Recent Topics

Ads

Best partner for a Slayer?

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Bulwyf

Best partner for a Slayer?

Post#1 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:04 am

My wife and I play together and we had a blast playing IB/WP back on live. I've read the forums so I know IB are kinda terrible. We've been playing IB/WP but it doesn't seem to work like it did back on live.

Would slayer/WP work better? Or would a s/b IB work with a slayer? Or something else entirely for a Slayer? Appreciate any advise!

Ads
saupreusse
Developer

Re: Best partner for a Slayer?

Post#2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:33 am

"youve read the forum to know ib is terrible..." and thats just not true. IB is amazing for a duo setup because of the oathfriend mechanic. However without a healer your slayer friend will just explode. Shield spex warrior priest might be something you could have fun duoing with :)

Grock

Post#3 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:50 am

As tanks IB are still the best (and the hardest) in small scale and 6man play, lots of defensive and offensive buffs, good CC, good CC resistance tactics for themselves, and more...
They are only "kinda terrible" in large scale PvP because all their buffs are single targeted, but when paired with solid dps they are still very good.

IB is the best partner for a Slayer, period. The classes synergize together like they were made to be a pair (which is probably true)
However if you are looking for duo roaming partner then going dps + tank is probably not the best idea and going with a healer would be a better choice.
I'd prefer IB + WP just for the safety of it, but Slayer will bring more damage and killing/chasing potential than IB, at the cost of being hella squishy and not having powerful tank utilities
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

zak68

Post#4 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:13 am

slayer+runepriest? i still remember that Barracuda guy...

Bulwyf

Post#5 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:24 pm

saupreusse wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:33 am "youve read the forum to know ib is terrible..." and thats just not true. IB is amazing for a duo setup because of the oathfriend mechanic. However without a healer your slayer friend will just explode. Shield spex warrior priest might be something you could have fun duoing with :)
I play my IB like I did on live with 2h and my wife is also 2h WP and we were getting comments that 2h IB and 2h Wp are terrible. I don't know if it was just rude people in the scenario. We did well in them because we stick together and play smart which as a veteran MMO player I know that makes up for a lot of deficiencies in a class.

I saw that IB buffs aren't as good as potions and they don't stack though which makes me concerned about end game RVR. I would hate to be told sorry guy, you are a good player but your class is so bad that the Kotbs and SM are what we are taking.

TreefAM

Post#6 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:35 pm

For smallscale stuff (which is what you and your wife are doing) IB/WP is a great combo and stick to it, the problem of both 2h IB and 2h WP is that while fine while lvling, once you reach 40 you will need endgame gear to actually work great, so either farm pve for Bloodlord or get into cities for alt sov/warlord.
IB/slayer is also a great combo, but like people said, you might need a healer at some point since 2h wp don't heal that much, though maybe with a shield wp it could work.
Honestly ignore random nerds in scenarios, they usually get pissy over 2h tanks and dps healers, but that's not important.

Bulwyf

Post#7 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:09 am

We tried her on the IB, myself on Slayer tonight and had a blast. It helped we stayed near the healers and tried to keep destro off them which, unsurprisingly, led to those healers noticing and keeping us healed so we can do our jobs. Definitely was a blast.

witc0m

Post#8 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:10 pm

Speaking as a 70+ Ironbreaker, they are very average once you're in T4. They're not terrible, but most of your skills become null due to pots, liniments, and buffs from other classes. Additionally, you do not benefit a larger group in the way a Swordmaster or Knight does.

They shine a little brighter in small-scale than larger oRvR/city play, mainly because you can somewhat control for who's running what pots/liniments/buffs so that your buffs actually have an effect (these things don't stack). However, even for duo roaming, Knight/WP would do far better than IB/WP in my opinion.

Ironbreaker is in sore need of a complete rework. It won't every happen, but it needs to happen.

Ads
Bulwyf

Post#9 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:01 pm

witc0m wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:10 pm Speaking as a 70+ Ironbreaker, they are very average once you're in T4. They're not terrible, but most of your skills become null due to pots, liniments, and buffs from other classes. Additionally, you do not benefit a larger group in the way a Swordmaster or Knight does.

They shine a little brighter in small-scale than larger oRvR/city play, mainly because you can somewhat control for who's running what pots/liniments/buffs so that your buffs actually have an effect (these things don't stack). However, even for duo roaming, Knight/WP would do far better than IB/WP in my opinion.

Ironbreaker is in sore need of a complete rework. It won't every happen, but it needs to happen.
Thank you for the honest answer. I loved my old IB but for now I'm going to stick my Knight for tanks since Order needs tanks and my Slayer for my Dawi love.

Xumae

Post#10 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Another slayer and a couple mugs of beer ofc
Nezeb rr8x dps dok
Demonlarry rr7x Magus
Squigdakka rr7xSquig herder
Mcronalds rr6x Mara