Recent Topics

Ads

WL worth it currently?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Sevinn11

WL worth it currently?

Post#1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:56 am

Hi guys,

I've been trying to figure out what class to main as when my friends and I start up in a couple of weeks. 2 of the 4 want to play Order and my other friend with me are indifferent. We played Destro on Live when it launched, and got to end game for a couple of months before we left. We'd come back once in a while and play T1 SC's.

Any ways, I played a Marauder then and really enjoyed the "brawler MDPS", but I quite dislike pet classes (WL). I find the class has interesting lore and decent art. Just that pet mechanic has never really been reliable, and I dislike pets in mmo's in general. I have played WL before with success in lower tiers, and was wondering if the Loner Tactic really makes a big difference? Maybe I should play something else, but I really am best suited to the brawler type classes. Slayer's not an option as I do not care for the dwarfs.

Perhaps I should just raise the white flag and return to my dark roots?

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome,

glad to be back!

Ads
peterthepan3

Re: WL worth it currently?

Post#2 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:04 am

white lion is very very good in capable hands. more burst than a mara, less sustained, but makes up for it in mobility. pet dies relatively easily but you can make up for that with revenge.

if you decide to go wl ensure you download loyalpet addon.

Sevinn11

Post#3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:10 am

peterthepan3 wrote:white lion is very very good in capable hands. more burst than a mara, less sustained, but makes up for it in mobility. pet dies relatively easily but you can make up for that with revenge.

if you decide to go wl ensure you download loyalpet addon.
I will give that addon a try if I go WL. The description you gave of it seems pretty attractive to me. I've looked at the skills and they hit much harder with a higher AP cost than the Mara's. With not much CC I suppose the extra mobility makes up for it.

Would you say Loner is viable? I'd be slotting it ASAP

Sizer

Post#4 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:02 am

You can do just fine as a loner wl. Find a slayer or wh to assist off, spam pounce and your armor debuff, and you can kill just about anything. Its just boring, and you lose access to one of the best melee burst abilities in game (coordinated strike) as well as all of your cc.

EIther do that or just roll a wh. I guess they arent as much of a "brawler" as a wl or mara, but honestly, it doesnt really matter, the difference from light to medium armor comes out to like .1 seconds longer you'll live under focus fire, and that way you wont be missing out on half of a class because you dont like pets.
Aenea - SW / Aeneaa - AM
Sizer - Shaman / Artsupplies - Sorc

ToXoS

Post#5 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:18 am

WL pet is very unique actually. It's nothing like SH pets or magus/engie pets. I guess that's because it's a melee pet, but it's enjoyable even if you're not into pets (to me at least).

mickeye

Post#6 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:17 am

I remember that in early days of WAR Loner was more than viable, but that was with bugged Tearing Blade tactic. Right now I wouldn't suggest Loner. It's boring and Coordinated Strike with Pack Synergy gets things done faster and better. Besides, you're loosing your only CC, Fetch! and Throat Bite.
Fionne WL | Burlok > Karak Eight Peaks > Eltharion > Karak Azgal > Karak Norn

Bretin

Post#7 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:49 am

Sizer wrote:You can do just fine as a loner wl.
make sure to add "useless" somehow to your last name if you follow this advice.

On topic: WL is in a great spot. Get used to the pet and you are gucci. He has the highest ST damage in the game and is mandatory for the BiS order setup while he is also great for soloing.
So nevermind what your goal in this game is i think playing a WL is always a great idea just not with a loner build as the pet is your bread and butter. Revenge can make up during the downtime but hands down the pet is responsible for way more damage than any of those tactics. In a 6vs6 it is very likely that your pet will be focussed but in pug sc's it's alive 99% of the time if you pay attention. As i assume you won't join the 6vs6 stuff too fast just don't give a dang on these 2 tactics and l2p the class including pet handling.

roadkillrobin

Post#8 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:57 am

You can run Loner spec if you really dont mind not running a fotm spec. I know it blows the mind of some of the fotm guilds here. But its possible. And one of the best WL i evee seen Bregon ran it consistantly on live. However Loner build is primary used for the very flawed WL AoE bomb spec.

Ads
mickeye

Post#9 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 am

roadkillrobin wrote:And one of the best WL i evee seen Bregon ran it consistantly on live.
That's actually not true, Bregon played without pet as much as with pet. After AA haste changes I don't recall seeing him in Loner spec.

The Loner has its time when it was an actual FOTM. Old Tearing Blade stacking. Pack Synergy and Loner working together when your pet died. Old AA haste with Akure and raw power.

Also I don't get your comment regarding FOTM. Playing pet class with pet is FOTM? Orly?
Fionne WL | Burlok > Karak Eight Peaks > Eltharion > Karak Azgal > Karak Norn

Bretin

Post#10 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:18 am

mickeye wrote:Also I don't get your comment regarding FOTM.
blatant troll attempt, don't know why you even bother responding this guy. first he "confirmed" the opinion regarding loner to then change his post into an actual sideflame towards the "fotm" - elitist 6 man - player who always received love like this on the forum