Recent Topics

Ads

[AM] Need advice for DPS AM

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Lappenforce

[AM] Need advice for DPS AM

Post#1 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:51 am

Hello everyone,

I came to RoR a few weeks ago, main a BW (63 currently) and just started playing dps AM as a toon. I want to be more serious about it because it‘s alot of fun and seems to have huge potential.
I couldn‘t find any resources so far like there is for example for BW with Bomblings compendium.

I would really appreciate if you could help me get a better understanding of that spec. What I really need to know are things like what builds to use and when, general playstyle, what are the uses like where do i shine the most (small scale?), general tips / advice (stats?) and of course a gear progression because i‘m kind of lost in that regard.

Thanks in advance for any help, appreciate it !

Ads
inoeth
Suspended

Re: [AM] Need advice for DPS AM

Post#2 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:36 am

i think build wise its something like this:

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,3441,3451

equipment will be opressor or bloodlord

where do you shine? - nowhere except solo since you cant heal and do not deal any real ST or ae dmg, nobody will purposly grp you.

expect alot of hate from other players :D

Nebuchadnezzar

Re: [AM] Need advice for DPS AM

Post#3 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:33 am

I wrote a post on career/renown builds here: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=42007#p446231 . There are two main career build options. Beyond the must have abilities(Scatter the Winds heal debuff, Khaine's Touch channel tactic and Storm of Cronos resist debuff) you get to pick between either the silence + more hard points in Asuryan for damage or the slow puddle from the healing tree. The puddle gives you an actual kiting tool, but if you mostly play with some friends to protect you then the silence + additional damage is great. For renown, personally I like 3 futile strikes + full magic crit because crits are fun, but with Trivial Blows recently added swapping the crit for full int and the rest magic crit is probably smarter. It was always slightly more efficient on total damage given AM's low crit multiplier, I just like seeing crits :D

You do delayed single target burst damage. Your play style is mainly to apply all your DoTs while running around(they do more damage if you jump while casting I think), then stop every so often to do your good casted abilities, apply your burst cycle and hope you kill your target with that. Beyond that your sustained damage from your spammable casted attacks is a bit bad so you sort of wait around for the good abilities(ie your channel) to come off CD before doing it again. Your mobility while applying DoTs from range and fact you do magic damage with some self healing makes you a great solo class. You have a great ability to kite because you can run while applying your DoTs, but a lack of kiting tools outside of the puddle or a 1 min CD punt with a small slow attached to it makes it hard to create distance again if a melee does end up closing the gap so you need to be careful preemptively

Main DPS rotation is apply DoTs(LoC - TF - RG - StW so that when you get cleansed you can reapply LoC), Storm of Cronos resist debuff then Fury of Asuryan and Searing Touch to activate the ion cannon. Throw the AP drain in somewhere in the DoT cycle if you like having AP still when you're done. Can replace SoC with Law of Age toughness debuff if too far away or you're on the run and can't turn to Storm of Cronos. Could throw Rain Lord in at the beginning as a cover hex if the cleansing is really obnoxious. You can cast your HOT 5x beforehand if the situation/time permits to get a full high magic stack and bump up your DoT damage. Take Radiant Lance off your bar, Balance Essence is your spammable outside of the above because while both have a terribly slow cast time BE at least heals the random damage you'll probably have taken.

While your healing is pretty bad don't neglect it completely. Keep your HoT up on yourself at least to heal the random fluff damage and swap your defensive target around to make use of the trickle heal from Transfer Force or BE if you happen to be casting it. Cleanse can be useful to remove slows/DoTs, bubble on yourself/a buddy when you know a WE is about to jump is still useful.

For gear progression order, I would target the following:
  • 4 Dominator / 2 Oppressor (Oppressor shoulders and chest I think? Shoulders for sure and the second one I remember was pretty obvious when comparing the stats)
  • 4 Oppressor / 2 Dominator (Dominator boots and belt, stats are almost identical to Oppressor)
  • Maybe a Bloodlord / Oppressor mix would give better stats than the above? I personally can't stand PvE so I didn't bother looking at this. The procs are virtually useless because they're On Hit and most of AM damage is DoTs, so if you did this it'd just be for stats
  • Intermediate Sov / Opp / WL combo based on what option you choose below
  • 5 Sov / 3 Oppressor (Oppressor chest boots and belt) or 5 WL / 3 Sov (Sov shoulders cloak and boots) for end game depending on how long you want to spend farming royals. Both options have same DPS stats. WL/Sov option is ~100 more royals and has 30ish more wounds with better cosmetics (IMO). Sov/Opp option is cheaper and has an easier upgrade path(5 Opp + 3 Sov jewel, back and shoulders gets you 90% of the way there). There was a post on the shaman forums that compared the two with a spreadsheet but I can't find it right now. The two don't overlap very well so you have to pick one
Cloak/jewelry I'd use 3 piece Genesis for the reduced disrupt with either Beastlord or Sov/WL depending on what stage you're at above. If you're rolling in gold and want more survivability for solo you could swap the Fragment with the Gunbad Diamond. For talismans I personally think going a few wounds + int rather than full int is better at low gear levels so you can outlive burst combos to bubble/pot/kite etc but lots of people like to just go straight int.

For the staff, your options are:
  • City dungeon staff with the wounds proc(Fate of Lileath) for better survivability from burst combos because it almost always procs. There's an epic quest version that you can use in the interim(also named Fury of Asuryan?)
  • SC blue or purple staff for a more straight DPS option
  • Bloodlord staff for full glass cannon option
If you mostly play with friends you'll likely have the WP wounds buff so the wounds proc becomes less relevant, but if you mostly solo(like me) I find it can be really helpful for survival

As a note, while it's super fun DPS AM is basically useless beyond solo - 3 v 3ish. At higher player counts the damage windup is way too slow for effective assisting/target swapping when guard gets moved around(it's 5-6 GCDs before you start doing damage and most of your DoTs have CDs), and the more players the more likely there'll be a DoK(s) spamming the AoE cleanse and making it hard to get a full DoT stack. While the burst combo is good it's not enough to compete with sustained healing from good healers where even real DPS classes can struggle. Expect to respec to healing if you want to maybe get an invite to a city WB. Or just yolo queue and farm royals 3 crests at a time, haha. And as the above poster says expect lots of hate tells from people that wish you were healing them instead of making pew pew laser beams :D