Ads

why do you think players play ror?

Let's talk about... everything else
Tsumina

why do you think players play ror?

Post#1 » Tue May 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Warning: long-ish post
Spoiler:
i'm not directing this to any one person, but forum members in general. for me it's a love of the lore, gameplay, and community. I love the Warhammer world, and I love meeting people who love the Warhammer world. For this reason, I've left the game with friends from live for 'greener pastures' on multiple occasions but have always known throughout that I would eventually return to war. I suspect it'll be the same with this game; no matter what changes the devs will make, the lore and idea of the game will be the same, so i'll always come back, knowing what will be done will be done with the best intentions.

That being said, I for one would like to say that I like to fight, and my way of fighting is healing. I've never really cared about rewards, but it was a nice bonus. winning to me meant keeping friendly players alive. I'm sure others share the same sentiment; why else do rvr(pre t4) after you're capped and geared out besides helping your realm win?
As of now I'd imagine seeing purple/blue/yellow numbers and drops would be incentive enough for players to fight, as even then you wouldn't be fighting just for the sake of fighting, which to me sounds like it would get dull fast without an objective. However since the release of t4 I haven't been doing much of orvr. I have no guess as to why lakes seem so quiet, as rewards seem adequate to me atm, but as for my reason for staying out, it's a simple 'there are no open warbands to heal, and skirmishing groups are both hard to get to without being ganked otw five or six times and they are seemingly uninterested in having an extra healer, never mind extra people, since warbands, unless things have changed, are detrimental to group loot. The later isn't really an issue if there are plenty of kills to go around, but I'd like to defer to the chicken and egg metaphor someone mentioned somewhere earlier, since so far I've seen mostly 'light fighting in praag' in the rvr chat, perhaps a large warband of one would encourage the formation of a large warband of the other, but what's the incentive for the first warband if it's assumed they would be taking an empty zone with no rewards? Ideally people could be notified that their keep was being taken through various chats and rush to defend, and things would be epic, but who knows how people will act (the tide of war is everchanging! [something like that..]), and obviously I know very little about the orvr system, having done mostly quests since the last few patches. I fully concede that I'm partially to blame for not starting a warband, but I'm like a selfish leech who instead of draining blood puts it back.. (I need a host! [preferably hosts since bos have heroes])

I've heard a few theories relating to the current(and past really) status of pvp, all which seem related. One is that people are just in it for the instant gratification, and that those people are the ones who easily get bored then move on to a different game. Another is that the death of realm pride came when roleplaying stopped and people stopped caring about lore, which in turn lead to the downfall of meaningful pvp. Personally I think the rr=lvl thing was a good move, since it would lead to people spending more time on a single toon, but perhaps was implemented to late, since really who is fully committed to one character anymore?

So! What do you think? Why do you play? Why do you think other people play? Sorry about the long post, just thought I should share my two cents since there seems to be a lot of dissent and anger going around, and I feel it will probably only get worse with the ongoing development of t4.
synopsis: I like to play to fulfill my role (as healer.. and tester I suppose), helping my team accomplish a single shared goal. I believe others feel this way as well, and no rvr system including the current one discourages this. I will accept any change the devs make (as tzeench demands) since war is war, and will continue to faithfully play, killing npcs or players (as Khaine wills) because just focusing on one gets old. Since ror will only continue developing, making room for more dissent, I wanted to confirm what motivates me to play, a love for the game, and ask what motivates everyone else.

Ads
Olszewski

Re: why do you think players play ror?

Post#2 » Tue May 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Because its the best pvp game with SC's in the worlds forever and ever. Gw sux. Just imagine ror with up to date graphics. Total re haul to todays standards. Mind blowing. pow!

boog

Post#3 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:07 pm

It is by far the best PvP game I have ever played. It got essentially everything right, in my opinion, of what an MMO should have. Classes actually have a roll to play and depending on how you build your character you can meet that role exactly or hybridize it. I'm also a huge fan of the Warhammer Fantasy lore. But, the main reason why I love WAR so much is that when my wife and I started dating I JUST got my CE WAR game in the mail and she saw it and was intrigued and it became her first MMO. We've made a lot of good friends and memories playing WAR and also made some frenemies lol. WAR and RoR so far has had the best community of players I've been able to be a part of.

Only things I thought that would have made it better was a 3rd faction and more End game dungeons xP
CHSN Wafulz | KBOB Wafuls | IB Waffulz | BG Waffelz | BO Waaaghfulz | SM Waffels

YUKO

Post#4 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:40 pm

People tend to forget that Warhammer offers both lore, conceptual fictious books and miniature gameplay unlike any other game. So existed over fourty years now and... unfortunatly saw its shed of light before the complete turnover to Age of Sigmar.

Blend THAT pre-Age of Sigmar content with ultra-heavy PvP-orientated game concept and widespread fanbase and you will know your answer. Thats why people turn to ROR- because there is no other game that offers such dense gameplay and level as Warhammer.

TenTonHammer

Post#5 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Because it's the only game that ever did orcs right

Also because WFB >>>>>>W40k

bobthehero

Post#6 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Well the Fantasy orcs are slightly less obnoxious than the 40k orks, I guess, they're still the worst thing to have happened to Warhammer.

I was attracted to the game because its a Warhammer game first, but its also a pretty fun game, RvR is nice, too.
Bobthehero: Level 40 Greatsword of the Blazing Sun RR43

magter3001

Post#7 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:15 pm

To roleplay of course :D :lol:
Agrot 35/40 Aggychopp 32/40
Grelin of Magnus/Badlands ;)

grimli

Post#8 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:22 pm

i honestly ain't sure why i'm playing, i came on figuring this would be a fun game and have been pretty much waiting for the PvP side to either move towards something i want to do or wandering about sending help tickets about broken quests and public quests.

usually i join a clan on MMOs and just kill time stocking the guild stores with potions and such for new joiners to use, but i can't do that now.

Ads
cryao

Post#9 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:31 pm

Honestly to relive my days of putting hours and hours into a game that was my 1st subscription game back in 2008 after playing the **** out of GW1 being my only other MMO beside a few shooters here n there back then. I think WAR got most of everything right there are a lot of bugs and the game is dated and you can really tell the flaws now that todays games are so graphically intense. But I feel this game brings so many memories and fun times I had to play it again. I look to see what RoR team can really do once all the games fixable bugs are squashed and see what they can add to make the game have more "content". Who knows maybe oneday WAR will actually revive and be up to date with the gameplay we love(d).

iHope

Post#10 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:32 pm

For example today i checked the T3 RvR area and it was kinda empty few ppl justrunning about and pvping. So i said okay let's make something happen, and created a warband and people slowly started joining, went around a bit and took some objectives. Eventualy enemies came with greater numbers and made us fall back and then we got camped for a bit and after we got some reinforcements we managed to fight on even grounds for hours, back and forth. We didn't really care much about objectives/keeps just pure pvp.

PS: That tavern is **** awesome chokehold to fight against greater numbers! :D