Recent Topics

Ads

[DoK] SnB DoK Build Advice

Black Guard, Sorceress, Witch Elf, Disciple of Khaine
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
p33k4b0o

[DoK] SnB DoK Build Advice

Post#1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:29 am

Ey guys,

I'm RR77 DoK who leveled up all the way there just playing Chalice DoK (Dark Rites path) and just changed to try SnB DoK and it feels a little bit frustrating.

Knowing that, I would like to first apologize for my english, since it's not my main language, and secondly I would like to put in the table the context.

This are my stats atm:
Gear:
3xBeastlord
5xWarlord
1xBloodlord
2xGenesis
BL Weapon, The Forerunner (BB/BE)

(I'm trying to get 3xBloodlord and Sentinel Right atm)

My talisman slot's are all socket with +23 STR. My renown goes to Futile Strikes (3/4), Block (3/4) and the rest in Wounds atm.

Mastery wise build looks like this:

RoR.builders - Disciple of Khaine

First impressions:

Getting to shield dok from a whole leveling being a chalice dok, it feels like you have to go too deep for being effective and, at the same time, I feel so squishy that just from AOE dmg I'm pretty much dead all the time. To get some healing done, I need to go with the melee group (at melee range) and expose myself a lot. Without a guard it's, again, so difficult to stay alive while trying to be effective.
Right now I'm talking about city sieges or crowded scenarios (I don't even wanna mention fort sieges/defense, cuz that's not gonna work at all) where there's a lot of aoe damage. Whenever you play smallscale you are more in control of the situation and you can deal better staying alive and being useful.

So... my point is: Am I doing something wrong? Should I play it differently? Would you change something from my masteries/talisman/renown/gear?

Thank you so much in advance and hope you can point me a few tips to keep enjoying this class/spec.

Cheers!

Ads
Ekundu01

Re: [DoK] SnB DoK Build Advice

Post#2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm

Shield dok takes some practice to get it right. It is a big change trying to heal your group if you are just jumping right in it with no experience in using it. I leveled my dok almost exclusively shield spec. It is great for small scale heals but in anything more than a 6man fight you need a second healer in your group to support you making it to melee range or else you will have a bad time.

Melee healing is a whole different animal over casting because you need to be finding the squishy targets that take the most damage so your healing is the best it can be. Pets are a solid choice to hit for max healing. Lions and Engie turrets will yield the best melee healing results it is almost like hitting a test dummy. After that casters/low armor targets are next. Mdps aren't bad if you can hit them from behind, slayers depending on how much rage can also be good targets for high heal return.

Don't be afraid to use Blood of my Blood to help keep people up. It has a short cd of 30secs you can channel it on the move and can cancel it with a jump so you don't need to use it for the full duration. Soul ward is the same way, it can be channeled on the move, it can be jump cancelled. It can mitigate a decent amount of ranged damage, plus it makes your group immune to snare/roots and breaks them and increases defenses by 10% for the group. This one you have to be a bit more selective with because it does have a 1 min cd.

As far as gear goes you wan't as much block as you can get. You give up direct healing power for being more tanky and melee healing skills but if you don't get the tanky part of it you are just a gimp dps dok with no off hand weapon. The sets with block are Beastlord but you don't want to be wearing that, Sentnial also has block and is decent for survival. Last is Alt Sov. Personally i would run the sent set until you have alt sov if you plan to stick with shield dok.

This is just the basics, you need to really play around with it and get a feel for it. I would start off small before you jump into trying to play in a WB/City/Forts.
Trismack

p33k4b0o

Post#3 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Ekundu01 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm Shield dok takes some practice to get it right. It is a big change trying to heal your group if you are just jumping right in it with no experience in using it. I leveled my dok almost exclusively shield spec. It is great for small scale heals but in anything more than a 6man fight you need a second healer in your group to support you making it to melee range or else you will have a bad time.

