Recent Topics

Ads

[SM] tanking skills

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
dansari

Re: [SM] tanking skills

Post#11 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Karisanna has a lot of respect from me and his word should be taken as sound advice. I've learned that playing my SW is very linear (dot, basic attack, and basically rkd, slow, group ap increase and VoN when needed). Stance dancing is its own world and takes getting used to, but basically that's the gist of it. SM, on the other hand, is a whole different beast. I'm normally in groups so I'm specced for WW (it really is just a great group ability), so the regular thought process i have is:

Am I guarding the right target and am I close enough for guard? (GES and Enemy are good for this)
Is my challenge up?
Is my WW up?
Is my Crashing Wave available?
Who should I knockdown?
Oh yeah.. Taunt increases damage I should use that.
Am I using shatter?
Oh God guard guard GUARD
Wait.. Blurring Shock or Dazzling Strike on this guy?
WHAT STANCE AM I IN?
Challenge you fool!
Oh fu I'm getting focused.. WODS and run!
Oh yeah.. Sudden Shift.. don't need that basic stance ability..
Winds is up!
"Sorry I was late on guard"
Whyyyy am I not taunting? I'm a scrub.

Scenario over. I need a drink.
<Salt Factory>

Ads
Darosh
Banned

Post#12 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:57 pm

dansari wrote:
Spoiler:
Karisanna has a lot of respect from me and his word should be taken as sound advice. I've learned that playing my SW is very linear (dot, basic attack, and basically rkd, slow, group ap increase and VoN when needed). Stance dancing is its own world and takes getting used to, but basically that's the gist of it. SM, on the other hand, is a whole different beast. I'm normally in groups so I'm specced for WW (it really is just a great group ability), so the regular thought process i have is:

Am I guarding the right target and am I close enough for guard? (GES and Enemy are good for this)
Is my challenge up?
Is my WW up?
Who should I knockdown?
Am I using shatter?
Oh God guard guard GUARD
WHAT STANCE AM I IN?
Challenge you fool!
Winds is up!

-50pts for Slytherin, you lack the "Why the **** does mdps xyz charge in all the **** time!?", "Where the **** is everyone!?", "Why are you not assisting each other!?" - "WHY IN GODS NAME IS THIS RP TRYING TO CLUB PEOPLE WITH HIS STAFF!?"

Abbd.: Gotta be more realistic if you wanna teach new players the ropes. :lol:

Martok

Post#13 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:12 pm

dansari wrote:Karisanna has a lot of respect from me and his word should be taken as sound advice.
Thanks, Dan, I appreciate the support. For the record Dansair is one of those Shadow Warrior players I will guard-bot because he is very good at his class. He is featured in one of my earlier videos if any SW player wants a few pointers.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Daknallbomb
Game Artist

Post#14 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:25 pm

dansari wrote:Karisanna has a lot of respect from me and his word should be taken as sound advice. I've learned that playing my SW is very linear (dot, basic attack, and basically rkd, slow, group ap increase and VoN when needed). Stance dancing is its own world and takes getting used to, but basically that's the gist of it. SM, on the other hand, is a whole different beast. I'm normally in groups so I'm specced for WW (it really is just a great group ability), so the regular thought process i have is:

Is my challenge up?
Is my WW up?
Who should I knockdown?
Am I using shatter?
Oh God guard guard GUARD
WHAT STANCE AM I IN?
Challenge you fool!
Winds is up!

Hmm looks like sm is a lot of fun :) mayb i try nice advise bzw
Tinkabell 40/41 Magus Whaagit 40/41 SH Whaagot 40/54 BO Daknallfrosch 40/72shammy

Atropik

Post#15 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Hmm.. look what we have here, a guide about sms defensive abilities, hope ts will use some of them, and not only wods faceroll all the time xd well done then.
Nicelook | Obey

anarchypark

Post#16 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:19 pm

lol whining even in forum cuz assassin class can't kill tank fast enough?
well you and i both need more english skill to debate.
let's keep this for tank role thread.
positioning and guard tip is coming.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Paxsanarion

Post#17 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:07 pm

Thank you everyone for this excellent read, as a newbie Swordmaster I found it facinating. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to explain not only the processes but their thoughts on why those processes are used and when. I also got a chuckle or two :-) Great stuff! *salutes*

Aethilmar

Post#18 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:49 pm

I was reading through this partial necro and didn't see much love/info about the cousin of the Swordmaster - the Shieldmaster. :P

Redirected Force: Not as good as the fabled BG super-punt but pretty damned good and usually available when you need it even with the block requirement. Will certainly separate a tank from his guard long enough to get a kill.

Crushing Advance: Somewhat clumsy to use but AOE interrupt plus armor and block buff (which makes punt even more available) ... yes please.

Also you don't need the other tank in your group to guard you. :P

Ads
Paxsanarion

Post#19 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:05 pm

Aethilmar wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:49 pm I was reading through this partial necro and didn't see much love/info about the cousin of the Swordmaster - the Shieldmaster. :P

Redirected Force: Not as good as the fabled BG super-punt but pretty damned good and usually available when you need it even with the block requirement. Will certainly separate a tank from his guard long enough to get a kill.

Crushing Advance: Somewhat clumsy to use but AOE interrupt plus armor and block buff (which makes punt even more available) ... yes please.

Also you don't need the other tank in your group to guard you. :P
After a great deal of forum / guide reading and finding some wonderful build advice, I have settled on playing a Shieldmaster as I progress to 40. :-)

Rekkerr

Post#20 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:36 pm

" Gusting Wind is primarily an interrupt. Sure, one can have fun knocking people off a bridge or over a cliff into the lava lakes, but I primarily use it to stop someone from doing something they are in the middle of doing. Admittedly at times I make mistakes with it, but of all the knock-backs in game Gusting Wind is, to the best of my knowledge, the weakest of any class, and therefore it is best to use it as an interrupt as opposed to an instant. "

Taunt is a better option for interrupt