Recent Topics

Ads

[Kotbs Vs SM]New Player

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Talvarik

[Kotbs Vs SM]New Player

Post#1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:22 am

Just curious about them compared. I've got a 20 SM and i'm enjoying it very much i'm just wondering where one shines and one falls short and vice versa. Thanks everyone!

Ads
dansari

Re: [Kotbs Vs SM]New Player

Post#2 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:20 am

Knight - best overall tank given the viability of multiple specs

SM - likely best DPS tank but struggles a bit with cc and utility in rvr.
<Salt Factory>

MayoDaen78

Post#3 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:14 pm

I don't play KotBS, but seeing them in rvr and sc, they are probably the best well rounded tank in terms of cc and utilities, both 2h and SnB can stand their ground quite well in the front line. I play SM - and Imo, this class probably have better and higher dps output and is quite good as an offtank/assist. They can deal some nice damage even to heavy armor class, since their attack are mainly spirit based, and they have Heavens Blade enchantment and Wrath of Hoeth ( both are spirit debuff and they do stacks if I am not mistaken), so pretty much bypassing armor and only mitigated by your opponents spiritual resistance and toughness. SM however has less cc and utility that can benefit the group compared to KotBS
Ezraim - SM 7x
Tessaline - WP 5x
Binary - BW 6x

oaliaen

Post#4 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Go WL...he can be ranged, tank and dps.

peterthepan3

Post#5 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:20 pm

kotbs - best overall utility tank
SM - best dps tank
IB - bit of both, more defensive than SM more damage than KOTBS

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#6 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:39 pm

IB=best looking tank, but harder to play optimally.

SM and Knight are relatively easy to play; SM is harder IMO because a knight can just put on guard, auras and aoe snare and be pretty damn useful still, while SM at least has to pretend he is doing something in between Ether Dance channels :p

Seriously though, all 3 Order tanks IMO are pretty fun and useful. IB is the least "viable" I guess, but IMO also the most solo/pug friendly
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

zgolec

Post#7 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:32 pm

As someone yday on /ad said " IB is aweaome, specially if you want to start career as piano player and need practice with all your fingers" :)
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

Valarion

Post#8 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:32 am

oaliaen wrote:Go WL...he can be ranged, tank and dps.
I laughed for a moment because I knew you were joking.

Then I paused and reread what you said.

Then I read it again.

Then I got angry because I realized you werent joking at all
80+ WP/Dok/RP/Zealot 60+ AM/Shaman/Knight/Chosen/SM/BO/BW/Sorc 40+WL/Eng. SW deleted

Ads
roadkillrobin

Post#9 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:16 pm

SM is more attack based. Almoast all utility comes from being able to attack and aid in dps preasure on target. 20% functionality or less in defensive situations

Kotbs, 80% functionallity in defensive situations, being able to attack gives some extra utillity.
(best class at what it does in the game)

IB is well rounded, still needs to get some attacks in to functional properly but durations of buff last long enough to be able to switch between defence and aggresive. Reading the combat flow is very important which makes the class more complex to play to it's full potential.

Dabbart

Post#10 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Both classes are fun. Both have access to 2 Interrupts, but SM has to spec for them. Imo, Interrupts and Guard are the 2 most important functions of a tank. Having 2 interrupts, can be huge if used properly.

Knight can be very versatile and is generally newbie friendly. Guard swapping can be difficult enough to learn. Knights let you focus on CC, interrupts, and protection while basically ignoring damage if you want to and focus on pure survivability, and still be a workhorse. Your Aura's make your job pretty easy though. You can do a decent amount of damage, but imo, your main focus is on AoE snares, buff/debuffing, effective CCing(KDs, Super Punts, Stagger), Interrupts(stopping that rezz mid cast and breaking group heal chains/dps rotations) and guard swapping. Perform these well and your group will love you. Just don't fall into the trap of wasting GcDs on stacking Blazing Blade, and you can find a few different specs for Knight that are all fun, 2H or SnB. Sure Knights can do some respectable DPS if speced and geared for it. But if that is your end goal, I suggest a SM.

SMs have more damage utility, M2 pounce, and the stance dancing is pretty intuitive once you get used to it. Far more prevalent to use a 2H, but SnB can be tanky AF. I hated trying to solo tank as a SM, though I don't have a ton of experience with it. Lots of fun as a second tank, WW basically lets you be the timer, and Pouncing is more fun than it first seems. You can also become a MDPS if you want. Just don't imitate Chinesehero and smash your W key. SMs can be quite tanky, and can function as a main tank. But if you want something that can be nigh-unkillable, I suggest a Knight.

At the end of the day, doing DPS as a tank is great. But utility, CC, and protection are what you are there for. Take the time to learn cast animations. Don't feel like you have to spam you hotbars to get each ability in ASAP. Focus on positioning, interfering with your opponent, and supporting your groupmates. That's how I play them anyways.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.