's hard to collect data on negative opinions given the restrictive nature of discourse on this board.

Toldavf

Post#16 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:01 am

I would say it is just stagnation. Once a new patch is added and we get a new big shiny toy to play with like LOTD or dungeons people will return.
Khorlar, Thorvold, Sjohgar, Anareth, Toldavf, Hartwin, Gotrin and others -_-

Pumatouch

Post#17 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 am

blaqwar wrote: All that good stuff
Man you speak my mind :) So many epic battles taking place these days. We have something truly special here. RoR Cool Club :)
Edit: Where do I get a T-Shirt?
Arthur - Slarti - Halgal - Binwin
Each and every Dawi under my command owes me one hundred scalps.
And I want my scalps.

blaqwar

Post#18 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:13 am

HOW did I know you'd like that, I know you too well Puma. ;)

Ads
jorgemarco

Post#19 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:49 am

Its logical population decreases. People are tired cause they cant get their sets. My guild is a little frustrated cause getting merc is a hell. Apart of that veterana abuse un RvR and dont want other ppl can get merc. As i always say bad way

Sulorie

Post#20 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:02 am

jorgemarco wrote:Its logical population decreases. People are tired cause they cant get their sets. My guild is a little frustrated cause getting merc is a hell. Apart of that veterana abuse un RvR and dont want other ppl can get merc. As i always say bad way
Uhm, to get merc you just have to play and win sc.
Dying is no option.