Magi/Engi pets and their discontents

Let's talk about... everything else
Orontes

Magi/Engi pets and their discontents

Post#1 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:08 pm

Pets are fundamental to the both magi and engi. They are defining features of the classes. The class mechanics are designed to work best with an active pet. In days of old, when the world was just, pets were subject to AOE heals. Evil forces crept in* and this was changed. The change with pets appears to have actually been an attempt to deal with WL lions. Magi/engi got caught in the crossfire and left on the wayside. The current situation is in any large action magi/engi pets die from AOE in one to two hits. This means one could be re-summoning their pet 30-40 times, easily. One option is to use a tactic for instant re-summon. Even with this tactic, any re-summoned pet (assuming it is summoned before the prior one dies) automatically loses half it's potency and needs to rebuild to full strength all over again. A summon after the wimpy pet dies means the entire process begins from scratch. This is repeated over and over and over again.

Pets should: be immune to AOE, able to receive AOE heals, or simply made tougher. So let it be written. So let it be done.

*Some believe Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore" is about this assault on magi/engi pets.

Ads
xruptor

Re: Magi/Engi pets and their discontents

Post#2 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:20 am

I somewhat agree. Part of the problem is a lot of the damage relies on the turrets slowly stacking buff. So with them being killed with random aoe or what not, you lose out on a lot of damage since you have to sit there and wait for it to build up again. You can't say the same for other classes in the game and their mechanic. To make matters worse, if you resummon it once again (especially in the heat of battle), it will only die before you gain any benefit from it. It's like if you took away all the Dark Magic from a Sorc and forced them to watch as it gradually refills... only to take it away from them again before they even got to use it. I'm sure there are better analogies but still... I want to point out that it's not so obvious at lower levels but at higher levels Eng/Magus turrets just die if someone sneezes at them.

The system isn't absolutely 100% terrible, but it could use some work. Possibly allow them to be healed or something. I think if they were immune to aoe it would be a bit of a stretch, but I guess it would force opposing players to have to focus down a turret.

Mortorin

Post#3 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:33 am

What if the tactic that lets you instantly place turrets and redeploy for 0 AP (Well Oiled Machine on Engie) also made your turret spawn with a 10k absorb shield that lasted 30 seconds? Means you would need to keep an eye on the turrets absorb shield in order to respawn it before it gets destroyed.

Or, take away the pointless steam vent ability of the flame turret and replace it with a skill that grants an absorb shield to the turret? Need to work out the numbers so it isnt crazy powerful but maybe 3k every 10s or something. Could possibly make it also apply an absorb shield to its owner if they are within 20ft of it?

Just some thoughts. Apologies I dont play Magus so I don't know the equivalent tactic/skill names there but I'm sure the above could be mirrored quite easily.

Przepraszam

Post#4 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:38 am

Turrets/magus pet should be insta cast w/o tactic at the first place
Billpullman Blips
Millivanilli Karvosky

Brickson

Post#5 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:15 am

Spoiler:
Mortorin wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:33 am What if the tactic that lets you instantly place turrets and redeploy for 0 AP (Well Oiled Machine on Engie) also made your turret spawn with a 10k absorb shield that lasted 30 seconds? Means you would need to keep an eye on the turrets absorb shield in order to respawn it before it gets destroyed.

Or, take away the pointless steam vent ability of the flame turret and replace it with a skill that grants an absorb shield to the turret? Need to work out the numbers so it isnt crazy powerful but maybe 3k every 10s or something. Could possibly make it also apply an absorb shield to its owner if they are within 20ft of it?

Just some thoughts. Apologies I dont play Magus so I don't know the equivalent tactic/skill names there but I'm sure the above could be mirrored quite easily.
The pets definitely need some changes to not die so fast in aoe and to be easier to be deployed (or be less important for the overall damage of the classes) to make the engi/magus gameplay less static. It should however still be possible to kill them with single target damage quickly to reward smart play of your enemy. Absorb shields would prevent that.
Bricksana 8X SM, Bricksona 8X WH, Bricksone 7X Engi, Bricksorno 6X RP, Bricksonor 4X SW

Kylashandra

Post#6 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:49 pm

The fact is pets should be either able to receive group heals or have their own HP bar showing in group window so that healers can target them. As a healer, I'm always struggling to stop my WL's pet from dying every 3 seconds in Rvr.

anarchypark

Post#7 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:41 pm

pet management and positioning.
that's least requirement to play stationary mechanic.
full stack is very strong. it shouldn't be easy.

Or
reduce full stack number and effect.
it'll be much easier to reach full power and be mobile.

if you accept 7~80% power as normal and 100% power as rare, you can be mobile with current state.
always in full power with lazy mechanic, that's too much.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO5, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum ... =8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

martholomew

Post#8 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:50 pm

Przepraszam wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:38 am Turrets/magus pet should be insta cast w/o tactic at the first place
This right here, 100%. Period.

If I have to be tethered to the damn thing to perform on the same level as other classes that don't have to be tethered to a damn thing, at LEAST make it easier to manage.
Magus 40/78

Ads
Orontes

Post#9 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:08 pm

Bump

MonkeyHead

Post#10 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:14 am

We really need to look at the concept of these pets. They are basically a stance that has an auto-attack. Imagine if you could disable a Chosen aura by doing a small amount of damage to it. Or force a SW out of stance with a few auto attacks. then picture it took 8 seconds to get those abilities back. The pet should be immortal. its not hard to kill the magus to get rid of the mildly irritating pet.