Recent Topics

Ads

[Marauder] Pure Bruteburst

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Foofmonger

Re: [Marauder] Pure Bruteburst

Post#11 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm

Pandastyle wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:35 pm

Is confirmed. I tried and it sucked hard. If you go ranked you basically have to slot heal debuff tactic which other posters already mentioned.
It can work, but its pretty comp dependent so I don't advise it for solo ranked. In fact, Brut/Monstro is preferable if you have the right set up in a 6v6 situation, it's just that you can't guarantee you can get that set up with how ranked solo q works. I still play it and waffle between both specs more or less, frankly I have a better win percentage with Brut/Monstro over Sav/Brut, but that relies on getting lucky with good comps.

Nothing a Savagery Marauder can do is all that interesting or frankly that good outside of the AP drain tactic (which is still only ok). The armor debuff is basically the only good thing out of that tree, and even then it's more or less redundant with the BG armor debuff (Mara is slightly higher value and undefendable, which is why its clearly better). The healing debuff should be covered by both your shield DOK and your other DPS (assuming you are running a DPS DOK, WE, or Choppa), and the wounds/tough debuffs are both covered by BG/Chosen.

However, in ranked "solo" you can't guarantee that you get a Choppa or WE instead of a Sorc or a MSH, nor you can guarantee that you have a BG, or guarantee that these people know what they are doing, so you want to go Sav/Brut because it's more self sufficient for those times you get double BLORC/Sorc as your comp or something.

If I were to do actual "make your own team" 6v6, I probably wouldn't pick a Marauder in the first place, but if I did, it would be Brut/Monstro over Sav/Brut. AoE WS/Ini debuff, an extra 60 toughness/str with FA, and the AoE KD (which can be used a fight reset to remove basically all pressure, and/or chain interrupts on healers), the ability to fight in Monstro without super piss-poor damage (important for fighting Slayers) is far better then "the same debuffs that your other group members have that don't stack".

Brut/Monstro is probably the best 6v6 spec for Mara, assuming you have certain comps, but you can't guarantee those comps in solo ranked, which makes Sav/Brut the more viable choice for the game mode. Savagery itself is a pretty awful path/tree in comparison to what it does to other classes, so it's pretty much only viable because its a "pug carrier" spec, in that you are carrying people with bad comps/weird builds. Once you get to a level play where the debuffs of Savagery will be reliable covered by other classes, it basically is a waste of spec points that grants you almost nothing.

Frankly, my opinion on the Marauder's strength in a 6v6 environment is not based on "redundant debuffs". What makes a Marauder actually strong in a 6v6 environment is to be able to deal heavy single target pressure (brut does this), while having the ability to be far tankier and harder to pressure than other DPS classes. The debuffs can be brought by the comp, and other classes can bring heavy single target pressure. The one thing a Marauder can do that the other DPS classes in your comp can't, is to be able to tank multiple slayers/wls/whs/asws and survive where other DPS would fall. Other DPS can't bring an AoE WS/ini debuff. Other DPS can't bring an AoE KD that you can use to save a healer/dps who is about to get focused down, etc... This is the "unique" value that they currently bring, and more or less requires Brut/Monstro spec.

So, by far the most effective ranked solo matches I've had were situations where I was Brut/Monstro, had a shield dok + dps dok/choppa/we + a bg, who all knew how to play their classes. I can spend my time doing high raw damage, cover all my own debuffs with the BG/other DPS/Shield DoK, and if I eat a ton of pressure and have to stick to Monstro to survive, I won't be sitting there spamming monstro abilities with 0 spec points in the tree (aka no pressure). Most Sav/Brut marauders are very one-dimensional and easy to deal with, you pressure them, they swap to Monstro to survive, and then if they try to swap back, just go and focus them again. What happens here is that the Sav/Brut Marauder ends up either dying over and over, or if they want to survive, they need to more or less stay in a stance they don't have a single spec point in. (It's also much easier to deal with 1 guy who is spamming most of the debuffs, rather than having your debuffs spread around your comp and assiting, you shut down the Sav/Mara, the destro 6v6 now has no armor/heal/wounds/tough debuffs, that's not a good comp).

ACTUAL TLDR: Mara is not a good 6v6 class really, but either Brut/Monstro or Sav/Brut can work in specific comps/cirumstances. It is my opinion that is a proper comp, Brut/Monstro is the better spec and the best 6v6 spec for Marauders currently. Sav/Brut however, is better for solo ranked "on average" because of the high likelyhood of janky comps.

