Recent Topics

Ads

Running and Jumping

Let's talk about... everything else
OneTonGun

Running and Jumping

Post#1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Preface: There is an XYZ game mechanic that some people do not comprehend. If you jump off a wall rather than run down the steps, you get to the ground faster. If you jump down a slope instead of running across every mogul and pixel you get down faster. Secondly, if you move across a server line it can make movement appear warpy.

When I kite I run, jump, run run run, jump and so forth. This is a common kiting technique that works for down slope or mogul infested land. Jumping also helps avoid the edges of Sticky Feetz. It does NOT help when going up hill. I was reported and then subsequently harassed in tells by some Nazgul idiots who think that any jumping is an exploit.

So is any form of Jumping now an exploit? Or can a person run, jump, run run run, jump, run run run etc?

Note: I believe the real reason they reported me cuz they got butthurt over and over. Bit of advice, don't rez a guy over and over unless you intend to heal him, you dumbass Shammy. Falsely reporting players may make you feel better, but you ain't gonna get better for it.

Ads
Gobtar

Re: Running and Jumping

Post#2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Jumping is also used by kiters to change facing while allowing the inertia to carry you in the direction you were already moving.

The problem with jumping is that it exaggerates the the server lag gap. Often players that "exploit" this, are ones that get melee trained onto, they will not have jumped and then do so, this causes them to warp out of melee. Players located in Au or abroad have a hard enough time with latency/ping/server communication, and jumping compounds these problems.

All it takes is one jump to warp out of melee and the jump fix didn't really stop this from happening. Please refrain from flaming if you don't want your threads to get locked, you don't need to call out guilds or players on here, or entice a Epeen match off. If you have grievances with being "reported" please take it up with a GM

OneTonGun

Post#3 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Gobtar wrote:Jumping is also used by kiters to change facing while allowing the inertia to carry you in the direction you were already moving.

The problem with jumping is that it exaggerates the the server lag gap. Often players that "exploit" this, are ones that get melee trained onto, they will not have jumped and then do so, this causes them to warp out of melee. Players located in Au or abroad have a hard enough time with latency/ping/server communication, and jumping compounds these problems.

All it takes is one jump to warp out of melee and the jump fix didn't really stop this from happening. Please refrain from flaming if you don't want your threads to get locked, you don't need to call out guilds or players on here, or entice a Epeen match off. If you have grievances with being "reported" please take it up with a GM
I did not say I was changing face. My toon is an AM, not a WE/WH/SH/SW. Please refrain from interjecting exploits and hence attempting to impute a game transgression on my character. The context and title are clearly Running and Jumping, not jumping and changing face. Please refrain from ignoring titles and words. If you read titles and words, you will likely comprehend statements.

Gobtar

Post#4 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:18 pm

Yep...done here, good luck!

StormX2
Game Master

Post#5 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:39 pm

kind of a standard tactic of the sorc, run away, jump, mid air face enemy , dot and repeat. I too am getting sick of people complaining that i'm exploiting by doing an extremely standard tactic.

Personally, ive never noticed a speed difference when jumping down a hill vs running it.

freshour
Banned

Post#6 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:56 pm

The fact that you are making this post seems like you are trying to get the approval of other people who do it. I play NA. Yes it has limited me from playing many melee classes as after the first few times of seeing casters and even some melee warp out of range of me, I decided range was the way to go, and maining WP lets me swap to Salv if it gets pretty frustrating.

If you specifically only jump for this reason then sure there is no problem with it. But the fact that it is a known issue to cause you to warp away from attackers, that is in fact exploiting and a very well known issue.

Many casters do this and cover it up with the illusion of it involving some skill. No matter what way you look at it, it does not. I'm sure there are a few bhoppers who do this for terrain purposes and some totally normal non exploiting players who do it. The entire act of jumping promotes rhythm. Rhythm allows repetition and muscle memory. Similar to foot tapping when ones plays an instrument. Most gamers use these tactics to repeat certain tactics in this case, kiting.

If a melee player is hitting you on flat ground, and you jump and he is no longer hitting you.... You didn't outplay him, you cheated a flaw in the game. Congrats, you are like every other "good caster" in the game. I know EU guys don't have as much of a problem with this apparent "L2P issue" but having been the victim of it and witnessing it everyday as I am in fact NA.... It gets a little annoying.

Did you bhop? Probably. Do you do it more than just on uneven terrain? Probably. Are you guilty until proven innocent? Or innocent until proven guilty? My guess in making the forum post you are probably guilty lol, but who cares. The devs attempted to fix this bug and many exploiters of the craft stood behind the masses saying "Bro we are super goodz though, it is allllll shkilll" and it was ultimately reverted to doing little to nothing.

So at the end of the day yeah you probably do deserve all the names you were called as you most likely did exploit a flaw in the game as was stated previously. But as far as the developers/rule setters are considered you didn't really do anything that breaks any rules. So while a total douche in my book, you are totally legal.

