Recent Topics

Ads

[KotBS] Builds

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Ototo

Re: [KotBS] Builds

Post#11 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:26 am

Block is nice and so, but it only works in the frontal arc, so investments in Futile Strikes are more relevant and will make you more durable than simply stacking block. Let's not forget also that FS works even when you are CCed, and I'm looking at you, zealot players.

There are some other things that I would add, but instead gonna point out:
* Stacking points in the Glory tree to increase what? It's a nonsense and Focused Mending will always boost the same % no matter how many points you spend. Don't even try to tell me that is cause of the increased power of the aura, cause it's meaningless compared with any of the other choices missing there.
* No Escape instead of Raze is a HUGE mistake that will place your entire warband in danger during morale bombs.
* Picking the 2 tactics that you slotted and forcing Rugged later you are restricted to one tactic slot, and you still need to slot at least 2 tactics to be of use. If you seriously think that having only 1/2 of the time your top defenses will be less useful than 5% healing crit, you are delusional or crossed the line of level 40/40 way too much time ago to even remember. Dirty Tricks is not that good, and places the burden of a suboptimal healing or DPS spec in the tactics of the tank, that has to give away part of its survivability for it. I know this ****: Healer and tank are by far my 2 most played archetypes. If you think everyone else build is trash, you can slot it.
* Let's not forget that you also added Gilded Shield, so zero tactic slots.
* In nearly every possible situation, your healers are better if you run Bellow Commands and give then extra AP so they can heal more comfortably.
* In the same line, Banish Darkness is a ton more useful for DPS, allowing you to punt away the guard bot and do full damage to your target, or punting away healers out of the healing range.
* In the moments that those 2 are not the best pick, Sun Blessing is a lot more powerful and will allow you to stay alive CCing and supporting with your guard for more time.
* Now's Our Chance is trash except in Forts. In every other situation, if you are in range of a caster class for it to take effect, the caster is not casting anything but moving and using instant casts. It's a very rare occurrence that a caster ignores an aura tank. It's suicidal, and I know what I speak of. In Forts it's a completely different story, and more often than not a game changing debuff.
Spoiler:

Ads
Skag84

Post#12 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:13 pm

Ototo wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:26 am Block is nice and so, but it only works in the frontal arc, so investments in Futile Strikes are more relevant and will make you more durable than simply stacking block. Let's not forget also that FS works even when you are CCed, and I'm looking at you, zealot players.

* Stacking points in the Glory tree to increase what? It's a nonsense and Focused Mending will always boost the same % no matter how many points you spend. Don't even try to tell me that is cause of the increased power of the aura, cause it's meaningless compared with any of the other choices missing there.
* No Escape instead of Raze is a HUGE mistake that will place your entire warband in danger during morale bombs.
* Picking the 2 tactics that you slotted and forcing Rugged later you are restricted to one tactic slot, and you still need to slot at least 2 tactics to be of use. If you seriously think that having only 1/2 of the time your top defenses will be less useful than 5% healing crit, you are delusional or crossed the line of level 40/40 way too much time ago to even remember. Dirty Tricks is not that good, and places the burden of a suboptimal healing or DPS spec in the tactics of the tank, that has to give away part of its survivability for it. I know this ****: Healer and tank are by far my 2 most played archetypes. If you think everyone else build is trash, you can slot it.
* In nearly every possible situation, your healers are better if you run Bellow Commands and give then extra AP so they can heal more comfortably.
* In the same line, Banish Darkness is a ton more useful for DPS, allowing you to punt away the guard bot and do full damage to your target, or punting away healers out of the healing range.
* In the moments that those 2 are not the best pick, Sun Blessing is a lot more powerful and will allow you to stay alive CCing and supporting with your guard for more time.
* Now's Our Chance is trash except in Forts. In every other situation, if you are in range of a caster class for it to take effect, the caster is not casting anything but moving and using instant casts. It's a very rare occurrence that a caster ignores an aura tank. It's suicidal, and I know what I speak of. In Forts it's a completely different story, and more often than not a game changing debuff.
What do you recommend? Can you post a build for me that is what you would run with SnB? Also with 2H and at what level to run 2H?
[Guild Leader of Ruin]

