Recent Topics

Ads

[KOTBS] How much is too much?

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Warlogic
Posts: 15

[KOTBS] How much is too much?

Post#1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:06 pm

Armor, Toughness, Tough/Wounds ratio, Str...How much is too much for a snb tank? Where is the sweet spot?

For Armor: I obtained Keeper's 5 piece at 17 and slotted talismans across the board with other good blue and purple piece drops. I know a lot of stats get added due to bolster, but when I hovered over armor value in SC it told me I had -243.3% Physical Damage. From what I was told in /Advice, you can only mitigate a maximum of 75% damage from armor, and anything over that is to prevent "Ignores X% of armor abilities". Is this factored as 243.3% - 75% = 168.3%, so I'm more than doubly covered against 75% armor penetration abilities with that value? Or is this 243.3% x .25 = 60.825%, so I'd still be taking around 15% more damage than if they were to use a non-penetrating ability? Sorry if I'm way off here, just what I was told. How much armor or physical dmg reduction % should I optimally aim for at end game?

For Toughness: Can you ever have too much? What is the soft cap/hard cap, and what are the diminishing returns when approaching the hard cap?

Wounds vs Toughness: Is there a sweet spot? Should I hard cap tough, and put the rest in wounds? Should I focus the two stats evenly? Should I hit the soft cap with tough and put everything else into wounds? What's the optimal method here?

Strength: I know this is last in the line of importance on snb, but how much strength should I slot or try to achieve in comparison to other stats? What necessarily needs to be capped first before putting anything extra into strength for optimal min/maxing?

Again, this is all just spitballing trying to get an idea of what min/maxing should look like on a snb tank in this game. As always, I appreciate any and all info you guys can provide and I thank you for the wisdom in advance! :ugeek:
Solarfury - KotBS // Warlogic - WE
Aresenyo - BW // Warlogical - ZEA
Warlogy - WL // Moonfury - SORC
Anastass - AM // Warhulk - BO

Player Level: Huge noob

Ads
Flavorburst
Posts: 341

Re: [KOTBS] How much is too much?

Post#2 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:01 am

It's kinda of a pain to keep min/maxing up with bolster, but I feel that anything over 5kish armor is a bit much.

I think 10k is the sweet spot for HP (though some people get away with less), and once that is achieved, I would start dumping into toughness. You could probably start dumping into toughness around the 9k range, but I personally prefer to be in the 10k range for morale dumps.

I wouldn't worry about str outside of what is naturally on your gear. As s/s you are probably going to be spending a fair amount of time holding the line, so it just doesn't really matter that much. Just try to position yourself behind people for punts/snares/KDs and pray the server doesn't crap on you (spoiler alert: it will).

User avatar
Fey
Posts: 407

Re: [KOTBS] How much is too much?

Post#3 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:29 am

Don't completely ignore str. You will want your snare in particular to not get parried. You have to stick your guarded Target and won't always have the time to get into a rear position. I'd say 400 minimum 500 better. Deftard will only get you so far, at some point it's up to your heals.
Fley - Zealot Domoarigobbo - Shaman
Squid - Squig Squit - B.O.
Black Toof Clan

kuj0jotar0
Posts: 65

Re: [KOTBS] How much is too much?

Post#4 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:01 am

Fey wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:29 am
Don't completely ignore str. You will want your snare in particular to not get parried. You have to stick your guarded Target and won't always have the time to get into a rear position. I'd say 400 minimum 500 better. Deftard will only get you so far, at some point it's up to your heals.


No,if you play wb str is useless as you just have to stay 30 feet from your guard target and spam hold the line. Str is only usefull for scs and small sclale to land your cc spells.

Anthr
Posts: 10

Re: [KOTBS] How much is too much?

Post#5 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:47 am

spamming hold the line is bad play. should be actively applying tri snare, super punts, keeping your block up with shield rush so dirty tricks procs more, using shining blade on cd, applying dots to make it harder to cleanse more important debuffs, well-timed staggers, kd, taunt, interrupts.

Sulorie
Posts: 4361

Re: [KOTBS] How much is too much?

