Recent Topics

Ads

Engi or Magus?

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
phoramix87

Engi or Magus?

Post#1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi, I did some tests in order to find the funniest class I want to spend my time and I found myself having a lot of fun with the Magus, more than shaman, wl, slayer, wh, bw, rp, zea and so on (i've tried almos every class to lvl 16+ :lol: )

Now since I've found what I like the most, I'm struggling to decide which side to go: Magus and Engi.

Esthetically I prefer Engi, not a disk fan, I like classes that walks and not on surfboard :D but anyways this is not that important, Magus set looks awesome and I read is a better duelist. Sometimes I like to play alone and look for some kills.

I've noticed that time to time I like to switch build, so would be nice to switch from AOE to ST build, or to switch from oRvR to Solo build.

So here my questions:

1) Which are the major differences between Magus/Engi?
2) Which are respectively Pro/Cons of each class?
3) Is Magus more Dots and long-term dps oriented? And Engi more bursty?
4) Which class would you suggest to me ;) ?

I have bot low levels and would be nice to have an overview for both.
That's all,

Thanks!!

Ads
peterthepan3

Re: Engi or Magus?

Post#2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:24 pm

1. Magus is more magical damage, Engineer is more physical; Engineer has quicker damage/can swap targets and assist melee better, Magus has more ramp up time for rotations, Magus hits a bit harder while Engineer is a bit more resilient and has the much better morales.

Magus: higher crits, can deal similar damage on almost any target, synergises better with magical DPS classes (sorc/DPS shaman), better solo class, better pbaoe dps. BUT: worse morales, not as tanky as the Engineer can be, probably less ST sustained, engineer turret does more dps than magus demon.

Engineer: quicker spike because of no travel time, synergises better with melee/physical dps classes (armor debuff, pierce defenses, cannon smash), better morales overall, better utility tactics/potential (aoe snares, disorients), higher armor/slight immunity to staggers and KDs. BUT: suffers against high armor targets, burst is more predictable and reliant on Cannon Smash in current meta against competent players, has worse abilities than Magus in the form of Strafing Run and Phosphorous Shells.

3. Depends on tree: Rifleman/Havoc = burst dps (kill them quickly, not so dot reliant); Grenade/Change = AoE/DoT sustained dps (slowburner); Tinkerer/Demonology = PBAOE DPS & Utility (AP for group/heal for group/rift).

4. If you like the aesthetic of engineer, go for engineer.

Darosh
Banned

Post#3 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:06 pm

I'd highly suggest to look at classes not in isolation, but in terms of what can be build with them as far as synergies are concerned.

With that said, Engineers have access to pocket Ironbreakers.
Dwarf master race! Hail Volgo!

Glorian

Post#4 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:14 pm

Well all what peter said is true.
Magus is better on dueling 1vs1.
On Engi if build high solo high damage you need WS and BS.
Magus only need INT.
So you can put the rest in defense stuff.

Engi really gets going if teaming up with a second engi or BW.
And Engi is a little more cool factor with the rifles.
And you need rifles for a sniper squad. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25213

catholicism198

Post#5 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Magus is pretty oped now with the changes they've recently made.
Engineer has better utility, and there are occasional events/groups going on.

The biggest thing to consider is whether you want to play on the (currently) overpopulated side (Destro) or the underdog (Order.) It changes from time to time, but it's been Destro heavy for a while and getting heavier.

Renork

Post#6 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:59 pm

What peter said sums it up pretty well. You want to focus down squishies and not so much the tanks anyways. Anyone that thinks engies/magi are op has not died to a bw/sorc rotation post disrupt changes.

exustrek

Post#7 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:11 pm

It will cost me 25 gold to change to magnet/grenades and back to rifleman, so swapping builds is not viable.

catholicism198

Post#8 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Renork wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:59 pm What peter said sums it up pretty well. You want to focus down squishies and not so much the tanks anyways. Anyone that thinks engies/magi are op has not died to a bw/sorc rotation post disrupt changes.
I was referring to the mastery change. The cast time reduction on Mutating Blue Fire was more than enough.

...and no, I've yet to lose to a Bright Wizard. They usually die before I hit 25%.

Ads
Renork

Post#9 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:25 pm

catholicism198 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:14 pm
Renork wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:59 pm What peter said sums it up pretty well. You want to focus down squishies and not so much the tanks anyways. Anyone that thinks engies/magi are op has not died to a bw/sorc rotation post disrupt changes.
I was referring to the mastery change. The cast time reduction on Mutating Blue Fire was more than enough.

...and no, I've yet to lose to a Bright Wizard. They usually die before I hit 25%.
Lol, yes swapping IFOC with storm totally broke the class. The level of ignorance, far too much.

catholicism198

Post#10 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:48 pm

Renork wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:25 pm
catholicism198 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Lol, yes swapping IFOC with storm totally broke the class. The level of ignorance, far too much.
I never said it broke the class. All that I said was that it is excessive.

Their reasoning was that it's a "single-target" spec, but it's really a spec for long distance fighting.
It's not like other classes don't have ae abilities in their single-target specs- why should magus be any different?