Recent Topics

Ads

The New Assault SW

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Orontes

The New Assault SW

Post#1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm

I see lots of big bouncy squigs about since the patch changes. I think it's great to see the changes made to that class. It doesn't seem to me that the new Assault SW is seeing as much attention. The addition of the new 15 pt. Shadowstep really seems a great addition. I am curious about what SWs think about this new option and how they would set their mastery builds accordingly. I also wonder about what renown points an Assault Spec. SW would opt for. Thanks

Ads
dansari

Re: The New Assault SW

Post#2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:06 pm

I haven't tried the new Shadowstep yet. I think this post covers how I'll probably feel about it:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27274&start=150#p309317

Giving up the heal debuff is not an option, so you either give up the mobility of Swift Strikes or the dps from No Respite. I don't think I'd try to make Shadowstep work outside of an rr70 build. As for renown, I go pretty heavily defensive: full parry, full d/d, as much reduced crit chance I can have with leftover in melee crit. For lower rr SWs, I would prioritize at least dodge/disrupt III, then parry II or III, then melee crit, then reduced crit chance.
<Salt Factory>

carmine3161

Post#3 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:24 pm

Every time a buff comes out for assault stance i test it out and i also rediscover why i dislike playing it so much. Biggest counter to a SW is just snaring and then punting (keeps you out of the fight for a good while).

Shadowstep as a gap closer
Spoiler:
Shadowstep as a gap closer should fix the time that is required for you to get back in the fight which it does but only when you're punted and snared and still in range of a pounce-able target. This ability compared to a more genuine gap closer is very wonky and sometimes actually pointless. The biggest counter to someone shadowstepping towards you is to just move in a horizontal line, if you do this the SW will be about 10-15feet behind you, if you sprint it might me be more around 15-30ft this is due to Shadowsteps slow travel time.

Shadowstep also jumps to a persons last registered position as soon as you finish casting, so if they are moving you are already delayed similar to pounce but pounce has the speed boost. Some SW's say to snare beforehand which is probably the best way to do it or get someone else to snare first, The issue with this is now the ability gets very clunky. Shadowstep also jumps infront of someone rather then on top of someone like pounce, so if you try to shadowstep up to someone on a keep then expect to hit the wall.
Starting a fight with shadowstep
Spoiler:
Starting a fight in skirmish for the snare works best for this giving shadowstep about a 3.5s cast time. However once you're already in the fight you can no longer do the same thing reason being that switching from assault to skirmish will add the 5s and take down will take about 2s so then you're stuck.

You can cast shadowstep with about a 5s cast time this way although the ability to do ranged damage for 3's so about 2 spiral arrows, by the time you do all this your snare will have 5's left maybe 4s on the target. Takedown also has the possibility in being dodged which most healers are going to be running a moderate amount of and also the snare works as an Ailiment so if your enemy has a good DoK or Shaman player they will cleanse it so i suggest you mask it with broadhead arrow
As this ability currently stands i think its a poor choice for a gap closer, I've had times where walking or sprinting to my target is faster and other SW's can agree. This ability was worth all these downsides when it had the 50% armor pen but that was really op.

SW already has a lot of damage so i would spec fairly defensively in assault you only have like 100 toughness, so a toughness debuff and your at 0 and your armor wont hold up against WE's too well so you want a decent amount of parry.

To find a good renown setup you really just gotta play and figure out your issues and then renown spec around that, getting hit by to many sorcs and ranged? go for dodge/disrupt. dying in melee to fast? get futile+parry.

I would spec like this for starters. if you have much renown i would go crit first, then futile, then the other defensives.
http://waronlinebuilder.org/#renown;000 ... 3000000000

Here is mastery setup. You're always going to want to have heal debuff, however if you have an ally using it then maybe opt for getting No Respite in the middle tree and glass arrow on the left.
http://www.ror.builders/career/shadow-w ... ,3948,3961

Here is also a video of me using the ability day 1
Last edited by carmine3161 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sybella SW 40/82(Lying in wait) | Quillbolt WL 40/83 |
My Videos My Twitch

blackwatch1508

Post#4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:47 pm

It looks like a fun ability, but as said my group/wb would rather have the heal debuf then me flying into the enemy. I'd get focused in a second
For renown I'd go all evasion, crit reduction, and I send the spare on wounds

