Recent Topics

Ads

[SW] Which stats, when, why?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Vandoles

[SW] Which stats, when, why?

Post#1 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:05 pm

Hi, I see this asked often in advice for beginner SWs and after having reached r40/rr50 I'm starting to get some questions myself. I've tried to boil it down to a few simple ones, so as not to ask for a doctorate on SW stats:

1) How hard do you prioritize BS until the 1050 softcap? Is it worth completely losing any other stat over it?
2) What do you do when you reach 1050 BS? What do you do if you're assault, what do you do if you're skirmrish?
3) What defensive stat do you prioritize? Why? I see a lot of SWs put talismans with armor, I get blown up by sorcs/maguses as well, are those talis really worth it? How hard do you prioritize initiative and most importantly, toughness or wounds? Or like toughness until lets say 300, wounds until X?

These may seem like simple questions, but it's hard to get a proper answer on them and hard to judge for yourself.

Ads
Manatikik

Re: [SW] Which stats, when, why?

Post#2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:46 pm

Vandoles wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:05 pm Hi, I see this asked often in advice for beginner SWs and after having reached r40/rr50 I'm starting to get some questions myself. I've tried to boil it down to a few simple ones, so as not to ask for a doctorate on SW stats:

1) How hard do you prioritize BS until the 1050 softcap? Is it worth completely losing any other stat over it?
2) What do you do when you reach 1050 BS? What do you do if you're assault, what do you do if you're skirmrish?
3) What defensive stat do you prioritize? Why? I see a lot of SWs put talismans with armor, I get blown up by sorcs/maguses as well, are those talis really worth it? How hard do you prioritize initiative and most importantly, toughness or wounds? Or like toughness until lets say 300, wounds until X?

These may seem like simple questions, but it's hard to get a proper answer on them and hard to judge for yourself.
1) Get yourself to 950/970/990 so when you use a Pot/Lini you are soft capped. With conq you should be able to slot all WS talis even, so it's not hard to get maxed out

2) Weapon Skill. You only need armor talis if you are playing ASW, and you shouldn't play ASW until rr 70 and decent gear. To not die to rdps you use LoS, Detaunt, and then M1 (Lileath's Forgiveness is better than Concealment)

3) Use Futile Strikes to get to 0% Chance to be Crit, then you can take Deft Defender if you need more dodge/disrupt. Armor is only for ASW (though its not bad anyways but costs more) wounds on RDPS is what it is, with later gear you need thresholds but those change depending on what your main focus is. Toughness is not worth ever trying to get on SW since only Conqueror gear gives any meaningful amount PLUS with Instinctive Aim you are -120 plus Bloodlord weapon will give you another negative.
<Montague><Capulet>

wpc56
Suspended

Post#3 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:30 am

If you are low RR and want to try assault, you actually need wounds and ton of it. Try for two set with wound bonus.

Assault converts ONLY the BS on your gear and talisman. However you would need to put your renown training into melee crit or strength and futile strike.

Manatikik

Post#4 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:34 am

wpc56 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:30 am If you are low RR and want to try assault, you actually need wounds and ton of it. Try for two set with wound bonus.

Assault converts ONLY the BS on your gear and talisman. However you would need to put your renown training into melee crit or strength and futile strike.
Please dont try and advise people to wounds stack ASW at low levels... Low SW is already useless enough without trying to convince them to run in melee, with no damage, no cc, no armor, but to stack wounds and that will help?
<Montague><Capulet>

Vandoles

Post#5 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:34 am

Manatikik wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:34 am
wpc56 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:30 am If you are low RR and want to try assault, you actually need wounds and ton of it. Try for two set with wound bonus.

Please dont try and advise people to wounds stack ASW at low levels... Low SW is already useless enough without trying to convince them to run in melee, with no damage, no cc, no armor, but to stack wounds and that will help?
Actually I'm quite curious about sub-rr70 asw, being a gamer dad I'm highly unlikely to ever get past vanquisher. I'd love to switch occasionally for variety, should I still go for some + armor talis if I try to do it?

Manatikik

Post#6 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:39 am

Vandoles wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:34 am

Actually I'm quite curious about sub-rr70 asw, being a gamer dad I'm highly unlikely to ever get past vanquisher. I'd love to switch occasionally for variety, should I still go for some + armor talis if I try to do it?

You need at least rr 70 to make it work correctly, Vanq is fine for the most part but Invader or Bloodlord work better for ASW for little work if you can’t make Sov.
<Montague><Capulet>

Vandoles

Post#7 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:41 am

Manatikik wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:39 am

You need at least rr 70 to make it work correctly, Vanq is fine for the most part but Invader or Bloodlord work better for ASW for little work if you can’t make Sov.
Unfortunately invader is several months to half a year away for me, minimum. So for trying out some assault for variety should I grab some armor talis on my conq stuff?

Manatikik

Post#8 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:25 am

Vandoles wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:41 am
Manatikik wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:39 am

Unfortunately invader is several months to half a year away for me, minimum. So for trying out some assault for variety should I grab some armor talis on my conq stuff?

Conq doesn’t cut it for ASW anymore. Try to get Bloodlord it’s pretty easy. But you can do 5 vanq 4 beastlord. Invader should realistically take maybe a month? Between forts and cities it takes no time to grab it.
<Montague><Capulet>

Ads
Akalukz

Post#9 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:38 pm

I say try it. It may not perform "best" but if it is fun do it! I wouldn't drop serious amounts of gold on talismans until high-level gear tho. I think you should probably find ya a niche playstyle as a gaming dad. It can be a struggle gaming with a houseful of people... i know ;) If you ever want to group up with another gaming dad/husband/newgrandpa givee me a holler. Mys SW is Akalina :)
-= Agony =-

velenne

Post#10 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:47 pm

I'll echo others here who suggest avoiding aSW until rr70. I didn't want to believe it either, but the tradeoffs just aren't worth it until you have the high-end gear and a lot of renown points to spend.

To answer your questions:
- Prioritize Ballistic until you can hit the soft cap with a potion. (970 or so)
- After that, weapon skill.
- I run Instinctive Aim so I'm taking a big hit to my toughness. I offset it with 120 from renown points. After that you can focus on ranged crit and 2 into futile strikes if you want, but honestly the best defense is not to be hit so try to play around a LoS blocker and with healers who take care of you. You don't want to be too squishy or you die before they can help you.