Recent Topics

Ads

[WP] Shield WP in oRvR

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
abezverkhiy

[WP] Shield WP in oRvR

Post#1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:46 pm

Hey guys,

I came across this thread about shield DoKs and I was surprised to see a discussion instead of usual stuff 'they are not viable etc'. viewtopic.php?f=73&t=45452

So how do shield WPs survive in rvr? Can they be good? What are the challenges? Strengths, if any? Did they get any better lately because of some patch? Is there future for them?

P.S. Rydiak no disrespect but please refrain from posting a link to your guide of 2019. It is everywhere. Your deeper analysis would be welcome though.
KingSchultz WH, Valknutt WP, Glendhu ENG, Lochdhu IB, Tamdhu SL

My WH guide: viewtopic.php?t=46354

Ads
Mruvka

Re: [WP] Shield WP in oRvR

Post#2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:10 am

Hello!

How do Shield WPs do in oRvR?

1 or 2 Shield WPs are okay in an organized warband in oRvR. You will not get much love for them in a pug warband.

Can they be good?

They can be very powerful, but require lots of good gear to work properly.

What are the challenges?

Grind to get the gear (which you will probably achieve with a Salvation build), but still developing the skills to play a style that is very different from a healer.

Strengths?

Shield WP is probably the best build for a WP in ranked play and that is saying a lot. Not only do they heal outstandingly, but they also apply great damage pressure to help get kills.

Did they get better after a new patch?

Yes, the nerf to the Intimidating Repent tactic also came with a buff for Shield WPs and Wrath WPs, who no longer need the tactic.

Is there a future for them?

Definitely.
Titillation - 82 RR WL
Shibboleth - 81 RR WP
Mrun - 20 RR IB

Bloodmasked

Post#3 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:49 am

the challenge is basically you need a group that is coordinated and not just going to run away from fights, or else you will just get caught out and die since you are in frontlines, you also won't work in a ranged group since you can't do much heals without a melee target.

abezverkhiy

Post#4 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:21 am

Mruvka wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:10 am They can be very powerful, but require lots of good gear to work properly.
Hey bud thanks for the detailed response.

I have Sentinel set minus the relic and finishing my Gunbad unlock this week (I hope). So the only set I have access atm is Dominators which is playable but Sentinel will be better.

Speaking of jewelry I have 5 Genesis, full set. I guess there's not much to replace it with, right?

What 4th tactic would you suggest apart from Divine Fury, Fanaticism and lifetaps one? I cannot decide between Emperor's Ward and Endless Guilt.
Last edited by abezverkhiy on Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mruvka

Post#5 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:59 am

abezverkhiy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:21 am
Mruvka wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:10 am They can be very powerful, but require lots of good gear to work properly.
Hey bud thanks for the detailed response.

I have Sentinel set minus the relic and finishing my Gunbad unlock this week (I hope). So the only set I have access atm is Dominators which is playable but Sentinel will be better.

Speaking of jewelry I have 5 Genesis, full set. I guess there's not much to replace it with, right?

What 4th tactic would you suggest apart from Divine Fury, Fanaticism and lifetaps one? I cannot decide between Emperor's Ward and Absence of Faith.

I understand that you specifically mentioned that you are not interested in Rydiak's guide to Grace WP, but it has actually been updated fairly recently in May 2021 after the Intimidating Repent tactic change.

Link

Basically nothing has changed for WP since then and the answer to all your questions is in there. It is possibly the most in-depth guide on the forum and it goes far beyond the level of detail I can provide with my limited knowledge of Grace WP. Rydiak is easily one of the top WPs on the server, it would be foolish to disregard this opportunity to learn from a skilled veteran.
Titillation - 82 RR WL
Shibboleth - 81 RR WP
Mrun - 20 RR IB

abezverkhiy

Post#6 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:24 am

No, no, I did not mean to disrespect him. I read his guide of course but I wanted more, rather than "Here is a link to my guide" type of post. More interested in a practical discussion to know smth like how you handle RDPS. Or how to play smart in oRvR in general - build is only the beginning but in practice how do you overcome situations when you are kited, when you are fighting several enemies, are there good ability synergies etc

Ruin

Post#7 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:09 pm

Hello,

From what I can provide to players wanting to test this type of play, are some few tips coming from my playtime with this spec
For Gear a good start now would be a mix of Beastlord with Sentinel or the new set Vale Walker just to get the notion of haw the gameplay looks like.
Second player should consider their targeting, how easy it is for you to target self and others ally and enemies. Also remember heals can affect players outside of your LoS, example could be attacking enemy lord while healing people who defend bottom floor.
Third is your support, kitters will most likely kill you, so you need to think haw can Grace WP reach the enemy, the easiest way is help from other players.
End the forth thing is not to get to focused on defensive stats, remember you still need to do damage to provide decent heals.

Scottx125

Post#8 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:19 pm

It's a tricky thing to balance. You've gotta be tanky enough to survive yet do decent dmg to heal. I honestly don't think there's any realistic way to build a Grace tank. It's just not possible with the stats you have. I think you've just gotta be able to delay your death until either your side wins or loses.

With that said this is my stat priority:
STR~ 700.
WOU ~ 9.5k. <- Need it to delay death.
Armour 3.3k at least.
WS / TOU as close to 400 as possible.

Then I build my evasion and crit chance. 40-50% block, 30-40% crit chance.

Tactics will be improving your healing or making you more tanky. So Divine Fury, Fanaticism, Grace of Sigmar and Leading the Prayer. Leading the Prayer is vital because it's going to provide you with constant healing, even if you get knocked down.

Your main abilities will be:
-Sigmars Radiance - Bread and Butter heal.
- Divine Strike - Armoured target heal / outside group heal.
- Divine Assault - Your emergency heal / off dmg when low AP.
- Sacrifice - Amazing heal but damages you, large health pool helps here but use it wisely.
- Sigmar's Fist - 100 extra STR to get you to 800 STR.
- Wound buff - Get's you to 10k HP.
- Sigmar's Vision - 10% parry + 10% block chance, use off cooldown.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Ads
Bloodmasked

Post#9 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:10 pm

abezverkhiy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:24 am No, no, I did not mean to disrespect him. I read his guide of course but I wanted more, rather than "Here is a link to my guide" type of post. More interested in a practical discussion to know smth like how you handle RDPS. Or how to play smart in oRvR in general - build is only the beginning but in practice how do you overcome situations when you are kited, when you are fighting several enemies, are there good ability synergies etc
theres alot of things i could say having played shield dok for a while. but mainly just try to have good habits and then you will just get better over time. habits like making the most of all of your abilities. you can get away with not having Divine Aid, Divine Mend and Touch of the Divine on the hotbar while your shield but ideally just put them on some keys you don't press much because if you don't have a second healer there are times you actually need to use them although rare. definitely have everything else on the hotbar and always be looking to detaunt or top up your career resource with supplication. another thing you will want to do fairly often is 'flee' both to not only escape, but also to chase enemies because shield dok has no charge like other melee do. when you do that you will need to ap pot, and then be careful because you will have limited ap so play wisely. other habits that are important is always having ap pot and hp pot, use armor pot. as shield you will also want to get good at assisting, because the extra damage you provide is useless unless its being focused on the same target as actual dps are hitting, and therefore you help to secure kills.

Bloodmasked

Post#10 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:12 pm

Scottx125 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:19 pm It's a tricky thing to balance. You've gotta be tanky enough to survive yet do decent dmg to heal. I honestly don't think there's any realistic way to build a Grace tank. It's just not possible with the stats you have. I think you've just gotta be able to delay your death until either your side wins or loses.

With that said this is my stat priority:
STR~ 700.
WOU ~ 9.5k. <- Need it to delay death.
Armour 3.3k at least.
WS / TOU as close to 400 as possible.

Then I build my evasion and crit chance. 40-50% block, 30-40% crit chance.

Tactics will be improving your healing or making you more tanky. So Divine Fury, Fanaticism, Grace of Sigmar and Leading the Prayer. Leading the Prayer is vital because it's going to provide you with constant healing, even if you get knocked down.

Your main abilities will be:
-Sigmars Radiance - Bread and Butter heal.
- Divine Strike - Armoured target heal / outside group heal.
- Divine Assault - Your emergency heal / off dmg when low AP.
- Sacrifice - Amazing heal but damages you, large health pool helps here but use it wisely.
- Sigmar's Fist - 100 extra STR to get you to 800 STR.
- Wound buff - Get's you to 10k HP.
- Sigmar's Vision - 10% parry + 10% block chance, use off cooldown.
theres zero point going for weapon skill as shield spec, your abilities are both physical and spirit damage