Recent Topics

Ads

[SM] Any chance being viable in RvR/Sieges with 2H?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Laoch74

Re: [SM] Any chance being viable in RvR/Sieges with 2H?

Post#31 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:58 pm

can I aslo get a list of Addons that are helpful For tanking

Ads
CyunUnderis

Post#32 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:03 pm

To track status effects - Buffhead
For better UI frames - Pure, Enemy
For custom effect/ability/resource notifications - Aura
To assist - Enemy, SwiftAssist
To guard - GuardPack

Paxsanarion

Post#33 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:53 am

Fenris78 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:26 am
Laoch74 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:05 am Would CW be in that rotation somewhere?
There is no "perfect rotation" to use everytime, it solely depends on who you are hitting and the situation you are in. SM got many specialized tools against various classes/archetypes, but some are more effective against specific class, ie. Dazzling strike will be more effective against zealot, less against shaman, and barely do anything against DoK.

Use accordingly, be careful for immunities (buffhead/aura are your friends) to use your only kd effectively, but you have many things to do outside of your rotation (taunt, challenge, guard swap).

Be sure to start with group absorb when available, try to launch your taunt/challenge under Whispering Wind to benefit from it (not many skills are), snare/kd fleeing enemies, debuff spirit and apply blurring shock when multiple dps are hitting your target, etc.

Also dont forget to use Dragon's Talon if you are the only one to hit a heavy dps (sorc, choppa for instance), but its especially useful with Raking talon tactic (you cannot go left tree at all with this build).

Use enemy addon to mark your teammates getting hit by sorc's Word of Pain, and Aura on yourself (enable timers on both), to activate your group absorb on the last second, effectively neutering a big chunck of the final hit.

You dont have to constantly "refresh" debuffs, Eagle's Flight is barely worth a gcd, and without Ether Dance you wont have any real burst. So you job will be limited to casting WW, group absorb, spirit debuff, and a final debuff of your choosing depending on the situation.
So try to adapt over the situation, and learn to use Sudden Shift to quickly get on the appropriate stance when you need it (SS will not trigger a gcd).

When under heavy pressure, use Wall of Darting Steel but be aware anything interrupting the channelling can get you killed, even for a second if you are heavily focused (it also can waste a big chunk of incoming fire since enemy think you are an easy target with 2H - use it to your advantage = every damage you avoid is spared from your team).
Fenris, may I ask what builds / gear you recommend for a balanced semi tanky 2h WB SM? :-) What build do you play most often now….I am swapping from shield tank to 2h…..would like to be useful in small groups as well as WB play. RR is 68….and I am still gearing up for 2h. Any gear recommendations for my RR level…

Edit: I did see this build from the Swordmaster builds master list….

RoR.builders - Sword Master

..thank you in advance!

BluIzLucky

Post#34 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:31 am

That build is more for solo/duo as you give up WW which is your main utility.

I'd go with R70 WW+PW AoE 2H - 11-0-13 dropping either CW or GWM.

I'd go with 5p Bloodlord + 3p Sent (ring:6% parry, gloves, boots) with Wounds talis, 2x Fragment and 1x Remnant with Crimsonwind.
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Paxsanarion

Post#35 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:05 pm

BluIzLucky wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:31 am That build is more for solo/duo as you give up WW which is your main utility.

I'd go with R70 WW+PW AoE 2H - 11-0-13 dropping either CW or GWM.

I'd go with 5p Bloodlord + 3p Sent (ring:6% parry, gloves, boots) with Wounds talis, 2x Fragment and 1x Remnant with Crimsonwind.
Thank you! :-)

Fenris78

Post#36 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:15 pm

Paxsanarion wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:53 am Fenris, may I ask what builds / gear you recommend for a balanced semi tanky 2h WB SM? :-) What build do you play most often now….I am swapping from shield tank to 2h…..would like to be useful in small groups as well as WB play. RR is 68….and I am still gearing up for 2h. Any gear recommendations for my RR level…

..thank you in advance!
Hello,

Like mentioned by my fellow previous poster here, Vaul's buffer is for solo roaming ; you cannot, absolutely cannot, play without Whispering Winds in warband. It's simply the only available option order got for CD reducer, so your one and only job in this regard should be dropping it on cd to buff all your groupmates.