Melee healing is a whole different animal over casting because you need to be finding the squishy targets that take the most damage so your healing is the best it can be. Pets are a solid choice to hit for max healing.

That's what I thought at first. It's a different way of healing, so it will take time to master. We went to a city today and we got rekt so hard by a geared Order bomb group, so I guess that was the worst enemy to fight against for a first/second try. What I take from your words, it's that I need time to get to the way of playing the spec and get to know it a little bit more. Test and error.

Ekundu01 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm Lions and Engie turrets will yield the best melee healing results it is almost like hitting a test dummy. After that casters/low armor targets are next. Mdps aren't bad if you can hit them from behind, slayers depending on how much rage can also be good targets for high heal return.

That's a good tip. I guess it makes total sense since when you hit a KotBS, for example, you're basically hitting him for 1 :D

Ekundu01 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm Don't be afraid to use Blood of my Blood to help keep people up. It has a short cd of 30secs you can channel it on the move and can cancel it with a jump so you don't need to use it for the full duration. Soul ward is the same way, it can be channeled on the move, it can be jump cancelled. It can mitigate a decent amount of ranged damage, plus it makes your group immune to snare/roots and breaks them and increases defenses by 10% for the group. This one you have to be a bit more selective with because it does have a 1 min cd.

I'll try to do so. I use a lot Devour Essence either whenever I'm joining the fight for the initial burst I'm getting and/or whenever someone is getting focus big time. But I'll try to use this both and see how it works.

Ekundu01 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm As far as gear goes you wan't as much block as you can get. You give up direct healing power for being more tanky and melee healing skills but if you don't get the tanky part of it you are just a gimp dps dok with no off hand weapon. The sets with block are Beastlord but you don't want to be wearing that, Sentnial also has block and is decent for survival. Last is Alt Sov. Personally i would run the sent set until you have alt sov if you plan to stick with shield dok.

Would you change something else other than that? Talismans? Renown? Going a little bit more defensive? But that will make my healing and my dmg less effective, as my survivability will increase.

Ekundu01 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm This is just the basics, you need to really play around with it and get a feel for it. I would start off small before you jump into trying to play in a WB/City/Forts.

Thank you very much for taking your time to response. I really appreciate it. I'm gonna try all the tips you suggested and see how it end up being.
Cheers!

Ekundu01

Post#4 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:59 pm

p33k4b0o wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:26 pm I'll try to do so. I use a lot Devour Essence either whenever I'm joining the fight for the initial burst I'm getting and/or whenever someone is getting focus big time. But I'll try to use this both and see how it works.
Devour Essence is situational because if you don't have max targets to hit the heals don't really do enough to save someone. I find it works really well to throw on tanks or myself. Using 2 Soul essence skills together will drain you fast if you are not in melee range to build it up so i would advise against using 2 at the same time unless you can get back your SE quickly.
p33k4b0o wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:26 pm Would you change something else other than that? Talismans? Renown? Going a little bit more defensive? But that will make my healing and my dmg less effective, as my survivability will increase.
Sent gear might not be exactly what you want to be wearing but it gives you decent survival stats. A dead healer is not healing and you can't really backline heal so you need to survive long enough to get you into range to start healing. The biggest issue i have as a shield dok is AP when under heavy pressure healing. Besides defenses like parry and block, you need to make sure your crit reduction is down to 0. Str is nice but melee crit will also give you bigger heals.

I have done all pve content as shield dok as a secondary healer. Beastlord, gunbad, bb/be, and Bastion Stair. But doing city siege/forts is rough. Forts are too much aoe flying around. City siege you can do ok but to do it really well you probably need the shield sov set to not be cannon fodder and not be dead weight but that also depends on the group comp you have and what you are up against. If you can get a guard you can do fairly well but most guards are used on the dps and not on healers. In bigger fights i try to hang back a bit before moving in so as to not be targeted right away.
Trismack

phononHYPE

Post#5 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:27 am

Hi, little late to the party but I don't want to start a new thread about shield doks.

