Recent Topics

Ads

WH newbie looking for a beginner guide

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
phoramix87

WH newbie looking for a beginner guide

Post#1 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Would be ideal for a casual player like to to roll a wh as i tend to play alone and gank somewhere.
I am totally newbie to the class. Some basic question for the wh out there:

1) How is it the class at this state of the game? Hard to get the kills? Should we avoid healers/tanks?
2) What's the easiest way to spec for lvling?
3) Must have addons?

Any kind of guide will be rly appreciated
Thanks for the help :)

Ads
Auzor

Re: WH newbie looking for a beginner guide

Post#2 » Sun May 23, 2021 10:31 pm

I am new myself, so take everything I say with some pinches of salt.

1) I think the class is indeed, 'optimal' for solo, or small scale. I don't think I've ever seen a warband trying to find a bunch of WH for some build (though: Dragun Gun, AoE Morale drain). In terms of Melee DPS, for group play, that puts it below WL or (perhaps especially so for AoE) Slayer. At the small scale, I think it can do quite well. Note that in large scale, there can be more cleanses happening, so the more you gravitate towards larger scale, the less interesting DoT builds may become.
For solo, they can imo be very valid otoh (pick your fights). Hard to get the kills: it depends; know what you're fighting etc. Avoid healers: on the contrary imo, appearing out of stealth & whacking a(n unsuspecting) healer over the head, should imo be one of the WH's core roles. See also 'blessed bullets of confession' for -50% heals, and either sudden accusation or fanatical zeal.
Tanks: should be lower on your priority imo.

2)
Path of judgement bottom 2 tactics have an 'interesting' interaction. +25% crit chance on your Absolution execute, and +50% crit damage to ALL your crits? That +50% crit damage tactic deserves consideration in any end-game build too. Sanctified oil can be used to try to escape, or to help closing a gap (go-go gadget legs!).
For PvE I do like DoTs in principle.
Really though, I think it's best to level in the tree that you're interested in. Finishing mastery levelling is after all, not the end point.
You could take 'sanctified oil' & 'fanatical cleansing' in the third tree, and then continue in the 1st...
+50% crit damage with 'Trial by Pain' combo is still nice I think.

3) no clue

MagnarBuckethead

Post#3 » Tue May 25, 2021 9:29 am

1) the WH in Solo Target groups is very viable. Using exit wounds and Punish the False in the Inquisition (middle) tree can turn the WH into a scary healer killer, but he does need support.
WH can solo very well, but I am not a fan of this aspect of the class.
In WB plays, its either you are in the solo target party
Or you are taking a bit of an ungrateful job, which is frontline support, healing debuff, armor debuff and morale pumping. It is a role I personally love, and with the right setup you can do miracles for your guild/organised WB.
In Scenarios, your class is desirable since you can reach the highest ST damage of any order class.

2) Skills first, its better to now what to use in which situation honestly, before considering builds.

(exit wounds: debuff targets that are tough, like turn tanks into paper walls or healers into fragile things, a 200 stat debuff in a lot of different stats is A LOT)
DO NOT USE FERVOR, it is really far from being the best opener)
Opener of choice: Torment (and strike from behind), if Blessed Blade is active --> razor strike.
Burn heretic is a good finisher in any situation!
I would avoid Burn Away Lies in group stuff, since it is basically a burst with a timer. You are announcing with a megaphone "attention destro party, I am leaving a dps bomb on that healer that you should be cleansing !" . it does work better when you are just solo roaming around in RvR.
Dragongun is a marvel in large scale fights, avoid it in scenarios as ST builds might be better. Also: Dragongun spreads the effect of your currently equipped bullet ! So you can spread Bullets of Confession by aiming at the backline, the 50% outgoing healing debuff will spread to other healers !
I usually take Blessed Blades tactic over Fanatical cleansing, to me a flat +50% armor pen is superior to +50 crit damage, but I am using a defensive build, so it works better since I have lover crit chance.
Shroud of magnus, Confusing movements make you virtually invincible for 5 seconds overall (different duration between the two)
Sanctified Oil is godlike, use it to REPOSITION and reapply Burn armor rather than running away.
Burn Armor is a blessing from Sigmar, pitiful AoE damage, but it puts a massive Armor debuff on all stroke targets for a 15 sec duration. The armor debuff value increases the more spec points you spend in the left tree. You can reach something like 2100 armor debuff, and even more with the proc of the WIT pistol (10% chance to reduce armor by 800 for 6 secs, works on dragongun!)

