Recent Topics

Ads

Extracting Models/Textures???

Let's talk about... everything else
Dex7491

Extracting Models/Textures???

Post#1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to this community so if this is in the wrong place or seems wildly out of place, please don't bludgeon me with the banhammer. :p

Is it, or would it be possible to extract the meshes for arms and armour from this game, to potentially convert them into formats usable in other media? I understand that this could be abused in some manner via model changes which could affect PvP, but what I'm thinking and hoping of doing is using these models as a mod for another high profile game, not for release, but for myself personally.

Any help, advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Ads
szejoza

Re: Extracting Models/Textures???

Post#2 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:36 pm

Londo stated here http://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/ ... 8&start=30 they decided to remove info about it for some reasons but it is possible to extract .obj with some software available on interwebz. Still for the same reasons (which are unknown to me but I don't want go against devs) I'm not gonna tell you how to do that ;)
Spoiler:

Dex7491

Post#3 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:43 pm

I see. Thanks for the info - I imagine it's still technically possible, and I can understand why they removed the info. Similar tech is used in WoW to abuse PvP modes and that can be catastrophic for a game that centers on PvP. That said, I am not a coder or programmer, just a humble modder and I doubt what I'd like to do would be possible without an extraction program. Bummer :(

bichka

Post#4 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:07 am

szejoza wrote:Londo stated here http://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/ ... 8&start=30 they decided to remove info about it for some reasons but it is possible to extract .obj with some software available on interwebz. Still for the same reasons (which are unknown to me but I don't want go against devs) I'm not gonna tell you how to do that ;)
as i remember there some unpacker for WAR files, meshes stored in NIF format (gamebryo) but problems is - all names is non-human readable including texture names which is defined in this mesh files.
Before RoR i was about importing meshes to Skyrim, but it's not topic related.
If devs is manage easy way to repack game files there will be a lot of possibilities, from making hd-version (armor textures is about 512x512 and looks pretty ugly) to add something new.
Anyway you are able to look into meshes via NifTools, after unpacking.

Drops

Post#5 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:54 am

See my answer here.

And i have a working OBJ exporter (at least for GEOM files): 8-)
Spoiler:

Dex7491

Post#6 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:12 pm

bichka wrote:
szejoza wrote:Londo stated here http://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/ ... 8&start=30 they decided to remove info about it for some reasons but it is possible to extract .obj with some software available on interwebz. Still for the same reasons (which are unknown to me but I don't want go against devs) I'm not gonna tell you how to do that ;)
as i remember there some unpacker for WAR files, meshes stored in NIF format (gamebryo) but problems is - all names is non-human readable including texture names which is defined in this mesh files.
Before RoR i was about importing meshes to Skyrim, but it's not topic related.
If devs is manage easy way to repack game files there will be a lot of possibilities, from making hd-version (armor textures is about 512x512 and looks pretty ugly) to add something new.
Anyway you are able to look into meshes via NifTools, after unpacking.
I see! I'll look into NIFTools. If you can remember the unpacker I'd appreciate it. I'll see if some Google-fu turns anything up.
Drops wrote:See my answer here.

And i have a working OBJ exporter (at least for GEOM files): 8-)
Spoiler:
So I'm a little confused. If the files are stored as .NIF, what is the .OBJ exporter for? That said, this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. May I ask if there's an ETA on the release?

Drops

Post#7 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:09 am

Dex7491 wrote:So I'm a little confused. If the files are stored as .NIF, what is the .OBJ exporter for?
Game uses two different file formats to store models. NIFs contain weapons and scenery mostly, other things (armors, heads, siege weapons, creatures) are stored in Mythic's own format called GEOM. That's what OBJ exporter is for.
Dex7491 wrote:That said, this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. May I ask if there's an ETA on the release?
Possibly before keeps get fixed, likely before T4 is out and certainly before Half Life 3. ;)

Dex7491

Post#8 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:35 am

Drops wrote:
Dex7491 wrote:So I'm a little confused. If the files are stored as .NIF, what is the .OBJ exporter for?
Game uses two different file formats to store models. NIFs contain weapons and scenery mostly, other things (armors, heads, siege weapons, creatures) are stored in Mythic's own format called GEOM. That's what OBJ exporter is for.
Dex7491 wrote:That said, this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. May I ask if there's an ETA on the release?
Possibly before keeps get fixed, likely before T4 is out and certainly before Half Life 3. ;)
I'm holding you to that pre-HL3 commitment! :p Seriously though, I'll be watching for it. Thanks for the explanation too.

If higher res textures could be applied, oh my goodness. The possibilities astound.

Ads
bichka

Post#9 » Sun May 01, 2016 6:50 am

Dex7491 wrote:
If higher res textures could be applied, oh my goodness. The possibilities astound.
As i said before filenames inside archives is ciphered somehow, i guess it's some kind of protection against "hackers".
So there probably will be a problems to add something new or changing existing content without source code of game client.

Drops

Post#10 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:26 am

File paths are hashed, but the hashing function is already known, so it's not really much of an obstacle. In fact, Londo claims that he can put new stuff in the game already and I have no reason not to belive him.

Just to be clear, my program won't allow to modify the client data in any way. I don't want to be responsible for anyone messing up their game or getting banned for cheating. :roll:
Last edited by Drops on Tue May 03, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.