Recent Topics

Ads

Constructive Criticism on Whirling Pin ability for SW

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
jvlosky

Constructive Criticism on Whirling Pin ability for SW

Post#1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:31 am

As with the recent SW I and many other players have been playing theirs to see what all the hub bub is about. After a good bit of usage and returning to the class does anyone else feel that Whirling Pin is a near useless 'oh **** button'?

For me the fact it isn't 'instant' makes it almost a deal breaker. Due to how the ability works it has to wait for the full spinning animation to complete before the 'jump back'. Most of the time the 'jump back' isn't much more than 20ft it feels like which isn't much of a buffer to put between you and your aggressor, especially considering the ability cannot be used 'early' because the 'jump back' doesn't trigger unless someone is within melee range.

As far as I have seen the best use of it is to break your fall when jumping on a destro as it can be used in mid air right before you land. But that is about all the uses I have found for it. I think to make it a viable 'oh ****' button the animation needs to be removed and the whole of the aoe slow and jump-back needs to be instant while the 'jump back' itself should take more of a parabola shape with more height considering you get caught on uneven terrain a lot. Otherwise I haven't found much use for it to escape anyone. Do any other SWs share this sentiment or is there a better way of using the ability that I am not keen to?

Edit: Upon further inspection it seems that Whirling Pin isn't actually 'instant' cast as shown in the tooltip. Instant cast abilities can be used while in mid air while jumping, examples being: SW's Sweeping Slash, KOTBS Arcing Swing, Slayer's Flurry and the like. Whirling Pin cannot be activated in the air, it has to check for the completion of the animation. Wack
Last edited by jvlosky on Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ads
TreefAM

Re: Constructive Criticism on Whirling Pin ability for SW

Post#2 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:49 am

Well If you're getting trained hard this spell won't really help you much anyhow, while roaming I only bother with it to escape vs melee and kite them for a bit until VoN is off cd so I can go back in and burst them down.
In scs I often use it as a pounce where I just turn my back to their tankline and jump with it into their healers while my guard is driving through them. You often don't want to use this since while in the air your defensives don't count for **** and sorcs can erase you in a eyeblink. Its just a positioning game like any other mdps.

Fenris78

Post#3 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am

fully agreed on that. Useless skill :
- Slow animation animation (not instant),
- having to hit enemy from about 20' (the range is far too short, should be 30' at least),
- your leap is performed from your orientation instead of jumping away from nearest enemy (so if you're running back you're bumped into enemy, it's stupid),
- and the jump distance is very short to allow any kind of safety (you are pretty much toasted by any 30-40' CC skill, not to mention charge that mdps can perform to catch you, including mSH...=

So the leap should either pull player farther away (like, double the distance), OR give the SW a speed boost (let's say +25% for 5s) OR allow a short furtivity cloaking (like 5s invisibility) to have more chance escaping (and that could create surprise by disorienting enemy).

The drawback would be the same : having to hit a close enemy, wich is already very hazardeous situation considering poor defensive stats of a SW.

jvlosky

Post#4 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:05 am

bump ;D

Feomatar1
Suspended

Post#5 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:38 am

U just dont know how to proper use it.

Feomatar1
Suspended

Post#6 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:39 am

Fenris78 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am fully agreed on that. Useless skill :
- having to hit enemy from about 20' (the range is far too short, should be 30' at least),
- your leap is performed from your orientation instead of jumping away from nearest enemy (so if you're running back you're bumped into enemy, it's stupid),
- and the jump distance is very short to allow any kind of safety (you are pretty much toasted by any 30-40' CC skill, not to mention charge that mdps can perform to catch you, including mSH...=

So the leap should either pull player farther away (like, double the distance), OR give the SW a speed boost (let's say +25% for 5s) OR allow a short furtivity cloaking (like 5s invisibility) to have more chance escaping (and that could create surprise by disorienting enemy).

The drawback would be the same : having to hit a close enemy, wich is already very hazardeous situation considering poor defensive stats of a SW.
Wp isnt an panic move, just build tactics in your brains. PLUS it can be used as gapcloser if u fast enough so no, wp is fine.

Likeaboss

Post#7 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:31 am

Feomatar1 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:39 am
Spoiler:

Wp isnt an panic move, just build tactics in your brains. PLUS it can be used as gapcloser if u fast enough so no, wp is fine.
Yup is fine, and SH has the same. The only point you can argue, for SW and SH, AM/WP and Shaman/DOK partycleanse can dispell it instantly on AoE... thats a pitty for the short range kick. But increase the range of the kick would be a horrible idea,
would be like WL Pounce :lol: nono not that dramaticly but in good hands it would be a pain in the... you know :)
wargrimnir wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:50 pm Accidental solo-friendly content doesn't stay that way for very long.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#8 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:15 am

what is it then? it sure is a gapcloser but usually fails to do exactly that. sure you can do jump into Whirling pin and try to align yourself correctly to be punted downhill to get the most out of it but that can't really be the standard if you ask me.

Ads
jvlosky

Post#9 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Explain to me how it is a gap closer if you need to be in melee range for the leap to trigger? Your post is completely contradictory. If the leap activated regardless you might have a point otherwise your post doesn't make sense. You kind of just sound like a jerk when you 'you dont know how to use it' without providing any sort of substance for your opinion like everyone else in this post. Please don't waste our time with your trollingness.

I would like to hear the 'proper' use of this ability. Again how is it a 'gap closer' if the leap doesn't activate unless the enemy is already in melee range?

Martok

Post#10 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:10 pm

jvlosky wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:31 amAfter a good bit of usage and returning to the class does anyone else feel that Whirling Pin is a near useless 'oh **** button'?

Whirling Pin?

Blame It On My ADD Baby...