Now Build wise.
It depends a lot.
I am usually in the mentality : "you cannot do damage if you die" so I mostly run defensie builds (righteous steel, close combat, riposte sometimes and sanctified bullets if i want to reduce the stress on my healers).
and I put Futile strike to 15% (reduced chances to be critted) and maximise parry/disrupt/dodge
combine it with repel blasphemy and shroud of magnus and you can stay alive pretty well
Why putting more on defense on the expand of offense?
Because as A Dragongun WH main, I need to be alive to keep applying debuffs and boosting my WB and party morale, hence why I focus on defense.
Gear wise, I pick a mix of def and off stats.

For ST, go Judgement and inquisition (main for exit wounds and punish the false). Pistol whip is a strong stun!
You WILL need a guild or a dedicated group if you want to play dragongun, it is best set up with a few other pumpers or classes with very strong m3 and m4 skills
Go offense stats

For Renown: PUT AT LEAST 3 POINTS IN FUTILE STRIKE !!!!
For real ! Otherwise you will get oneshotted by random crits very often !
Stat wise: look for strengh, wounds, initiative
Talisman: look for wounds/armor talis, maybe strengh for your weapons.
(brute force is a good way to compensate your lack of strenght)

3)
Nerfed button (but you will have to build your own sequence)
Viny UI (must have)
Combat Text
CCTV
BuffHead
a bit of this a bit of that

abezverkhiy

Post#4 » Tue May 25, 2021 10:41 am

phoramix87 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:10 pm Would be ideal for a casual player like to to roll a wh as i tend to play alone and gank somewhere.
I am totally newbie to the class. Some basic question for the wh out there:

1) How is it the class at this state of the game? Hard to get the kills? Should we avoid healers/tanks?
2) What's the easiest way to spec for lvling?
3) Must have addons?
1) Not bad but it is not an easy class to play comparing to Knight, Warrior Priest or Slayer. Requires good understanding of the battlefield. As a tank or WP I have some margin of error, as WH my margin of error is virtually zero. One of my addons Aura tells me when I am at 50% of health. This should tell you how quick you can be dead. Speaking of kills... It is OK when you play in lower tiers but it is relatively hard while you are low on gear in T4. But come RR65+ and it will be easier. Plus do not forget - unlike other classes you can choose your fights. Stay hidden if you think this opponent can be too hard for you. You should not avoid healers and tanks if you know there is no gear gap. You can't judge about skill gap but you can learn the appearance of Sovereign gear and depending on your build you can decide if you want to attack them. For instance I have no second thoughts when I see 2h BOs or zealots but I am always careful about shamans and chosens.

2) Try everything. Confession is probably the easiest but try them all, start studying your class in lower tiers there will be less room for error in t4.

3) Some veeeeeeery skilled forum gurus claim that addons are for losers but what do they know, half of them play real complex classes like SHs or chosens so do not listen to them. We wage war and it is not about fairplay. This is a fact not a pep talk. Plenty of your enemies would be using same addons so why give them an unfair advantage? For addons I use VinyUI (useful to rearrange interface), Aura (can tell you in a convenient manner like a message or screen shaking etc when stealth is ready, health is low, certain buffs/debuffs are on/off, 5 combopoints are ready etc), Nerfed Buttons (useful to program sequences for different situations eg I have a sequence against healers and a sequence against others), DB2 (counts your deadly blows and tells you true story what classes are easy/difficult for you), Enemy (damage statistics is useful when choosing builds). Other addons mentioned already are probably useful too but I do not have them.

You can PM my WH ingame, I am always happy to play in a group with other WHs. You only need to be higher than 16 level to be able to play in T2-T4. I mostly play on weekends.

Good luck:)
KingSchultz WH, Valknutt WP, Glendhu ENG, Lochdhu IB, Tamdhu SL

My WH guide: viewtopic.php?t=46354