Recent Topics

Ads

Black Orc Dilemma

Let's talk about... everything else
CrazedHobo

Black Orc Dilemma

Post#1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:40 pm

Hello to everyone, this will be my first post to the forums. To get right to the point of this thread, I'm currently in the process of ranking up a Black Orc. It was my main class for the short time that I was able to play Live, and I wanted to do the same here in RoR. However, I've spent some time reading around the forums and what I've seen has me concerned about viability. I never really enjoyed tanking as a Black Orc because of how "pure" or straight-forward a tank they are; in the sense they don't seem to have the same amount of fluff utility as say a Chosen or Black Guard. At the same time though, I've seen a lot of people say that Black Orcs are completely worthless in any other context.

With that being the case, I was hoping for some insight into the nature of what exactly I can do or expect in the meta. I'm rank 25 right now working towards Duelist armor, and need to decide on what direction to go. I would enjoy being able to continue speccing for something other than straight tank, but I feel bad seeing people mention the stereotype of "wanna-be" DPS Black Orc's. So, my question then is whether or not it's useless to do something like a Big Brawlin' build in RvR, or also whether it's possible to be something like an off-tank for more PvE orientated situations. Lastly, is it always best to use a SnB with Black Orcs, or does the DPS increase justify using a 2-Hander? I would appreciate anyone who can give some advice on the matter.

Ads
bwdaWAR

Re: Black Orc Dilemma

Post#2 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Gobtar

Post#3 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:51 pm

Hello! There are plenty of directions you can go, and respec to change your need. If utility is what you are interested in you can try this spec

http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=bo; ... 0:;0:0:0:0:

You have a 3s KD, Big Brawling for AoE snare and disorient, and YMM is really good for assisting against a slayer since Challange will just fall off of an AOEing slayer. This does really well when expanding into Tier 4 as you can slot YSMBD and can get Immaculate defence up early. This will make you corner stone of any party, and will let the chosen in your group opt for a 2h build (if he is not SnB himself)

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to go DPS assist. You still have plenty to offer the group even if damage is your mission, the problem people have is if they go glass cannon, and are basically as squishy as a DPS with no ability to gap-close. SnB DPS can be good fun, stacking Strength and Block...you still have NIDF which is an amazing ability as it is a cooldown increaser.

http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=bo; ... 6:;0:0:0:0:

Moral of the story, 2h is fun especailly if you are running tank heavy, but you give up alot of survivability ditching the shield, the DPS with SnB is fairly impressive as it is.

Also don't spam your Big Slash and no one will have problems.
Last edited by Gobtar on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenTonHammer

Post#4 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:51 pm

yeah

i dont know how old or long ago those disscussions were but

they were wrong we were all wrong because our preconceptions of black orc were from live, things are a bit different here in ror and in retrospect Black orc is a dam strong tank with its own form of utility with tactics like big brawlin, you sez me blok dat and lookin for opportunity

first off stat steal with Da Biggest is amazingly good espically if you steal iniative and significantly increase a targets chance to be crit

big brawlin is very good for really messing up melee trains by debuffing strenght and keeping them perma snared

you also have a cool down increaser with not in da face which can really mess with runepriest and their flash heals

yeah you can go 2h but bos can do very respectable damage with SnB as well
Last edited by TenTonHammer on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowgurke

Post#5 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Casual gameplay: Play whatever you like and have fun with. You won't lose Scenarios just because you go DPS Black Orc.

Advanced gameplay: BO is probably the destro tank with the highest amount of damage output. Emphasis on tank. That means if you gear like a tank and play like a tank. Other than that there is the "wanna-be dps black orc", not viable, not helpful and really squishy.

the main issue is playstyle oriented. If you don't want to guarrd stuff, then don't play a tank. If you want to deal as much damage as possible, don't play a tank. If you wan't to solo kill healers, don't play a tank

incredible

Post#6 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:54 pm

Some will tell you black orc is the best destro tank in the game. Maybe it can be.

In scenario group play, you bring the following nice tools to the table:

1. An aoe spammable snare.
2. A stat steal proc from Da Biggest bellow.
3. Skullthumper ability which gives additional corp damage to target anytime they are crit for 10 seconds
4. A single target shatter-limbs cool-down increaser

These are great tools. And are the "unique" things a BO can bring to the table in the tank role.
Unfortunately, they don't have the following tools which are very useful for the tank role:
1. a great punt to allow bursting a guarded a target.
2. an on demand snare or single target knockdown (and if you take the tools I said above, you would have no knockdown as the current level cap would put you 10 points in left and 8 points in right tree to get cool down increase and aoe snare).

for scenario play - the chosen is almost a requirement. it then comes down to black orc or black guard as the 2nd tank. pro's and con's to each.

peterthepan3

Post#7 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:55 pm

BO was designed to be a SNB DPS tank, imo. You don't lose much if you go SNB DPS. 2H will provide you with bigger crits/burst, but SNB can still get really nice damage with Stab You Gooder!.

Shadowgurke

Post#8 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:57 pm

incredible wrote:
2. an on demand snare
BO probably has the best on demand snare on Destro. It's on demand and spammable (0s CD). Extra points for being uncleansable by WP

Ads
Gobtar

Post#9 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:58 pm

incredible wrote:Some will tell you black orc is the best destro tank in the game. Maybe it can be.

In scenario group play, you bring the following nice tools to the table:

1. An aoe spammable snare.
2. A stat steal proc from Da Biggest bellow.
3. Skullthumper ability which gives additional corp damage to target anytime they are crit for 10 seconds
4. A single target shatter-limbs cool-down increaser

These are great tools. And are the "unique" things a BO can bring to the table in the tank role.
Unfortunately, they don't have the following tools which are very useful for the tank role:
1. a great punt to allow bursting a guarded a target.
2. an on demand snare or single target knockdown (and if you take the tools I said above, you would have no knockdown as the current level cap would put you 10 points in left and 8 points in right tree to get cool down increase and aoe snare).

for scenario play - the chosen is almost a requirement. it then comes down to black orc or black guard as the 2nd tank. pro's and con's to each.
The KD has replaced CHM...my suggested spec has both the KD and AoE Snare. and with Changing the Plan, the BO practically has an on demand snare. Snare every other GCDs is better than most. Completely agree with the punt/

Edit: I see that you were also promoting the CD increaser...my bad.
Last edited by Gobtar on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TenTonHammer

Post#10 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:58 pm

what incredible fails to point out through is that some of those tools are not suuuper necessary to have

you can have multiple other sorces of KDs in a party that its not necessary to have one on your second tank

Chosen has a 10s CD superpunt so its not absolutlty necessary to have one on BO

and chosen can also spec kd and you can have one on your mdps like WE and choppa the latter of whom BO shares great synergy with

furthermore you can prime snares and knock down with change da plan