Recent Topics

Ads

Slayer Giantslayer Spec?

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
kcfalcon

Re: Slayer Giantslayer Spec?

Post#21 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm considering going with Giantslayer (because I prefer focusing on single-target damage), but I'm trying to keep an open mind. So Iwas hoping some of you veteran slayers could help clarify a couple of things for me...
1. I've heard that, with Inevitable Doom, Skavenslayer actually does better at single-target damage than Giantslayer. But then I heard that ID was changed and not as great anymore. So...with the improvement to Violent Impacts, is Giantslayer actually better now for ST damage?
2. It seems that Giantslayer works best if you really utilize the burst damage from the three-exhaustive-blows-in-a-row that you get from VI. But that would mean building up quite a bit of rage first. Granted, sometimes you enter a battle with some rage already built, but other times not. So...any slayers that have tried it...how effective is the new VI?
3. Any other Giantslayer vs. Skavenslayer input is more than welcome!

Ads
Sulorie

Post#22 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Don't forget that you can play Giant Slayer without VI tactic too. The crit tactic alone is worth 45 renown points, you could spend elsewhere or just raise crit even more.

VI is some kind of dps tactic, because it allows you to use +75% dmg exhausts more often, without dropping back to 0 dmg bonus.

On the other hand it is possible to skip VI to take other dps tactics, which affect all skills and auto attack.

To fit in all the tactics, you might think about dropping Brute Force and replacing WS talismans with STR. The 8-9% armor penetration you lose with talismans results in much less extra damage opposed to other offensive tactics or defensive ones.
Dying is no option.

CountTalabecland

Post#23 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:26 pm

I am at wits end, I cant find any way to make this class last more than 2 seconds even with guard and I do no damage. Need advice, feel like I'm doing something wrong:

Looking to do solo roam now bc balance is dead and Order loses literally everything organized/scens, might as well try to farm aao.

Build: 2h Trollslayer w/ self-heal, rampage, heal debuff, and power through. All other point (9 at rr 44 I think) in Giantslayer can't afford crit tactic. I am in merc/BL with 2 parry jewels and 2 WI.

Tactics: Brute Force, Wild Gambit, Power through, and flanking/Stubborn as Stone.
Stats:
Str: 950 + 30 melee power (whatever that equals, i don't remember if its 1 for 1 or not).
WS: 595
Ini 260
Wounds: 690
Toughness: 100
Armor: 2800
Resists: 700 each for spirit and corp, 550 elemental
Parry: 38
Dodge: 30
Disrupt 20 something
I have 7% chance to be crit
rank 39 scen weapon.
Usually rolling with armor and str pot to get those numbers
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

kmark101

Post#24 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:27 am

First of all, you need capped str else you can't do damage.
Second, if you go Giantslayer then you have to get Spellbreaker, that's the reason of the whole spec.

Even with that, the damage will be medicore. Unfortunately slayer has only physical damage type (as most other dwarf damage, one of the largest problem of dwarf classes) and at an extremely huge disadvantage in the armor stacking meta (last 2 years), gradually getting worse as more and more ppl stack with armor talis/potions. WE/WH are high risk/high reward classes, slayer is high risk/medium reward in it's current form of game balance. And on the top of that, melee SH's will outdamage you with 6k armor and unlimited punt/jump (with so called "fluff damage", unfortunately your slayer not even capable of that anymore since ID nerf).
Gryyw - Ironbreaker

Toshutkidup

Post#25 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:04 am

I play what I will already say is an odd build. Im DW however Im spec'd Trollslayer and GiantSlayer. In my TrollSlayer Im RoA, Deep Wound and Rampage. In Giant Tree I took it up to 12 pts however only thing Im specced in is Cleft of Twain as its my ID alternative.

My General Rotation is Onslaught->Slowdown->Deepwound->CoT->PSx2/3 swings then repeat rotation. This is just general and not always as SC and few others can be thrown in.

Tactics I run WG,Ripsotle, BF, SoS, however if I know I will have a 1v1 with a caster I drop SOS and replace it with close combat.
First RR90 Slayer working towards the top of the mountain.I still solo, still run riposte.

Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/toshutkidup
My Youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/Toshutkidup

CountTalabecland

Post#26 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:25 am

Spoiler:
kmark101 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:27 am First of all, you need capped str else you can't do damage.
Second, if you go Giantslayer then you have to get Spellbreaker, that's the reason of the whole spec.

Even with that, the damage will be medicore. Unfortunately slayer has only physical damage type (as most other dwarf damage, one of the largest problem of dwarf classes) and at an extremely huge disadvantage in the armor stacking meta (last 2 years), gradually getting worse as more and more ppl stack with armor talis/potions. WE/WH are high risk/high reward classes, slayer is high risk/medium reward in it's current form of game balance. And on the top of that, melee SH's will outdamage you with 6k armor and unlimited punt/jump (with so called "fluff damage", unfortunately your slayer not even capable of that anymore since ID nerf).
Problem is I don't know where I would get enough str from without getting a least 2 conq pieces. I don't think I'll ever get 2 gold bags with 2 different conq pieces since I only play 10 hours a week or so. In merc/Bl the max seems to be about 900 without a pot.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Elio

Post#27 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:23 am

Tested a few builds to makes GS work. Most success I've found was with this spec...

RoR.builders - Slayer

Running a mix of 4 BL/2Merc/3 Conq and the Subjugator Ax, and I moved some WS talis to STR. Sadly, it feels like similar ST damage to my 0/10/15 DW build, but it's fun non-the-less. If your goal is big damage 100% you have to run Spellbreaker as 2h; key is timing it with Deadly Determination since each dispel can trigger DD. It's a fun experiment, but if you want big ST damage it's still better to roll WL/WH.

- Yir
Last edited by Elio on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Toshutkidup

Post#28 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:24 am

CountTalabecland wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:25 am
Spoiler:
kmark101 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:27 am First of all, you need capped str else you can't do damage.

Problem is I don't know where I would get enough str from without getting a least 2 conq pieces. I don't think I'll ever get 2 gold bags with 2 different conq pieces since I only play 10 hours a week or so. In merc/Bl the max seems to be about 900 without a pot.

Everyone thinks they will never get gold bags and pieces.. that’s false. Second if it’s just two pieces you can buy boots /gloves and then do some sc’s and also run some dom with bl. Getting gear is the easy part imo.
First RR90 Slayer working towards the top of the mountain.I still solo, still run riposte.

Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/toshutkidup
My Youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/Toshutkidup

Ads
Sulorie

Post#29 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:05 am

CountTalabecland wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:26 pm I am at wits end, I cant find any way to make this class last more than 2 seconds even with guard and I do no damage. Need advice, feel like I'm doing something wrong:

Looking to do solo roam now bc balance is dead and Order loses literally everything organized/scens, might as well try to farm aao.

Build: 2h Trollslayer w/ self-heal, rampage, heal debuff, and power through. All other point (9 at rr 44 I think) in Giantslayer can't afford crit tactic. I am in merc/BL with 2 parry jewels and 2 WI.

Tactics: Brute Force, Wild Gambit, Power through, and flanking/Stubborn as Stone.
Stats:
Str: 950 + 30 melee power (whatever that equals, i don't remember if its 1 for 1 or not).
WS: 595
Ini 260
Wounds: 690
Toughness: 100
Armor: 2800
Resists: 700 each for spirit and corp, 550 elemental
Parry: 38
Dodge: 30
Disrupt 20 something
I have 7% chance to be crit
rank 39 scen weapon.
Usually rolling with armor and str pot to get those numbers
Your crit chance is most likely too low (I see no numbers), STR is too low and chance to be crit is too high.
You can cap STR even without Brute Force, so it's basically a matter of gear. A higher rr will allow you to get lower chance to be crit.
You die so fast, even with guard, because you use Power Through. Don't use this crap tactic, unless you run pve. 2h-slayer/choppa got better options.
Dying is no option.

OgiWanBG

Post#30 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:35 am

In this line of thought , the old school Troll/Skave with DW and ID isn't worth it after nerf ?
Also why everyone avoids Power Through ? Wont you lose dmg without it ?
Thanks,
Optimuss - WL - rr57
Ogimir - SW - rr65