synthrocker

Post#13 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:31 am

Ototo wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:26 am Block is nice and so, but it only works in the frontal arc, so investments in Futile Strikes are more relevant and will make you more durable than simply stacking block. Let's not forget also that FS works even when you are CCed, and I'm looking at you, zealot players.

Bellow commands is a self buff not a group buff... or the tool tip is worded wrong. There’s a aura for group AP regen
Birthday Massacre - Knight
Stunt Man - Witch Hunter
Wrx Sti - gimp slayer/butcher farmer
Ralliart Evolution - Real gimp Bright Wizard

Ototo

Post#14 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:35 am

synthrocker wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:31 am
Spoiler:

Bellow commands is a self buff not a group buff... or the tool tip is worded wrong. There’s a aura for group AP regen
I stand corrected. Thank you.
Spoiler:

Skag84

Post#15 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:02 pm

I was looking at something like this. What 3 auras would you all run? I am SnB.RoR.builders - Knight of the Blazing Sun
[Guild Leader of Ruin]

Ototo

Post#16 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm

Skag84 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:02 pm I was looking at something like this. What 3 auras would you all run? I am SnB.RoR.builders - Knight of the Blazing Sun
Looks nice. As I said in my previous post, get ready to respec a lot. Coordination is great, but is an active buff, meaning that you have to hit someone with shield rush, and that occurrence tends to be a problem in turtle defense situations, like Forts. If you are aiming for a more generic build that you don't need to change, I think that this semi-turtle SnB build can work nicely, maybe slotting Glided Shield instead of Banish Darkness or Sun Blessing. Even for Focused Mending, cause in the end there are not that many healing-heavy situations that will find you far from a Career Trainer (there is one in each Keep and Fort of the game), so you can respec fast in them to get the tactic back, or maybe simply keeping it unslotted and changing tactics in the run. In open fights, Banish Darkness and Sun Blessing are very good tactics that can and will kill carefree DPSs, either by punting their guard or by smashing you to their death. Shield of the Sun + Perseverance + Vigilance + On your Guard! = some serious mirror damage.

Auras are not set on stone. Running Press the Attack! when you are the only mele class of your party is nearly useless, in example, but can be useful if the enemy has a lot of meles to debuff them. That being said, Gather your Resolve! and Stand Strong! are very useful in nearly every possible situation. For the 3rd I switch depending in the situation, and the enemy composition. If they are heavy in magic and low in mele, you can change Stand Strong! and press a bit their second line with Now's Our Chance!, but keep in mind that your duty is frontline and that you need to keep the team up and healthy. On the other hand, Gather your Resolve! is not very useful in mele heavy situations and you are probably better running On your Guard! and Stand Strong!. Tank is a role of situational awareness, just that. Auras are a huge help towards it placing passives in people.

Maybe the main trouble that you have noticed so far is that KotBS is a mele tank mainly. It performs and stays alive longer in situations with less magic damage spells flying around. Given that the engineer mirror is also a mage, this hits performance a bit. Even with Glided Shield, you are short of defenses for non-physical attacks, being pretty much Vigilance the only way to go here when you're under heavy magic caster pressure.