First, thanks for the tips on pets and turrets, they are my main target now as we move about, and I love denying WLs their pet. Next, from /advice in game I plan on doing FS III, Reflexes IV, and the rest in melee crit, with all talisman slotted strength. I'm considering FS III, Reflex IV and then Block IV as an alternative (I run mostly solo pug on all toons so I tend survival builds) so the extra protection from block I feel would go far.
I'm fine keeping talis slotted strength as opposed to wounds (vs morale), and I'm happy that OPs build is the one I was looking at before finding this post.

Lastly, on tactics, I'm looking at Divine Fury + Murderous Intent + Empowered Transfer of course. My last slot would then be either Potent Covenants or Terrifying Aura, of which I wonder if that is worth it as we are using plenty of pbaoe that would break the detaunt. It has 100' range, so I could use aoe detaunt vs their backline BW/Eng/SWs, but the increase in passive group heals from aura triggers also seems likely to be more use full all-around.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

Sinisterror

Post#6 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:49 am

Man i avoided to even test this snb build for a long since i really actually tried it on my rank 38 wp in scs 3 days ago and holy shiet it is GOOD. Empowered transfer / fanaticism / divine fury and leading the prayer (wp only and epic for this build) was the tactics i used and it really feels like this is what mythic intented more for melee healing to be. SnB dok/wp is probably very op in pve.
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

catholicism198

Post#7 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:59 am

Sinisterror wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:49 am Man i avoided to even test this snb build for a long since i really actually tried it on my rank 38 wp in scs 3 days ago and holy shiet it is GOOD. Empowered transfer / fanaticism / divine fury and leading the prayer (wp only and epic for this build) was the tactics i used and it really feels like this is what mythic intented more for melee healing to be. SnB dok/wp is probably very op in pve.
Mythic changed it because the masses did not like front line healing. And when you’re selling a product you have to make it appeal to as many people as possible.

It works in bgs, but it is complete garbage in orvr, (aside from small gank group roaming (but what isn’t good for that) and 1v1-2 )

Mythic had some fun concepts but they didn’t pan out in the end.

Sinisterror

Post#8 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:07 am

I played Wp from beginning of warhammer online and the class slowly morphed to backlline healer so i was "dps spec " for the most of the time. Imo if they didnt release WAR 1 year too early this game probably would still be live. And it is thanks to ror <3 the reason i avoided this spec is because i love dps spec wp and dok and i didnt even want this build to exist and i remember there was a time in live war that people joked on ventrilo that they should give warrior priest/dok shields and people got VERY MAD even when they knew it was joking because warrior priest/dok was just OP always.
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

Ads
phononHYPE

Post#9 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:12 am

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it so far as well. I'm leaning towards rr in both parry and block - parry as I'm front line, block because I'm healer and getting focused. The rr into crit sounds nice, but I feel extra strength for reliably good hits is better than spike healing. Anyways, only 27/31 right now so still have long ways to go. Weekends are pretty fun with this middle of the mess healing style, and with a guard I can solo keep my group up mostly, in SCs at any rate.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

catholicism198

Post#10 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:09 pm

Sinisterror wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:07 am I played Wp from beginning of warhammer online and the class slowly morphed to backlline healer so i was "dps spec " for the most of the time. Imo if they didnt release WAR 1 year too early this game probably would still be live. And it is thanks to ror <3 the reason i avoided this spec is because i love dps spec wp and dok and i didnt even want this build to exist and i remember there was a time in live war that people joked on ventrilo that they should give warrior priest/dok shields and people got VERY MAD even when they knew it was joking because warrior priest/dok was just OP always.
It’s not like they pulled it out of thin air. There was concept art for the WP using a shield from way back when, with the same shield that was originally given to them here.
https://druchii-war.proboards.com/threa ... ior-priest
They had all sorts of things floating around in the prima guide.