Recent Topics

Ads

[AM] Can I be a Hybrid?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Brunch

[AM] Can I be a Hybrid?

Post#1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi guys. I'm new to the game and have tried a few classes. I enjoy the AM the most so far. I like both dps and healing, and so far I don't really mind the AM's unique mechanic. I have collected my first set of scenario gear, RvR gear, and purchased both staves. I have an Int set and a Will set now.

I always heal my allies when necessary. I want you guys to know that I'm not a selfish dps and just ignore them, but I'd like to be able to dps a bit when appropriate too.

I've noticed that the scenario gear is Int, and the RvR set is Will. However, I have a couple random green pieces that have both Int and Will.

So I have a few questions:

1. Is there gear in the game that covers both Int and Will? And,

2. If I pump renown points into both Int and Will, could I do both?

Sorry if these questions are stupid, and I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Ads
Sulorie

Re: [AM] Can I be a Hybrid?

Post#2 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm

You will perform significantly better, if you pick either willpower or intel. When a target in your group gets focus dmg, you have to spam heals, you have no time to alternate heal and damage spells in order to use the mechanic.
When you want to kill a target, casting heal spells in between will mess up your rotation.
Dying is no option.

sn3jk

Post#3 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:07 pm

I would say no, i mean you can but its not optimal. Not much gear have both stats but you could mix sets if youre into that.
Also as a healer its almost always better to pre-hot than dpsing.

It would work best in 2-3 man roaming, since you can do derpy stuff there and if your team only have 1 dps it might be good if the healer can do some damage.

Also i dont like it when healing classes play dps in pugs, its so selfish. But thats just my opinion!
Bacongrease - Squig Herder
Bloodynine - Chosen
Oldest - Shaman

Brunch

Post#4 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:34 pm

Sulorie wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm When a target in your group gets focus dmg, you have to spam heals, you have no time to alternate heal and damage spells in order to use the mechanic.
When you want to kill a target, casting heal spells in between will mess up your rotation.

I agree with you. I would not allow myself to be so bound by the mechanic that I would cast something inappropriate to the situation. I just meant that the mechanic doesn't seem like the "worst thing ever" like a lot of threads I have read seem to think.

sn3jk wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:07 pm Also i dont like it when healing classes play dps in pugs, its so selfish. But thats just my opinion!

I would never do this, sir! I could never watch a teammate die when I could save them with a heal. But if everyone is topped off, and/or the situation allows, it would be nice to be able to do.

I've had a couple scenario matches where I've been #1 on healing and also had the most killing blows. This is because in those games we happened to be low on dps, if you can believe it. I realize this was just a fluke of circumstance and that this is probably something that won't happen at the higher levels. I've also had long 1v1s where I've won after extensive kiting and couldn't help but think "man, I wish I did a bit more damage".

I was just wondering if it was possible to gear and spec in a way that allows me to have both high Int and high Will.

Grampybone

Post#5 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:25 pm

In my experience it can't be done very well.
To heal well you need healing tactics, funnel essence and magical infusion imo and to dps you need dps tactics and heal debuff.
The best you could hope for as a hybrid is doing life leech dps and that way you can get about equal amounts of heal and damage but you will be a off healer at best and won't be able to save your friends if they are getting focused.

NSKaneda

Post#6 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:33 pm

Hybrid AM and Shaman builds have been nerfed together with class mechanic changes.

You can do it but it's a shade of what it used to be.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#7 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Spoiler:
Brunch wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:34 pm
Sulorie wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm When a target in your group gets focus dmg, you have to spam heals, you have no time to alternate heal and damage spells in order to use the mechanic.

I agree with you. I would not allow myself to be so bound by the mechanic that I would cast something inappropriate to the situation. I just meant that the mechanic doesn't seem like the "worst thing ever" like a lot of threads I have read seem to think.

sn3jk wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:07 pm Also i dont like it when healing classes play dps in pugs, its so selfish. But thats just my opinion!

I would never do this, sir! I could never watch a teammate die when I could save them with a heal. But if everyone is topped off, and/or the situation allows, it would be nice to be able to do.

I've had a couple scenario matches where I've been #1 on healing and also had the most killing blows. This is because in those games we happened to be low on dps, if you can believe it. I realize this was just a fluke of circumstance and that this is probably something that won't happen at the higher levels. I've also had long 1v1s where I've won after extensive kiting and couldn't help but think "man, I wish I did a bit more damage".

I was just wondering if it was possible to gear and spec in a way that allows me to have both high Int and high Will.
In Tier 1 there is no big diference in your stats Int/willp from a pure dps am and a pure healer AM. Also you dont have much mastery/RR points to spend, and only 1 tactic slot....but at high level there is a really big diference in stats/mastery/RR/tactics for heal/dps am. At low levels hybrids shine...but at high level you must choose 1 main path. (as others said) you can spare some heals (weak heals) while dpsing or some lifetaps but that never will cover the slot of a real healer.

sn3jk

Post#8 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:20 pm

I would say the biggest thing holding a healer back from doing some damage between heals is that the time is better spent anticipating your opponent, detaunting, pre hottng etc. Basically i seldom find a free gcd to use for dmg instead of other things
Bacongrease - Squig Herder
Bloodynine - Chosen
Oldest - Shaman

Ads
Brunch

Post#9 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:37 pm

emiliorv wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:34 pm In Tier 1 there is no big diference in your stats Int/willp from a pure dps am and a pure healer AM. Also you dont have much mastery/RR points to spend, and only 1 tactic slot....but at high level there is a really big diference in stats/mastery/RR/tactics for heal/dps am. At low levels hybrids shine...but at high level you must choose 1 main path. (as others said) you can spare some heals (weak heals) while dpsing or some lifetaps but that never will cover the slot of a real healer.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm a bit disappointed, but it's exactly what I needed to hear.

darkt

Post#10 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Sulorie wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm You will perform significantly better, if you pick either willpower or intel. When a target in your group gets focus dmg, you have to spam heals, you have no time to alternate heal and damage spells in order to use the mechanic.
And thats the complete issue with AM, there ment to weave, to get Tranquility and or Focus, but they can;t seeign they need to spam heal ... or spam attack..