Recent Topics

Ads

The Wipe - Post thoughts/comments

Let's talk about... everything else
freshour
Banned

The Wipe - Post thoughts/comments

Post#1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:45 pm

So a lot of people are thinking about it and talking about it as well. It has been assumed if this server goes to beta from alpha that there will be a wipe as quite a few games do that as well. But what about going into T4? Personally I know quite a few long term players that survived the gold wipe granted it was only over a certain amount that got wiped (I think), but many have said if there was a full wipe they would most likely chalk this server up as "they had a lot of fun, but can't spend that much time doing it all over again" sort of mindset.

So rather than say "I've been around since Nam this is what should happen" - please keep this constructive and maybe a place for the devs to get a player opinion on the matter.

What does Dawm think? Why I am glad you asked.

- I think there should be a drop back in renown to the level of devastator gear probably. This would allow devs if they choose to track renown progress of all players and not just alts as the mindset of alts is either POWER LEVEL BRAH! or mehh no one else is on, so I'll play my DPS AM. If people want quests reset go for it, not many do them, but the ones that do make a pretty penny for their long grind of dialogue. Personally I don't think a gold wipe is a horrible idea, but maybe only a wipe of people with the highest amounts of gold? Generally in games there are a few people who did it the right way, and quite a few that did it the wrong way. Would it be fair? I'm not the judge of what is fair or not, but if 5 people quit b.c they can't control the market on a brand new economy but everyone else was fine, then I think that is a pretty good trade.

Questions to debate

1. Renown Wipe? Down to a certain level? Or completely?

2. Full wipe of all characters?

3. Professions wipe?

4. Gear wipe?

Keep in mind it could be a combination of all of these things but lets not be naive and think that there will be no wipe of any sort. At least this way they can get an idea of what the few people that browse these forums think.

FIRE AWAY!

Ads
saupreusse
Developer

Re: The Wipe - Post thoughts/comments

Post#2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:51 pm

i thought that they would never do a full wipe again? if i got it right...
And I hope they wont do, because a lot of ppl already spent months of playtime into their accounts :)

Edit: I dont mind a small reset of rr or else, but I dont see a reason why they should do it, since the ranks have been released step by step (very small steps).

th3gatekeeper

Post#3 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:53 pm

Renown Wipe: Good IDEA IMO as long as they only wipe people down to lvl 29 so we can still keep access to T3 pvp gear.

Full wipe:HORRIBLE. I may quit - just being honest. I know many others feel the same way.

Professions Wipe: Against this, however wouldnt be a HUUUUGE deal to me as I feel you can get these back up with a little bit of time. Unlike a full character wipe. Maybe a partial wipe here back down to "t3 levels" of say 150.

Gear Wipe: Against this as well... Many people have spent A LOT of time farming gear, especially on transmutes as well...

Gold Wipe: I think this would be fair on anything over, say, 1k gold. You dont want to completely wipe everyone out - especially since people have farmed a TON.

All in all, I think the goal here would be to put new players and legacy players on a more "even" footing. I think this is accomplished with wiping gold above 1k, renown above 29 and professions above 150.

Anything past that and I fear may have some negative reprocussions. I understand there was a complete gold wipe before, however its also my understanding that this was much earlier in the game, and my guess is less population and less gold existed than does today.

Also, dont forget MANY legacy players are more than willing to help new players. When I first joined the game and joined a guild, many players were willing to get me talis, help me farm, pass me gear that dropped they would merely sell. It was only because they were "comfortable" with what they already had that made them do this. If you wiped their gold, they would try and sell blues rather than pass them. etc.

Thats my stance on this whole thing. I think a small level of "reset" seems fair to me, but if you ruin what people have spent hours upon hours doing, IDK if it will have the desired effect and you should weigh the "imbalance" factor of new players with the "legacy quit" players that may leave over this.

I am fairly new to the game, but it really didnt take me ALL that long to get 5/5 duelist, +17 talis and basically "BIS" gear to be competitive... So I never really felt that as a new players I was at a huge disadvanatage....
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

TenTonHammer

Post#4 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Heres the real question? what necessitate that their should be a whipe in the first place

secondly if we were to go into t4 why on earth would you wipe renown, espically all they way? then people will be in t4 and cannot even use t4 sets causing a massive power grap

I see people here going we need to wipe, chars, renown, gold etc why? i have yet to see people list a valid reason besides "because reasons" and like you listed because were going from alpha to beta? what does that mean ive played on multiple early access "alpha stage" games that dont wipe your account when it goes from alpha to beta

ive grown attached to my chars and im sure others have too, i dont want people taking my characters names

furthermore having put this much effort into multiple alts and stuff to push them to this point wiping toons will probably kill the game for many people, i sure as hell know i wont be arsed to push the amount of alts i have to t4 again and others just might straight up leave

there does not even need to be a partial renown wipe the rr cap is 40 which the vast majority of the player bases toons or atleast their main toons are at

a partial reset even to 29 would be dumb were at 35, 35 is t4 you cannot go into t4 with 29 renown you dont have enough rr to wear t4 sets if its 29
Last edited by TenTonHammer on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penril

Post#5 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Why on earth would you wipe renown? It is only 40, not 100 or 80.

th3gatekeeper

Post#6 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Penril wrote:Why on earth would you wipe renown? It is only 40, not 100 or 80.
I think the entire idea is to "level" a playing field for new players.

Its inevitable that with the release of T4 there should and will be a flood of new players who are at a disadvantage to players who have like 5k gold, 100+ talis, 5/5 of both sets, 40 RR etc.

So I think that is the idea. Make it a more fair playing field so new players can catch up easier and not feel behind to BIS players.

Also I hear a rumor they wanted to "track renown gain" and make sure its not too much...
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

TenTonHammer

Post#7 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:01 pm

th3gatekeeper wrote:

Its inevitable that with the release of T4 there should and will be a flood of new players who are at a disadvantage to players who have like 5k gold, 100+ talis, 5/5 of both sets, 40 RR etc.

So I think that is the idea. Make it a more fair playing field so new players can catch up easier and not feel behind to BIS players.

Also I hear a rumor they wanted to "track renown gain" and make sure its not too much...

no one cares

every ones main toons are capped at 40

if you reset the rr levels to some nonsense like 29 then when t4 is relased and all the level 33 and above players are shifted to t4 you will have t4 toons with 29 rr can you not see the problem with this :roll:

saupreusse
Developer

Post#8 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:02 pm

yeah and since the ranks were released on so very small steps, it was easy for most ppl not to fall behind.
And you should not be punished for putting a lot of time into your acc.
And the change from alpha to beta is just a name change. its not like the game will change from one moment to another, its more like when the devs feel to take the next steps.

Ads
TenTonHammer

Post#9 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:03 pm

furthermore removing renown to 29 or something will not address the issue new players who come to RoR with t4 release

they will be in t1 not t4

Penril

Post#10 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:10 pm

th3gatekeeper wrote:

Source for this "track renown gain" rumor please. Else it is just that: a rumor.

Renown gain is ok (keep in mind we are talking about rr40; getting to 80 is a completely different monster).

I'm sure there will be nice PvE gear that will let you compete in T4 even if you are rr5. Epic quest rewards are already better than most of current SC weapons. Stalker gear is good too. If they introduce Darkpromise/Tyrant gear, people will be able to compete against players in Invader/Warlord. Even Sovereign.