Recent Topics

Ads

Differences between dps AM and dps Sham?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
LouisArmstrong

Differences between dps AM and dps Sham?

Post#1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:02 pm

Mainly for solo play: orvr roam and solo scenarios.

I enjoy my level 30 AM but curious to hear a comparison to its mirror.

Ads
kmark101

Re: Differences between dps AM and dps Sham?

Post#2 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:21 pm

The difference is that with dps AM you are making my side (Order) lose.
With dps shaman you are making my side win.
Gryyw - Ironbreaker

Gridgendal

Post#3 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:17 pm

I have a DPS AM and DPS Shaman, so before you get mad about what I say, just know this comes from experience not malice. DPS healers in general are a liability that will cause your team to lose. People expect healers to actually heal, even if your DPSing. Most DPS healers only heal themselves and selfishly try to get kills while everyone around them dies. They are great for running solo where you have no one else to heal and no one is counting on you healing. They are completely useless in anything higher than a duo roaming a lake unless you can do enough dps and heals to not let your team die every engagement.

The only real difference between DPS shaman and DPS AM is.... Shaman can run away faster when you let everyone else die.

Jabba

Post#4 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:47 pm

Ignore all the entitled whiners who expect you to heal them in a scenario, if they wanted a guaranteed healer in their sc, they should have queued up with one.

As to your question, am is a stronger 1v1 class, it has far fewer unfavourable matchups than shammy, and it completely hard counters shammy itself. Shammy is better 1vX though (depending on what classes they face) because they can kite far better.

In scenarios, shammy is a better DPS as:
It has better burst.
Is cleansed less (dok can cleanse am, wp can't cleanse shammy).
Has an easier time reaching intel soft cap.
Has quite a big, inbuilt toughness debuff that's part of your normal rotation that the am doesn't have.
Tushi Splats Tush Emoalbino Podge

Starx

Post#5 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:51 pm

DPS AM has a better healdebuff which also is a very high damage dot, 10% strike through tactic I feel like its better than DPS Shaman in terms of single target damage... theres a reason there are 10 DPS AM for every dps sham.

Shaman has the only stacking toughness debuff from tactic in middle tree which is really good, has great tactics for kiting and surviving longer in general, has more potion/liniment options bc of the int steal they have.

DPS healers aren't a liability in scens don't let idiots tell you that you can do similar damage to most dps while being 10x more self sufficient when you dont have a gaurd/healer. Unfortunately because the channel tactic was absolutely SLAM DUNKED by the nerf we run around with a perm -40% outgoing healdebuff now which really hinders our ability to off heal in any real meaningful way.

Sulorie

Post#6 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:02 am

Jabba wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:47 pm Ignore all the entitled whiners who expect you to heal them in a scenario, if they wanted a guaranteed healer in their sc, they should have queued up with one.

As to your question, am is a stronger 1v1 class, it has far fewer unfavourable matchups than shammy, and it completely hard counters shammy itself. Shammy is better 1vX though (depending on what classes they face) because they can kite far better.

In scenarios, shammy is a better DPS as:
It has better burst.
Is cleansed less (dok can cleanse am, wp can't cleanse shammy).
Has an easier time reaching intel soft cap.
Has quite a big, inbuilt toughness debuff that's part of your normal rotation that the am doesn't have.
There is nothing more to say, well said.
Dying is no option.

Zumzat

Post#7 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:31 am

Gridgendal wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:17 pm I have a DPS AM and DPS Shaman, so before you get mad about what I say, just know this comes from experience not malice. DPS healers in general are a liability that will cause your team to lose.
kmark101 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:21 pm The difference is that with dps AM you are making my side (Order) lose.
With dps shaman you are making my side win.
Any of you cares to explain with figures and numbers please?
According to my calculations both sham and am are capable of doing decent single target dps (compared to bw and sorc) and still have a lot of utilities like silence/heal reduction/resist and toughness reduction etc. But last time I played this game more than 10 years ago, so I'm not sure I've took all the factors into account.

Or do you mean that the problem is literally dps class taking a healer slot in sc party?

Mystry
Suspended

Post#8 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:11 am

Stop wasting your time trying to be DPS on healer archetypes. I tried it for over a year and a half as WP. It doesn't work, and you piss everyone off.

Just heal, or roll a BW or Engi. There's nothing stopping you from casting dots in between heals, but stop trying to be an Elf Bright Wizard.

Everyone likes to say 'it's my character I'll play how I want', and that's all well and good, but please understand that you're making us lose when you choose to do that. Your utility -does- -not- -matter-. What matters are heals. Strong, reliable, consistent healing.

Ads
Starx

Post#9 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:15 am

Mystry wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:11 am Stop wasting your time trying to be DPS on healer archetypes. I tried it for over a year and a half as WP. It doesn't work, and you piss everyone off.

Just heal, or roll a BW or Engi. There's nothing stopping you from casting dots in between heals, but stop trying to be an Elf Bright Wizard.

Everyone likes to say 'it's my character I'll play how I want', and that's all well and good, but please understand that you're making us lose when you choose to do that. Your utility -does- -not- -matter-. What matters are heals. Strong, reliable, consistent healing.
There is no Matchmaker, if I que on a bw instead of DPS am you now have even less healing. I could understand this argument if a DPS AM was taking a healer slot in city or a scenario but thats not the case. If the DPS am isnt trash they can dance around 1/1 mechanic and provide some off healing, healer morales, and a small drip feed of hots. Ya its pretty bad especially now that on top of divine fury we also have another 20% healdebuff but id rather my 6th slot in a party with no heals be a dps am than another bw.

Omegus

Post#10 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:46 am

LouisArmstrong wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:02 pm Mainly for solo play: orvr roam and solo scenarios.

I enjoy my level 30 AM but curious to hear a comparison to its mirror.
Just a reminder that there are no "solo scenarios". You might queue solo but you're queueing for a team-based game mode so expect rage if your side is losing.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot