Recent Topics

Ads

The "fresh server y/n?" discussion

Let's talk about... everything else
BUMY

Re: The "fresh server y/n?" discussion

Post#11 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:48 am

I'd rather not there be a new server / wipe. I think the conq prices could be lowered significantly ( vanq and opp only slightly lowered if at all ) so newer players can attain a more ' competitive ' set slightly quicker ( while still having to work for it ) and vets can still retain our advantage.

Ads
Secrets
Former Staff

Post#12 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:15 am

A new server or 'second server' would do nothing but cost us more money per month to run for no profit. Also - the issues with the server have nothing to do with the hardware, you can't throw more money at the servers and expect them to run better. What we've been doing is pure software optimization, and changing some aspects of it to run better under high concurrent users.

We're actually not hitting CPU limits or anywhere close to them. The issue this weekend was with the database saving too frequently and getting backed up; we batch player save queries every 60 seconds, and the process of doing so was taking up to 2 or 3 minutes under 3600 player load. No amount of hardware will make that quicker. We've increased that 1 minute save interval to 10 minutes and we'll reevaluate what changes we'll need to make.

Again, I will stress that we did NOT run into CPU limits, or RAM limits, disk space limits, etc. This is a pure software optimization problem and the fact that 3600 users are running in realtime on a C# gameserver is a bloody miracle to begin with.

toffikx

Post#13 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:42 am

If you play in decent parties/warbands, you will be fine most of the time.
You should have the conqueror set after rr 50+. That together with some weapons/jewels you get from bags should put you at a decent level gearwise.
As said earlier, key to good game experience is finding a good warband/party (either through discord,lfg,guild). 1v1 combat will be always subpar to group vs group combat. Even more so with Sovereign gear out.

Ototo

Post#14 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am

Secrets wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:15 am A new server or 'second server' would do nothing but cost us more money per month to run for no profit. Also - the issues with the server have nothing to do with the hardware, you can't throw more money at the servers and expect them to run better. What we've been doing is pure software optimization, and changing some aspects of it to run better under high concurrent users.

We're actually not hitting CPU limits or anywhere close to them. The issue this weekend was with the database saving too frequently and getting backed up; we batch player save queries every 60 seconds, and the process of doing so was taking up to 2 or 3 minutes under 3600 player load. No amount of hardware will make that quicker. We've increased that 1 minute save interval to 10 minutes and we'll reevaluate what changes we'll need to make.

Again, I will stress that we did NOT run into CPU limits, or RAM limits, disk space limits, etc. This is a pure software optimization problem and the fact that 3600 users are running in realtime on a C# gameserver is a bloody miracle to begin with.
The trouble can be reduced to hamster wheels, always...

Now seriously, thanks for your time, effort, and patience :) :)
Spoiler:

Orpheus66

Post#15 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:49 am

BUMY wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:48 am I'd rather not there be a new server / wipe. I think the conq prices could be lowered significantly ( vanq and opp only slightly lowered if at all ) so newer players can attain a more ' competitive ' set slightly quicker ( while still having to work for it ) and vets can still retain our advantage.
If a fresh server isn't possible I think this would be a fair compromise. I'm not looking forward to when I reach rank40 and start facing people with the best gear in-game

Tiamath

Post#16 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:00 am

Hello
no for fresh server.
imagine 3500 players appear on T1 at once.
that would collapse everything.
Next stop? The frontline ...
Tiamath - RR83 Blackguard, Khaladh of Kar Khadath Regiment.

Grock

Post#17 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:02 am

These wipe suggestions are totally ridiculous.
This server has been going for more than 5 years - people have characters they literally put years of life into, meanwhile you want a to kill that after playing less than a week? :lol:
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

empmoz

Post#18 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:08 am

Ah yes, the "I can't be bothered to put time into this so make it easier" argument. Lets just ruin the experience for all the players that have been leveling their characters for the past few years by making them start over again.

Ads
Sulorie

Post#19 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:15 am

Orpheus66 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:49 am

If a fresh server isn't possible I think this would be a fair compromise. I'm not looking forward to when I reach rank40 and start facing people with the best gear in-game
You will face a lot people with the same gear as you as well.
How about you don't rush to 40 and instead slow your xp gain in order to get more renown to be able to earn appropriate armor sets and weapons?
Dying is no option.

Lithenir

Post#20 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:34 am

Sulorie wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:15 am
Orpheus66 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:49 am

You will face a lot people with the same gear as you as well.
How about you don't rush to 40 and instead slow your xp gain in order to get more renown to be able to earn appropriate armor sets and weapons?
But Sulorie don't you know that the goal in a MMO is to reach max level the fastest time possible? 😜
But seriously guys demanding another server on a private server were the team does everything for free in their spare time is beyond ridiculous. And a wipe because it would be easier for you to catch up... I have no words.
As happy as I am about every new player willing to learn and asking things, taking advice. I am as annoyed about every new player demanding such ridiculous things