Recent Topics

Ads

[SM] 2H considered DPS or Tank?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Caleb

[SM] 2H considered DPS or Tank?

Post#1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm

I've been testing Scenario queues on DPS and Tank, and DPS queue seems quite long.

Considering I don't have much free time to play I might just roll with a tank, but if I play a Swordmaster which is ( as far as I know ) designed to play as 2H...does that queue as a DPS or a Tank?

Ads
TenTonHammer

Re: [SM] 2H considered DPS or Tank?

Post#2 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:58 pm

According to the devs all 2H tanks are dps

But all possess just as good if not better CC tools and the ability to still guard targets and mitigate damage

4Head

toffikx

Post#3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:46 pm

Tanks have their archetype-specific abilties regardless of their weapon choice. For scenarios there is a mastery check system in place, that determines if you will be placed as "tank" or "dps" archetype in the quque. And while we're on the subject, that mastery check is not really providing a better and quicker scenario pops. Altough I didn't get an answer on this, judgind by how talents look, you'll be classified as "dps" if you spec deep into Path of Kaine. Which is well, pointless, since most small scale tanks will run Ether Dance. Same for the BG, if you use Crimson Death you are "dps", but who doesn't use Crimson Death in small scale.
The biggest difference between being an "offensive" and "defensive" tank will come from your gear and the talismans you use, not your weapon choice.

Cheers

Esperflame

Post#4 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:54 am

toffikx wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:46 pm Tanks have their archetype-specific abilties regardless of their weapon choice. For scenarios there is a mastery check system in place, that determines if you will be placed as "tank" or "dps" archetype in the quque. And while we're on the subject, that mastery check is not really providing a better and quicker scenario pops. Altough I didn't get an answer on this, judgind by how talents look, you'll be classified as "dps" if you spec deep into Path of Kaine. Which is well, pointless, since most small scale tanks will run Ether Dance. Same for the BG, if you use Crimson Death you are "dps", but who doesn't use Crimson Death in small scale.
The biggest difference between being an "offensive" and "defensive" tank will come from your gear and the talismans you use, not your weapon choice.

Cheers
^This! All of This. This is why many of the community hasn't really came back, if only one of a few reasons. As a person who plays nothing but tanks primarily, by saying because I use a 2h I'm a DPS is a mistake. The devs over the past 3 years I have joined have nerfed SnB tanks. Hell before I even joined they nerfed KoBS and Chosen by adding a requirement to fully use the punt tactic on those classes. Now they want to make Raze require a 2h. The only reason my BO isn't SnB is because they took away Treehit Combo.

You want to see more SnB tanks and keep trying to push the players back into that style without addressing the changes you forced upon us. Different and yes even 2h builds are not about becoming a DPS as a tank. It's supposed to be about tools and options given to us and how we want to use them. This enforcement of build dictating what you are began because you made a change to Shaman/Archmage that made doing dps not a challenge and easy as spam 1 heal in between each attack spell to get the most out of it.
Karnak (Ironbreaker), Hadebrandt (KotBS), Quigon (Swordmaster), Rakthraka (Black Orc), Thulza (Chosen), Braerithryn (Blackguard)

"Yeah, I play all the tanks. I've got beef!" - Me

DokB

Post#5 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:07 am

If I remember correctly, you are only counted as DPS if you are queuing solo. If you're in a group you are always counted as a tank.
Chosen/KotBS are also never considered DPS. Stuff might have changed since then so I dunno.
Zoggof - Black Orc
Doinks - Ironbreaker
Leatherman - Blackguard

Martok

Post#6 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:39 am

I have always considered two-hand SM's fun to play. Thus endeth the lesson.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Sulorie

Post#7 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:19 am

When you queue solo, use shield. In a group, it doesn't matter.
Dying is no option.

CountTalabecland

Post#8 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 pm

There is no such thing as a dps tank so idk why the system is set to even try to calculate such a thing. Going full dps stats and not guarding is just as useless as going full defense and not guarding. I don't see why they should take up a "slot" as anything other than a tank. Same with DPS healers who don't heal in between attacking, these are just bad players, not a real "DPS."

Should be that a tank is a tank is a tank. The only real requirement is that everyone playing a tank has guard on their hotbar and is not braindead on how to use it.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Ads
anarchypark

Post#9 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:10 pm

simple tests for solo 2h tank.

#1.
guard sorc/bw, choppa/slayer.
see how long you can stand.

#2.
often find yourself checking dps chart after SC or during SC.

#3.
challenge is located far far away from main skills.

#4.
where would you WANT to go
left side 50ft away, enemy caster beaten half hp.
right side 50ft away, ally caster beaten half hp.

#5. grp test
join 1grp premade.
tell them you're a tank and see their reaction after 1 round.

if still think you're a tank,
I guess SC manager already treat u as tank.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Martok

Post#10 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:20 pm

CountTalabecland wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 pm...these are just bad players, not a real "DPS."

Or, perhaps, they are players playing their toon in the manner which is the most fun and enjoyable for them during the time they have to invest in playing this game.

Heresy, I know, to suggest someone should play their toon in a manner which does not account for your feelings, but hey...
Blame It On My ADD Baby...