Recent Topics

Ads

[Slayer] Guide - How to take lickin' and keep on skippin'

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Fallenkezef

Re: [Slayer] Guide - How to take lickin' and keep on skippin'

Post#31 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:45 am

One thing I can not stress enough, do not obsess over high parry to the exclusion of disrupt.
Alea iacta est

Ads
Toshutkidup

Post#32 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:01 am

If I ran in 6mans/grps I would agree with most of what everyone is saying. However I BELIEVE the OP was in regard to him being solo unless after reading 4 pages I may have forgot that fact lol. I myself and in no way am I an expert and would never do a "guide", my Slayer with Str pot is 1060'sh STR ( 1004 W/O POT) and about 600 WS, I hover around 44% Parry, 13% dodge, 12% disrupt and Chance to be crit is 4.9%. I only stat my stats not to start a build war, but to indicate to OP that solo play you can build in what I would say overall is a decent setup if you dedicate enough time and effort.
First RR90 Slayer working towards the top of the mountain.I still solo, still run riposte.

Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/toshutkidup
My Youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/Toshutkidup

Fallenkezef

Post#33 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:10 am

Toshutkidup wrote:If I ran in 6mans/grps I would agree with most of what everyone is saying. However I BELIEVE the OP was in regard to him being solo unless after reading 4 pages I may have forgot that fact lol. I myself and in no way am I an expert and would never do a "guide", my Slayer with Str pot is 1060'sh STR ( 1004 W/O POT) and about 600 WS, I hover around 44% Parry, 13% dodge, 12% disrupt and Chance to be crit is 4.9%. I only stat my stats not to start a build war, but to indicate to OP that solo play you can build in what I would say overall is a decent setup if you dedicate enough time and effort.
Your youtubr vids are the reason I started playing this game, don't put yoursel down.
Alea iacta est

shaggyboomboom

Post#34 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:13 am

I'd say 950 str unpotted is more than enough.

Toldavf

Post#35 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:54 am

shaggyboomboom wrote:I'd say 950 str unpotted is more than enough.
that was about what i had on live in sov.
Khorlar, Thorvold, Sjohgar, Anareth, Toldavf, Hartwin, Gotrin and others -_-

shaggyboomboom

Post#36 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Mix conq, bl and dom and you should be ok

Fallenkezef

Post#37 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 am

This thread had rather pissed me off. A bloke tries to do some good, put a guide up and share his experience and so many have jumped hom and slagged him off.

Sure, some of his ideas I disagree with and some of us, like Shey for instance, have added to the discussion.

The gits who all-out slagged the thread really annoyed me.
Alea iacta est

shaggyboomboom

Post#38 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Fallenkezef wrote:This thread had rather pissed me off. A bloke tries to do some good, put a guide up and share his experience and so many have jumped hom and slagged him off.

Sure, some of his ideas I disagree with and some of us, like Shey for instance, have added to the discussion.

The gits who all-out slagged the thread really annoyed me.
Because the guide itself leads to bad decisions.

Ads
Darosh
Banned

Post#39 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Wrote a reply, it went poof before I could submit it, for whatever reason, so long story short:

None of my ramblings are based on your performance, glassyness or else, Elio. They are based on the fact that there are worlds of difference between what pugs throw at you, and what even the most mediocre duo can push ~ to emphasize: against good opposition, you will ultimately have to time transitions into red via comms (unless you regularly play in a fix group *for quite a while - as alluded in my previous post).

As to PFM, yes, BiS if you can utilize it ~ if you were, for example, to run up against a decent BG/WE whilst pugging you'd be better of running Shoutness of the Stone, less risk + higher uptime = more pressure = more effective pewpew; added benefit: CC sponge.
In regards to armorpen via WS, as others have stated, >>50% is overkill because of the investment it requires ~ best case scenario: you run with an IB (or at the very least a pointy-ear with a cat... or at the very, very least a tank with Redeye/BL corrison proc, [A]SW [mediocre armordebuff, but fancy ini debuff], Engi [mediocre armordebuff on the turret, excellent one on M3]).

In regards to rolling my gibberish into your guide, meh, what I casually post is to be considered fair game, no reason to ask for permission.

Abbd.:
100 wounds/initiative translate to infinitely more dps longterm than x amount of WS, dead midgets don't pewpew. Surviving atleast 2 GCDs of relatively uncontested burst, even with just 40hp > miniscule frontload increase. Keep in mind, healers are limited by GCDs too, and you can't pop pots while CC'd...

Death is costly, recovering in/resetting an engagement with a rez-debuffed Slayer is essentially impossible.

E: Added an important bit*, meh, removed unneccessary addendum.

Elio

Post#40 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:19 pm

@ Fallenkezef - Don't worry about it! I'm of the mind that the more discussion about slayers/this guide the better. Sure some are more abrasive than others, but in the end everyone is championing their version of what they see as the best for the slayer class. The more info a new/struggling slayer can see the better off they'll be in the long run. I try to support why I choose the things I do in the guide, but clearly that's not the only way to build/play a slayer.

@Darosh - I get that a "dead slayer does no damage," but, again, if I'm not dying, and keep close to 100% uptime on targets, then any more defensive stats would be overkill. 100 Wounds/100 Initiative is only better if I would have died without them. How I play (relaxed 6m/RvR/pug SCs) very rarely do I feel that kind of consistent pressure. It's not like I've ignored defensive stats while just pumping WS. With the 5% reduction liniment I've got a less than 0% (sit at 3.7% normally) chance to be crit as well as solid parry and middling dodge/disrupt.

I'm SURE thing are different in the competitive 6m world, but this guide isn't aimed at optimizing for that. And I'm very clear about it. I couldn't write a guide for that because, A: I have no experience with competitive 6m, and B: the build/gear should be adjusted, as you alluded to, based on your own 6m composition anyways.

However, before I assume too much in my reply some clarification would be helpful. Curious what your goal is for a slayer. Is your position that a slayer should building 100% defensive and secure kills through pooling AP and good target swaps?