About your previous question for a 2h build, I can't honestly answer and that's why I didn't. I'm using the build I posted as swiss knife for me, but it clearly deals less damage than other tanks, and loses a lot of survivability for the increased damage of the claymore. I just pretty much have a second gear set ready to swamp along with the greatsword. Still underperforms, and I don't think that is viable without some serious group support and voice comms. Let's call 2h KotBS situational in the current state of the game and the class and move on. I would pick Swordmasters to use this play style.
Spoiler:

synthrocker

Post#17 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:23 pm

Ototo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm
Skag84 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:02 pm I was looking at something like this. What 3 auras would you all run? I am SnB.RoR.builders - Knight of the Blazing Sun
Looks nice. As I said in my previous post, get ready to respec a lot. Coordination is great, but is an active buff, meaning that you have to hit someone with shield rush, and that occurrence tends to be a problem in turtle defense situations, like Forts. If you are aiming for a more generic build that you don't need to change, I think that this semi-turtle SnB build can work nicely, maybe slotting Glided Shield instead of Banish Darkness or Sun Blessing. Even for Focused Mending, cause in the end there are not that many healing-heavy situations that will find you far from a Career Trainer (there is one in each Keep and Fort of the game), so you can respec fast in them to get the tactic back, or maybe simply keeping it unslotted and changing tactics in the run. In open fights, Banish Darkness and Sun Blessing are very good tactics that can and will kill carefree DPSs, either by punting their guard or by smashing you to their death. Shield of the Sun + Perseverance + Vigilance + On your Guard! = some serious mirror damage.

Auras are not set on stone. Running Press the Attack! when you are the only mele class of your party is nearly useless, in example, but can be useful if the enemy has a lot of meles to debuff them. That being said, Gather your Resolve! and Stand Strong! are very useful in nearly every possible situation. For the 3rd I switch depending in the situation, and the enemy composition. If they are heavy in magic and low in mele, you can change Stand Strong! and press a bit their second line with Now's Our Chance!, but keep in mind that your duty is frontline and that you need to keep the team up and healthy. On the other hand, Gather your Resolve! is not very useful in mele heavy situations and you are probably better running On your Guard! and Stand Strong!. Tank is a role of situational awareness, just that. Auras are a huge help towards it placing passives in people.

Maybe the main trouble that you have noticed so far is that KotBS is a mele tank mainly. It performs and stays alive longer in situations with less magic damage spells flying around. Given that the engineer mirror is also a mage, this hits performance a bit. Even with Glided Shield, you are short of defenses for non-physical attacks, being pretty much Vigilance the only way to go here when you're under heavy magic caster pressure.

About your previous question for a 2h build, I can't honestly answer and that's why I didn't. I'm using the build I posted as swiss knife for me, but it clearly deals less damage than other tanks, and loses a lot of survivability for the increased damage of the claymore. I just pretty much have a second gear set ready to swamp along with the greatsword. Still underperforms, and I don't think that is viable without some serious group support and voice comms. Let's call 2h KotBS situational in the current state of the game and the class and move on. I would pick Swordmasters to use this play style.

Problem with the STRA aura is if your mdps is using a STR pot (as they should) it won’t stack and unless you’re specced in the same tree as str aura, the str pot gives more str so it’s wasted. You’re better off running a different aura (if not specced in str aura)
Stunt Man - Witch Hunter

Ototo

Post#18 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:08 pm

synthrocker wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:23 pm
Spoiler:

Problem with the STRA aura is if your mdps is using a STR pot (as they should) it won’t stack and unless you’re specced in the same tree as str aura, the str pot gives more str so it’s wasted. You’re better off running a different aura (if not specced in str aura)
That's a very valid point that roots in the situational and support roles of tanks. May be still a good choice for debuff though, it just depends.

People tend to think that Engis and KotBS are the order easy mode classes, and they are kind of right, but they are also extremely deep classes that can exploit a lot more their potential than simply "slot 3 auras and run with them till log out" or "spam AoE and see numbers flying". IMO the aura mechanic is often underused and even barely understand. It's very powerful, if you adapt it to the flow of fight.

