Recent Topics

Ads

Coming back to the game, IB or Slayer?

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
vakeman

Coming back to the game, IB or Slayer?

Post#1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:15 pm

I played WAR back in the day for about a year and half and loved it before IRL took over. Was sad to see it get shutdown. Was excited when I saw this server come up a few years ago, but it was early and wasn't super stable so I stepped away.

I'm thrilled to see things have gotten a lot better. Huge shout out to the devs on that!

I played a 2h IB back when WAR was up and people were still figuring out the game, but I can't say if that was good for any meta really. Then did the slayer for a while when it was released. I liked both in different ways.

I tend to enjoy bruiser type characters from mobas and other rpgs as I like to help engage but have enough of an ability to take a punch to the face that I can retreat if necessary.

With that in mind which would people recommend I try first? I know there is a t1 vs t2 meta in terms of how to spend your time. I'd probably do one for t1 over and over and then another for t2 long term progression.

I lean to the 2h IB as I love IB's look more than anything but I don't know how well that would translate to long term t2 gameplay. Which is why I think a slayer might be better for a longer lived character, but I don't know. So I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on things.

Thanks! I look forward to smashing some greenskin filth with you all soon.
I don't have a drinking problem... I drink. I get drunk. I fall down no problem!

Ads
Kwatchi
Suspended

Re: Coming back to the game, IB or Slayer?

Post#2 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm

If you want to play a tough toon, the IB will be the better choice. You won’t be a dps so much as tank/utility but you will last longer.
Slayer - 40/7x
Archmage - 40/7x

Grock

Post#3 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:54 pm

vakeman wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:15 pm I tend to enjoy bruiser type characters from mobas and other rpgs as I like to help engage but have enough of an ability to take a punch to the face that I can retreat if necessary.
IB would probably be a better choice.

Slayer looks like it should be a bruiser, but in reality it is more like a hard carry glass cannon that the entire group works to enable.
You can build relatively defensive especially against physical melee damage, but i wouldn't really call that a bruiser as you can still die very easily from magic damage or under CC when you can't face the opponent for parry.

2h IB has better access to defensive stats(especially toughness and 10% avoidance proc) and has more CC and utility, while still having decent damage output.
Its is pretty good in smallscale and 6v6, can be a good solo roamer and duelist, but not very popular in RvR due to being low on aoe and group-wide effects. Still a good pair for a slayer though.
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

oldone

Post#4 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:03 pm

I think IB is the best class in the game.

stormy2021x

Post#5 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:24 pm

I'm just coming back to this game after the original shut down, and I played IB.

As an IB I'd love to have a slayer as my oath friend. I remember having the ability to absorb half the damage my oath friend took and only took the amount that got through my armor off my life. That's when I'm not throwing shields on me and my buddy.

Edit: seems the ability is Guard. I really loved throwing guard on folks and turning them into bruisers.

Glorian

Post#6 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 pm

Everything what Orkni said.

For Slayer you need a guardbuddy.
2h IB can dish out damage late game but you are not really sought after in warband. But also there are some hidden IB builds with gear and Axe and Shield where you doesn't look like a dps from the outside.