Foomy44

Post#5 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Orontes wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm I see lots of big bouncy squigs about since the patch changes. I think it's great to see the changes made to that class. It doesn't seem to me that the new Assault SW is seeing as much attention.
FTR assault SW had it's rework many patches ago and has seen multiple tweaks since. I'm pretty sure stabbity tree went over a year without a single buff. Can't focus on everything every patch, everyone gets their turn eventually.
Destro: Chompy, ShroomStew, TrollBlood, DoomBeast, DoomDoctor, DoomDisk, Doomshadow, FunkFoot, Bloodwell
Order: Stormwall, Mistfall, CatNap, BoomRune, Bangman

Orontes

Post#6 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:12 am

carmine3161 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:24 pm Every time a buff comes out for assault stance i test it out and i also rediscover why i dislike playing it so much. Biggest counter to a SW is just snaring and then punting (keeps you out of the fight for a good while).

Shadowstep as a gap closer
Spoiler:
Shadowstep as a gap closer should fix the time that is required for you to get back in the fight which it does but only when you're punted and snared and still in range of a pounce-able target. This ability compared to a more genuine gap closer is very wonky and sometimes actually pointless. The biggest counter to someone shadowstepping towards you is to just move in a horizontal line, if you do this the SW will be about 10-15feet behind you, if you sprint it might me be more around 15-30ft this is due to Shadowsteps slow travel time.

Shadowstep also jumps to a persons last registered position as soon as you finish casting, so if they are moving you are already delayed similar to pounce but pounce has the speed boost. Some SW's say to snare beforehand which is probably the best way to do it or get someone else to to snare first, The issue with this is now the ability gets very clunky. Shadowstep also jumps infront of someone rather then on top of someone like pounce, so if you try to shadowstep up to someone on a keep then expect to hit the wall.
Starting a fight with shadowstep
Spoiler:
Starting a fight in skirmish for the snare works best for this giving shadowstep about a 3.5s cast time. However once you're already in the fight you can no longer do the same thing reason being that switching from assault to skirmish will add the 5s and take down will take about 2s so then you're stuck.

You can cast shadowstep with about a 5s cast time this way although the ability to do ranged damage for 3's so about 2 spiral arrows, by the time you do all this your snare will have 5's left maybe 4s on the target. Takedown also has the possibility in being dodged which most healers are going to be running a moderate amount of and also the snare works as an Ailiment so if your enemy has a good DoK or Shaman player they will cleanse it so i suggest you mask it with broadhead arrow
As this ability currently stands i think its a poor choice for a gap closer, I've had times where walking or sprinting to my target is faster and other SW's can agree. This ability was worth all these downsides when it had the 50% armor pen but that was really op.

SW already has a lot of damage so i would spec fairly defensively in assault you only have like 100 toughness, so a toughness debuff and your at 0 and your armor wont hold up against WE's too well so you want a decent amount of parry.

To find a good renown setup you really just gotta play and figure out your issues and then renown spec around that, getting hit by to many sorcs and ranged? go for dodge/disrupt. dying in melee to fast? get futile+parry.

I would spec like this for starters. if you have much renown i would go crit first, then futile, then the other defensives.
http://waronlinebuilder.org/#renown;000 ... 3000000000

Here is mastery setup. You're always going to want to have heal debuff, however if you have an ally using it then maybe opt for getting No Respite in the middle tree and glass arrow on the left.
http://www.ror.builders/career/shadow-w ... ,3948,3961

Here is also a video of me using the ability day 1
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Very informative.

Orontes

Post#7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:27 am

Foomy44 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm
Orontes wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm I see lots of big bouncy squigs about since the patch changes. I think it's great to see the changes made to that class. It doesn't seem to me that the new Assault SW is seeing as much attention.
FTR assault SW had it's rework many patches ago and has seen multiple tweaks since. I'm pretty sure stabbity tree went over a year without a single buff. Can't focus on everything every patch, everyone gets their turn eventually.
I play on the destroy side by and large. My comment about the new Assault SW not seeing much attention refers to my not having seen any out and about. I don't recall in scens. or in RvR this ability ever being used against me. So, I was curious.

lefze
Suspended

Post#8 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:05 am

It started out as a mandatory damage steroid that was hilariously broken, and ended up as something I would rather not take. The gap closer part of it is fine at best, and overall when in the thick of it swift strikes is just more useful as you can engage (assuming you have a nearby target), stick to a target and escape with it, and it's also a great tool for procing stuff like Conq fast.

You can take both at the cost of the KD, but meh. I don't see it as a worthwhile investment, really don't need the added avoidance from it either.
Rip Phalanx

Ads