You can drop Ether dance at the cost of damage burst (you wont do any significant Single Target burst without it), but I still recommend to keep GWM above any other tactic, since added defensive AND offensive is very well worth it, not matter the situation.

Keys to survivability in 2H mode is, aside from WoDS of course, are :
1. spend all your renown in defensive (full parry, full disrupt, 3 FS, and if possible 3 hardy concession to get extra tankiness),
2. using Crimsonwind for the best defensive proc of all 2H weapons
3. Stay over 600 toughness (with +160 tactic over talismans, tactic got better value)
4. use group shield (preferably with WW active)

Then everything else, gear-wise, should be chosen accordingly to respect these 4 key criterias ; using gear assortment to gain main stats will probably prevent you to use both Ether Dance and WW since you need the +2 masteries to spec both, but you will stand with more STR/Wounds most of the time.
Bloodlord 2 pieces can be useful since you get the wounds bonus from the start, but many options are available like sentinel/triumphant/victorious (wich can save you one armor slot thanks to the ring - use 6% parry talisman on it).

Anyway you need a very good defensive basis, renown being the best value to spend on.
Then offensive value will come mainly from GWM (+10% damage = +300 str or something like that), and discerning offense + 2H strikethrough wich will nets you an uber 20% parry/block strikethrough to hit pretty much everyone, not to forget Potent Enchantment for extra AoE damage (it's about 25-30% of you total damage alone).

Paxsanarion

Post#37 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:17 pm

Fenris78 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:15 pm
Paxsanarion wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:53 am Fenris, may I ask what builds / gear you recommend for a balanced semi tanky 2h WB SM? :-) What build do you play most often now….I am swapping from shield tank to 2h…..would like to be useful in small groups as well as WB play. RR is 68….and I am still gearing up for 2h. Any gear recommendations for my RR level…

..thank you in advance!
Hello,

Like mentioned by my fellow previous poster here, Vaul's buffer is for solo roaming ; you cannot, absolutely cannot, play without Whispering Winds in warband. It's simply the only available option order got for CD reducer, so your one and only job in this regard should be dropping it on cd to buff all your groupmates.

You can drop Ether dance at the cost of damage burst (you wont do any significant Single Target burst without it), but I still recommend to keep GWM above any other tactic, since added defensive AND offensive is very well worth it, not matter the situation.

1. spend all your renown in defensive (full parry, full disrupt, 3 FS, and if possible 3 hardy concession to get extra tankiness),
3. Stay over 600 toughness (with +160 tactic over talismans, tactic got better value)

Then everything else, gear-wise, should be chosen accordingly to respect these 4 key criterias ; using gear assortment to gain main stats will probably prevent you to use both Ether Dance and WW since you need the +2 masteries to spec both, but you will stand with more STR/Wounds most of the time.
Bloodlord 2 pieces can be useful since you get the wounds bonus from the start, but many options are available like sentinel/triumphant/victorious (wich can save you one armor slot thanks to the ring - use 6% parry talisman on it).

Anyway you need a very good defensive basis, renown being the best value to spend on.
Then offensive value will come mainly from GWM (+10% damage = +300 str or something like that), and discerning offense + 2H strikethrough wich will nets you an uber 20% parry/block strikethrough to hit pretty much everyone, not to forget Potent Enchantment for extra AoE damage (it's about 25-30% of you total damage alone).
Thank you so much!

Paxsanarion

Post#38 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:45 pm

Fenris78 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:15 pm

..thank you in advance!
Hello,

Can I impose upon you for one more question.......right now I have Anni + Invader for gear and Crimsonwind.......what should my progression be for gear set? Redeye? Sent? Dominator?

Ads
CyunUnderis

Post#39 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:07 pm

Paxsanarion wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:45 pm Can I impose upon you for one more question.......right now I have Anni + Invader for gear and Crimsonwind.......what should my progression be for gear set? Redeye? Sent? Dominator?
A mix Vanquisher (4) /Red Eye (3) is very good. Sentinelle / Red Eye too, waiting for Bloodlord.
Last edited by CyunUnderis on Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BluIzLucky

Post#40 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:57 pm

Not good for 2h though, 4p and 5p vanq bonus is useless.
You could go 4p red/3p vanq + 3-4p invader for now.
.. and then grind bloodlord/sent daily for a week :)
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70