Let's talk about... everything else
peterthepan3

Re: [Magus] Why so weak?

Post#21 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:48 pm

Shadowgurke wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:
Medium armor? lol
pretty close to it, yes.
you're right, but my point was that this misconception that no class should rival the sorcerer ought to be done away with, and it would be NICE to see classes that have generally performed worse and been weaker take the 'throne' for once. look at how pisspoor marauder used to be compared to how it is now.
I agree, but sorc is so strong because that is literally all the class offers. High burst ranged dps. If you rival that with the Magus then the magus is stronger.
noone is disputing that. magus should, however, be able to fill in a DPS slot to the same degree that a squig or a sorc can - that's all we are asking for.
And I never said that I disagree with that
in regards to CC? aside from stagger and rift, there is nothing unique about our CC; CC that other classes have already.
ASIDE from by far the best non morale stagger on a super short cooldown that is also ranged, an AoE knockdown that despite being situational is still an AoE knockdown and the pull that completely changes the dynamics of oRvR? no, apart from that they offer nothing unique. It does not mean that also having an aoe root and a spammable knockback on top of everything I mentioned isn't worthwhile. The class has more CC than anything else.
I know this sounds like hyperbole but you have to understand that you can't just give this class Sorc like DPS
not asking for sorc DPS, just effectiveness that would warrant taking it in a 6man environment/as one of 2 DPS.

the class doesn't have medium armor. it has a buff that gives it armor, which can also be removed.

spammable knockback? no disrespect but have you played a magus? it's not spammable (10 sec cd)

i would also argue that the zealot stagger is better in a competitive environment as you're not wasting so many immunities.

the aoe kd is good, yes, but why should we have to effectively lose our mechanic to do it when a marauder can fill in for that (assuming we're talking orvr? I'm not really focused on orvr as the magus will always be a riftbot in that department)

again - not asking for sorc-like dps. has not been said anywhere. this has gone off on a tangent somewhat, so we should keep this debate for balance forums.

@Telen
I like the suggestion. always thought some sort of channel that increases in dmg x no. of dots or something similar would be cool.

Ads
Telen
Suspended

Post#22 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:33 am

Take rift and you lock yourself out of any sort of burst. Stagger is 65ft (zealots is 100) so you have to be in with the melee. Kite or use kd and you lose your dmg so you need armor to have any dmg at all.

ToXoS

Post#23 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:36 am

Rift spec is cool, but it should not be the only "viable" build as a RDPS.

perche

Post#24 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:13 am

may be a new pet can help a bit .

Perche choppa rr100 RIp
Dizparate squid rr100 Rip

Bayoneta vonsodomiten Dok
Froilan Borbon engi nerfed in last 2 patch.

Renork

Post#25 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:29 am

Azarael wrote:
Mizhas wrote:I think that there are many ways magus can be buffed. Buffing their DPS should not be the priority since if you want more DPS, you hould be playing a sorc. Ofc they could have some tweaks in some tactics as a QoL change which would make DPSing easier.
Horrendous misconception. You can give them more DPS as long as you give them appropriate drawbacks. People need to break out of this "only BW/Sorc are allowed to be REAL DPS" mentality - they're all RDPS classes.
Just because they are all RDPS classes doesn't mean they should perform equally. I normally don't call you out on things, but just because you believe you're right doesn't make you right. I wasn't fortunate enough to play an alpha/beta magus, but their design was completely rushed towards the end and many spells were taken away.

Hybrids exist for a reason, a warrior priest should not be capable of doing damage equivalent to a true mdps, should they do viable damage? sure. They are hybrids for a reason. Should they be able to heal better than a true healer? Again, hybrids. Just because your tree gives you the option to do it, doesn't mean you should surpass a non hybrid.

Why did an 8-man bring a theurgist to the team? interrupts.
What about a cabalist? body debuff synergy with a sorc, disease utility, nearsight/interrupt, pet
sorc? aoe mezz, str/c debuff, ae d/q debuff, ae root, lifetap synergy with cabbie.

I can't imagine how horrific DAOC would have been if all of the three casters listed above were capable of doing everything. If you're going to make magi a "capable" rdps with "drawbacks", then what's the point of the sorcerer class? Burst/sustained/utility/heals/CC is what defines each class, and Magi were "supposed" to be a hybrid utility caster (based on the alpha/beta stage information).

Also, we don't have TB here, so once other sets are introduced magi ST burst will be pretty high. At the end of the day you're in charge of the project, so I'm just giving you my opinion on things. I disagree with the route you want to take when it comes to balance.

thefarthestland

Post#26 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:34 am

magus/eng problem is that Bw/Sorc has burst damage and aoe better,
then use only for rift/electromagnet

Nerf BW/Sorc all other classes are going to be more viable

Daknallbomb
Game Artist

Post#27 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:06 am

I think the Single target dmg from magus is good enugh. Just Spam rend Winds Or something make alot of dmg. But there Are Things that suxx on magus. First of all immobillity, here muss be something changed. Second dots suxx. Cause nö dmg and clean. Make the dot duration on 9 sec at same dmg would be nice. Third magus Are nit the burst class give him better Utility. , Like better cc Or heal debuff Or silence. Or PET dmg aura gives allys 10% Or something. Think IT gives many many Things we can change on magus. But dont push dmg just make tham more effektiv. .

I try to Play magus as dmg class but i dont Use boc ATM. I Play a rend Winds Spam build cause of the better mobillity. And just rend Winds and one dot together with Mist can Do about 1700 dmg per second on a target easy. Its Not that burst but its still Not Bad.
Tinkabell 40/41 Magus Whaagit 40/41 SH Whaagot 40/54 BO Daknallfrosch 40/72shammy

kok

Post#28 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:33 am

Dmgwise Eng/Magus is fine.
However,
1)Magus dmg should be made it defendable by dodge
2)A good healing skill like what Eng has
3)Pandemonium should be instant.
4)Perils of the Warp should be 1sec cast. 2sec for 3sec disarm is stupid. It don't even do much dmg like Sorcerer 1sec disarm
Northside-KOTBS ,Southside-SW Westsides-WP Eastside-WH,Rightside-WL
Good Soldier win fight, Good Calvary win field, Good Cannon win Battle, Good logistic win Wars
--Book of Five Rings

Ads
Daknallbomb
Game Artist

Post#29 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:37 am

Hey who screened me. Or issit mine? But that was a Low lev sc. Was rly easy.
Tinkabell 40/41 Magus Whaagit 40/41 SH Whaagot 40/54 BO Daknallfrosch 40/72shammy

kok

Post#30 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:50 am

Daknallbomb wrote:Hey who screened me. Or issit mine? But that was a Low lev sc. Was rly easy.
I took the SS because it consist of tons of rdps(and some heals) nuking each other with 2 tanks on both side doing nothing beside being a target board (for heal and dmg) and 1 order guarded mdps who die like 14 times and a melee DOK :D
A good SS if you are comparing rpds in general
Northside-KOTBS ,Southside-SW Westsides-WP Eastside-WH,Rightside-WL
Good Soldier win fight, Good Calvary win field, Good Cannon win Battle, Good logistic win Wars
--Book of Five Rings