I think that SM are better offensive tanks cause you don't have to deal with the flow using n+1 buttons/clicks with cooldowns, but just with 3 balance mechanic buttons/clicks to adapt swiftly to the fight. A lot harder to learn to use a SM properly or even decently than a KotBS, but a million times tougher to master the use of KotBS over SM and IB. Being proficient in KotBS is relatively easy: run ST! GyR! and other aura, click Shield Rush and Shining Blade on cooldown, press Shatter Confidence when it's available, use guard and AoE taunt, knockdown glass cannon enemies, and use Hold the Line when you are doing nothing else. That's pretty much standard for all tanks except the Auras, and KotBS survives a lot more and better than other tanks if we go down to spam these basics. Master the class is an entire different story: setup a mirror reflect damage with OyG! and AOA! for the moment that you punt a guard bot, change auras on the go to disrupt the enemy team the most, punt correctly and in the right direction, taunt the right guys in the second line, press the healers on CCs, etc... in sum, have eyes everywhere in the line and use the info correctly. This is not easy, and requires both experience and skill. While SMs do this fighting, you need to take a bit of space with KotBS to do so, and that is very hard to do in the middle of a mele.
Spoiler:

Ads
synthrocker

Post#19 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:47 am

Ototo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:08 pm
synthrocker wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:23 pm
Spoiler:

That's a very valid point that roots in the situational and support roles of tanks. May be still a good choice for debuff though, it just depends.

People tend to think that Engis and KotBS are the order easy mode classes, and they are kind of right, but they are also extremely deep classes that can exploit a lot more their potential than simply "slot 3 auras and run with them till log out" or "spam AoE and see numbers flying". IMO the aura mechanic is often underused and even barely understand. It's very powerful, if you adapt it to the flow of fight.

I think that SM are better offensive tanks cause you don't have to deal with the flow using n+1 buttons/clicks with cooldowns, but just with 3 balance mechanic buttons/clicks to adapt swiftly to the fight. A lot harder to learn to use a SM properly or even decently than a KotBS, but a million times tougher to master the use of KotBS over SM and IB. Being proficient in KotBS is relatively easy: run ST! GyR! and other aura, click Shield Rush and Shining Blade on cooldown, press Shatter Confidence when it's available, use guard and AoE taunt, knockdown glass cannon enemies, and use Hold the Line when you are doing nothing else. That's pretty much standard for all tanks except the Auras, and KotBS survives a lot more and better than other tanks if we go down to spam these basics. Master the class is an entire different story: setup a mirror reflect damage with OyG! and AOA! for the moment that you punt a guard bot, change auras on the go to disrupt the enemy team the most, punt correctly and in the right direction, taunt the right guys in the second line, press the healers on CCs, etc... in sum, have eyes everywhere in the line and use the info correctly. This is not easy, and requires both experience and skill. While SMs do this fighting, you need to take a bit of space with KotBS to do so, and that is very hard to do in the middle of a mele.

Man, KOTBS is easy, you're trying to make it sound way over complicated. There are a few things you need to adapt to when in certain situations, but its one of the easiest tanks in the game, its literally nearly a set it and forget it mechanic, and you work your CC and guard switching in. Its not overly complicated and I enjoy that.

I will say though, people in general need to learn to punt in a proper direction =p
Stunt Man - Witch Hunter

synthrocker

Post#20 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:53 am

I will say HOWEVER. With the uneeded/stupid nerf to Runefang,Heal Aura, and Mighty Soul, Knights are kinda shoe horned into a SnB build for max utility and damage

Face it, reflect damage on a knight is the way to go- it might not light up the score boards but itll kill mdps -and you're not gonna kill anyone 2H with mighty soul.. specially taking 15% more damage, and no good proc of runefang. The 2H Wounds/crit tactic debuff is really the only good thing, kinda gimp yourself otherwise. Still the worst damage dealing class in the game, besides reflect damage. (Get that full invader reflect damage, even hits casters)

Come to think of it, weren't those nerfs just "tests"? So.. Revert them back now and look at the data and see it was not needed =p
Stunt Man - Witch Hunter