OneTonGun

Post#7 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:32 pm

freshour wrote:The fact that you are making this post seems like you are trying to get the approval of other people who do it. I play NA. Yes it has limited me from playing many melee classes as after the first few times of seeing casters and even some melee warp out of range of me, I decided range was the way to go, and maining WP lets me swap to Salv if it gets pretty frustrating.

If you specifically only jump for this reason then sure there is no problem with it. But the fact that it is a known issue to cause you to warp away from attackers, that is in fact exploiting and a very well known issue.

Many casters do this and cover it up with the illusion of it involving some skill. No matter what way you look at it, it does not. I'm sure there are a few bhoppers who do this for terrain purposes and some totally normal non exploiting players who do it. The entire act of jumping promotes rhythm. Rhythm allows repetition and muscle memory. Similar to foot tapping when ones plays an instrument. Most gamers use these tactics to repeat certain tactics in this case, kiting.

If a melee player is hitting you on flat ground, and you jump and he is no longer hitting you.... You didn't outplay him, you cheated a flaw in the game. Congrats, you are like every other "good caster" in the game. I know EU guys don't have as much of a problem with this apparent "L2P issue" but having been the victim of it and witnessing it everyday as I am in fact NA.... It gets a little annoying.

Did you bhop? Probably. Do you do it more than just on uneven terrain? Probably. Are you guilty until proven innocent? Or innocent until proven guilty? My guess in making the forum post you are probably guilty lol, but who cares. The devs attempted to fix this bug and many exploiters of the craft stood behind the masses saying "Bro we are super goodz though, it is allllll shkilll" and it was ultimately reverted to doing little to nothing.

So at the end of the day yeah you probably do deserve all the names you were called as you most likely did exploit a flaw in the game as was stated previously. But as far as the developers/rule setters are considered you didn't really do anything that breaks any rules. So while a total douche in my book, you are totally legal.
LOL. Impute, Impute, Impute. The title says "Running and Jumping". The context is "Running and Jumping". What about "Running and Jumping" is sooo hard to grasp? I don't bunnyhop because its not effective. You get slowed. I "Run and Jump" then "Run and Jump". Sometimes down hills. Sometimes from mogul to mogul while those getting kited decide to step on every single pixel rather than jump across some. Then they whine that they can't keep up and scream 'CHEAT, WE WILL REPORT YOU". Yep, heard that today.

Learn... to... play... before you accuse.

Do I really need to make a post called "Kiting 101"? Arg, maybe so.

StormX2
Game Master

Post#8 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:38 pm

omg someone likes to jump around instead of stand stationary omg exploiter shunn shunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Im from NA I dont see this problem. I primarily play a Tank and still dont see this problem. when lag hits I call it lag.. General rule of thumb for me is that I try to predict my enemies movement, and just attempt to attack them where I expect them to be.

This works 90% of the time, with the other 10% resulting in a bad Punt. just this last 6 months of T3 Im very certain that I have never had an issue with hitting other players, jumping walking or not.

Maybe this issue is more apparent for West Coast NA players than East Coast?

Also, people who Yell at your that they are reporting you, just report them back and ignore them.

Ads
GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#9 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:46 pm

The jumping to teleport away from melee is definitely a thing. I'm east coast NA and ranged consistently do it. It's not a huge problem as a tank because if you keep them perma-snared (because you're a good player and press good buttons) then they are, in my experience, not getting away from me. At the same time, I'm a tank and don't hit them as hard as a melee dps. It's a bigger issue on my marauder, where healers in particular (cuz they live longer) can bunnyhop and warp away really easily and it's pretty annoying.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

OneTonGun

Post#10 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:49 pm

StormX2 wrote:omg someone likes to jump around instead of stand stationary omg exploiter shunn shunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Im from NA I dont see this problem. I primarily play a Tank and still dont see this problem. when lag hits I call it lag.. General rule of thumb for me is that I try to predict my enemies movement, and just attempt to attack them where I expect them to be.

This works 90% of the time, with the other 10% resulting in a bad Punt. just this last 6 months of T3 Im very certain that I have never had an issue with hitting other players, jumping walking or not.

Maybe this issue is more apparent for West Coast NA players than East Coast?

Also, people who Yell at your that they are reporting you, just report them back and ignore them.
Good advice. Whats really funny is I don't think the Shammy in question understands the difference tween our classes. Sticky Feetz is an Ailment which the AM can cleanse (I did and hit flee). MoM is a Hex which the Shammy can NOT cleanse, thus they all slowly trudged along while I zoomed off. Then I hear them yelling at me LOL.

Seriously, people need read up on classes, test some things before assuming cheating. The notion that "Well if I can't do it, then someone else must be cheating" really has to end.