Post#6 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:12 am

Warlogic wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:06 pm
Armor, Toughness, Tough/Wounds ratio, Str...How much is too much for a snb tank? Where is the sweet spot?

For Armor: I obtained Keeper's 5 piece at 17 and slotted talismans across the board with other good blue and purple piece drops. I know a lot of stats get added due to bolster, but when I hovered over armor value in SC it told me I had -243.3% Physical Damage. From what I was told in /Advice, you can only mitigate a maximum of 75% damage from armor, and anything over that is to prevent "Ignores X% of armor abilities". Is this factored as 243.3% - 75% = 168.3%, so I'm more than doubly covered against 75% armor penetration abilities with that value? Or is this 243.3% x .25 = 60.825%, so I'd still be taking around 15% more damage than if they were to use a non-penetrating ability? Sorry if I'm way off here, just what I was told. How much armor or physical dmg reduction % should I optimally aim for at end game?

For Toughness: Can you ever have too much? What is the soft cap/hard cap, and what are the diminishing returns when approaching the hard cap?

Wounds vs Toughness: Is there a sweet spot? Should I hard cap tough, and put the rest in wounds? Should I focus the two stats evenly? Should I hit the soft cap with tough and put everything else into wounds? What's the optimal method here?

Strength: I know this is last in the line of importance on snb, but how much strength should I slot or try to achieve in comparison to other stats? What necessarily needs to be capped first before putting anything extra into strength for optimal min/maxing?

Again, this is all just spitballing trying to get an idea of what min/maxing should look like on a snb tank in this game. As always, I appreciate any and all info you guys can provide and I thank you for the wisdom in advance! :ugeek:
Your paperdoll % values are incorrect. Use ".getstats" chat command to get exact values for base attributes. The total armor value is important, not the % value. On your paperdoll, it compares the boosted armor value with your true rank e.g. rank 17 armor requirements and shows huge % numbers, because e.g. 3000 armor at rank 17 is overkill, while at rank 40 it is super low for a tank.
Dying is no option.

Nosun
Posts: 29

Re: [KOTBS] How much is too much?

Post#7 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:25 am

I run around 10.5k to 11k wounds. I put rr into block first then dodge/disrupt and parry. Toughness comes from gear, 1 tactic slot with it and your Aura. At rr 63 currently my character is very very tanky but even at rr40 you will be strong with this set up.
Kotbs rr7x
Magus rr6x

Warlogic
Posts: 15

Re: [KOTBS] How much is too much?

Post#8 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for all of the great input! Lot of things to consider but this definitely helps.

One more question - is Gilded Shield tactic worth running on snb? I don't see many people talking about it, but to me that seems like one of the absolute strongest tactics for tanking in pvp unless I'm missing something. Just wondering why it's not a commonly used tactic, or maybe I'm just plain wrong about that.

*I have noticed that when I equip Gilded Shield while running snb it doesn't actually show up in my disrupt statistic, but as someone said above I should probably be using .getstats instead of the character pane, which could explain why.
Solarfury - KotBS // Warlogic - WE
Aresenyo - BW // Warlogical - ZEA
Warlogy - WL // Moonfury - SORC
Anastass - AM // Warhulk - BO

Player Level: Huge noob

Ads
User avatar
Wiede
Posts: 167

Re: [KOTBS] How much is too much?

Post#9 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:18 pm

15% disrupt is only a third of what hold the line alone grants you... so... nope: there's better things. also it's no dodge, just saying.

Warlogic
Posts: 15

Re: [KOTBS] How much is too much?

Post#10 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Wiede wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:18 pm
15% disrupt is only a third of what hold the line alone grants you... so... nope: there's better things. also it's no dodge, just saying.
Right, but wouldn't the Gilded Shield tactic stack with Hold the Line? I mean Gilded Shield specifically says Increases disrupt by 15% when using a shield. Would that not give another 15% on top of Hold the Line as well? 15% passive disrupt to all magic at all times seems incredibly valuable.
Solarfury - KotBS // Warlogic - WE
Aresenyo - BW // Warlogical - ZEA
Warlogy - WL // Moonfury - SORC
Anastass - AM // Warhulk - BO

Player Level: Huge noob

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests