Recent Topics

Ads

[BG] How the **** do I play this class

Black Guard, Sorceress, Witch Elf, Disciple of Khaine
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Asyrs

[BG] How the **** do I play this class

Post#1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Been trying to play BG as my first character, but when i go to RvR to level my renown i just get beat down instantly with no ability to deal any meaningful damage or disrupt the people touching my butt, am i doing something wrong or is BG just not great before max level?

Ads
StrongUn

Re: [BG] How the **** do I play this class

Post#2 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:12 am

Some skills needs HATRED to use, you gain hatred by attacking and getting attacked
you can also use the skill DARK PROTECTOR on someone for more hatred gain

The more hatred you have, the more and more powerfull skills (buffs/debuffs) you can use

Eilhander

Post#3 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:58 pm

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=36323

Hope this guide helps you to understand better how your BG works :D
Talossar - Blackguard 84
Seyren - Swordmaster 69
Pain and Pleasure

zgolec

Post#4 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:00 pm

IB/BG is bad for newcomer. Shitton skills, mechanic that need much attention...etc...
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

Starx

Post#5 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:17 pm

Tanks in this game are support classes, and as such you wont ever deal lethal damage to anyone by yourself if they are in a proper group, 1v1 and killing pugs without healers sure but that's not really what this game is about. Tanks SHOULD go as offensive as possible, squeezing as much extra damage as possible to help assisting dps in killing stuff. But your ability to dump defensive stats/abilities into offensive ones is totally dependent on your group, when you are solo queing scs its a grab bag I don't recommend trying a full on offensive focused build when doing that. When you are queing in a premade with 2 good healers and another more def specced tank sure go ham.

You need to guard someone, preferably a MDPS and just... support them. That choppa on your team needs guard to survive, he needs your armor debuff to deal damage, he needs you punt to remove gaurd so he can kill someone fast, he needs... you get the idea. It's like playing a healer but less... lame? :^) Higher level gameplay you obviously arent just guarding one person but hell if you throw it on a mdps in a scenario and follow them you are already ahead of 80% of tanks on the server right now tbh.

The other thing to understand is while you are a tank, if you dont have a healer with you... you're gonna die just like any squishy dps its just gonna take 2-3x longer. Be aware of where your healers are before you do anything, if you dont have any healers... play like you dont have any healers bc its an entirely different game at that point.

As for BG itself ya its harder to play than the other tanks, but anyone that would recommend you play something else has no idea how indepth the mechanics all tanks share is compared to the relatively simplistic BG rotations etc... Learning how to use guard, taunt, challenge, your CC, morales, how to position, make notes of the position of your entire team, look for opportunities to do unique tank things... much MUCH harder than learning the BG specific stuff.

I was gonna write a breakdown of a 3v3 situation in a scenario to sort of help understand the mindset but i started to realize even just breaking down a quick 3v3 skirmish at a point in nordenwatch would literally be about 30 paragraphs.

phononHYPE

Post#6 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Starx has the basic tanking thing down, get that and your golden.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

Eilhander

Post#7 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:39 am

Starx wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:17 pm Tanks in this game are support classes, and as such you wont ever deal lethal damage to anyone by yourself if they are in a proper group, 1v1 and killing pugs without healers sure but that's not really what this game is about. Tanks SHOULD go as offensive as possible, squeezing as much extra damage as possible to help assisting dps in killing stuff. But your ability to dump defensive stats/abilities into offensive ones is totally dependent on your group, when you are solo queing scs its a grab bag I don't recommend trying a full on offensive focused build when doing that. When you are queing in a premade with 2 good healers and another more def specced tank sure go ham.

You need to guard someone, preferably a MDPS and just... support them. That choppa on your team needs guard to survive, he needs your armor debuff to deal damage, he needs you punt to remove gaurd so he can kill someone fast, he needs... you get the idea. It's like playing a healer but less... lame? :^) Higher level gameplay you obviously arent just guarding one person but hell if you throw it on a mdps in a scenario and follow them you are already ahead of 80% of tanks on the server right now tbh.

The other thing to understand is while you are a tank, if you dont have a healer with you... you're gonna die just like any squishy dps its just gonna take 2-3x longer. Be aware of where your healers are before you do anything, if you dont have any healers... play like you dont have any healers bc its an entirely different game at that point.

As for BG itself ya its harder to play than the other tanks, but anyone that would recommend you play something else has no idea how indepth the mechanics all tanks share is compared to the relatively simplistic BG rotations etc... Learning how to use guard, taunt, challenge, your CC, morales, how to position, make notes of the position of your entire team, look for opportunities to do unique tank things... much MUCH harder than learning the BG specific stuff.

I was gonna write a breakdown of a 3v3 situation in a scenario to sort of help understand the mindset but i started to realize even just breaking down a quick 3v3 skirmish at a point in nordenwatch would literally be about 30 paragraphs.
I agree that the first thing to be able to be a good BG is to learn "how to be a good tank", but BG as another level of difficulty due to all the stuff you need to control and tracking at the same time you are doing your tank job. I always recommend to any newcomer that ask me about BG ingame to go SnB until they are high lvl/renown and then they will can switch to 2h, this is not only because SnB is easier to play than 2h BG is also because you need to learn how to tank and SnB BG makes that learning easier and less punishing than a 2h build, you need to learn how to guard and hold the line, you need to learn to switch guards on demand, you need to learn to positioning yourself and where and when knockdown/knockback a target, learn when to use challenge and taunt and once you learn all that basic stuff you need to learn how to adapt your gameplay to each target you are focusing as BG, you need to learn how to rotate your interrupt skills to be the most annoying thing a caster will ever meet, you need to learn to switch your Dark Protector skill to share your buffs to the teammate which gonna get more benefits from it on each moment.

After all BG is another layer of difficulty on a tank gameplay (as IB is for order) and the best way to learn that is by trial and error, checking what works against each order class and watching that benefist more your team on each situation, BG can be very discouraging for a newcomer but if you can deal with the initial frustration of his mechanic and rotations you will find is maybie one of the most fun characters to play on Destruction.
Talossar - Blackguard 84
Seyren - Swordmaster 69
Pain and Pleasure