Ads
palindrom

Post#12 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm If I were to do actual "make your own team" 6v6, I probably wouldn't pick a Marauder in the first place, but if I did, it would be Brut/Monstro over Sav/Brut. AoE WS/Ini debuff, an extra 60 toughness/str with FA, and the AoE KD (which can be used a fight reset to remove basically all pressure, and/or chain interrupts on healers), the ability to fight in Monstro without super piss-poor damage (important for fighting Slayers) is far better then "the same debuffs that your other group members have that don't stack".
Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm The one thing a Marauder can do that the other DPS classes in your comp can't, is to be able to tank multiple slayers/wls/whs/asws and survive where other DPS would fall. Other DPS can't bring an AoE WS/ini debuff. Other DPS can't bring an AoE KD that you can use to save a healer/dps who is about to get focused down, etc... This is the "unique" value that they currently bring, and more or less requires Brut/Monstro spec.
Sounds like you never played 6v6 versus any strong enemies.
Shaqattak - Marauder

Foofmonger

Post#13 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 pm

palindrom wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:58 pm
Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm If I were to do actual "make your own team" 6v6, I probably wouldn't pick a Marauder in the first place, but if I did, it would be Brut/Monstro over Sav/Brut. AoE WS/Ini debuff, an extra 60 toughness/str with FA, and the AoE KD (which can be used a fight reset to remove basically all pressure, and/or chain interrupts on healers), the ability to fight in Monstro without super piss-poor damage (important for fighting Slayers) is far better then "the same debuffs that your other group members have that don't stack".
Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm The one thing a Marauder can do that the other DPS classes in your comp can't, is to be able to tank multiple slayers/wls/whs/asws and survive where other DPS would fall. Other DPS can't bring an AoE WS/ini debuff. Other DPS can't bring an AoE KD that you can use to save a healer/dps who is about to get focused down, etc... This is the "unique" value that they currently bring, and more or less requires Brut/Monstro spec.
I haven't yet participated in the 6v6s organized events in the discord on this server. I will be soon! Timing hasn't worked out recently.

Regardless, I'm guessing you are implying that "my opinion is wrong". Do you want to elaborate on why you think that is and have a discussion?
Last edited by Foofmonger on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lyncher12

Post#14 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 pm

i dont think he has done 6v6 at all outside of solo ranked

Foofmonger

Post#15 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:03 pm

lyncher12 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 pm
i dont think he has done 6v6 at all outside of solo ranked
Not the organized discord events, no, 6v6, yes.

Pandastyle

Post#16 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:29 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 pm
I haven't yet participated in the 6v6s organized events in the discord on this server. I will be soon! Timing hasn't worked out recently.

Regardless, I'm guessing you are implying that "my opinion is wrong". Do you want to elaborate on why you think that is and have a discussion?
I also would like to know what you are implying here...and instead of being passive aggressive we could stick together "as a class" and try to learn from each other?
85 Mara
80 Choppa
80 Zealot

Foofmonger

Post#17 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:31 pm

Pandastyle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:29 pm
Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 pm

I also would like to know what you are implying here...and instead of being passive aggressive we could stick together "as a class" and try to learn from each other?
Yea I did try to preface that with "this is my opinion of the Mara" and not try to peddle it as facts or anything. It's entirely possible that my opinion is flawed, but if so, I need more to go on. :-)

To be fair, Sav has a couple nuances that make it a little more viable than I probably let on, so to dive a little bit deeper into what Sav/Brut brings to the table, you do get the only spammable heal debuff (assuming you have sources of CDR), which can be nice for chain cleanses (although WPs cant cleanse ailments anyway, and we generally see 1-2 WPs in most order comps). The armor debuff being undefendable is important, as you can ensure it gets stuck on a target. If you are running the 7 piece warlord/ap drain tactic spec, your going to want to be in some degree of Sav for that. The AP regen debuff isn't amazing, but it has a purpose and it's decent to slow enemy action economy to a small degree. Also the AA haste debuff proc can help mitigate some enemy MDPS DPS potential to a small degree as well.

I just don't personally think it's worth what you lose (Wave of Terror, raw brut/monstro tooltip damage, wave of mutilation, a tactic slot, roughly 50 points of str/tough (from FA), aoe kd, and not having to go +2 so you can net an extra 8X wounds/weaponskill) unless you are going for AP drain build with 7 piece warlord/2 piece sent which has it's own viable niche and may be the Marauder's theoretical best 6v6 spec,(but I don't have sent ring yet to test it!).

Personally, I tend to run +2 Brut/Sav with Wave of Terror/Deadly Clutch and drop the ass that is the current Thunderous Blows if/when I am running Brut/Sav. If Thunderous Blows was un-nerfed to it's old functionality (160 wounds debuff) then Sav Mara would be much more attractive as a choice at the moment. My personal opinion is that Wave of Terror is far better than TB currently (bg/chosen can cover wounds debuff, nobody else can do an extremely high damage aoe morale drain). If TB was back to how it should be, and actually debuffed for significantly more than tank AoE wounds debuffs, then that would be a unique value that the Mara is bringing.
Last edited by Foofmonger on Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildwindblows

Post#18 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:53 pm

Brut/sav may be the best build in current mate but it requires high effort.

Ads
Foofmonger

Post#19 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:03 pm

wildwindblows wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:53 pm Brut/sav may be the best build in current mate but it requires high effort.
Yea, if you want to succeed in 6v6 on a Mara at all it's gonna require a high amount of effort and stance dancing. Even though "I may not be the most experienced 6v6 Mara on this server" (as pointed out above), I can say that if you want to succeed in any form of 6v6, it requires high effort and playing 2-3 stances in a single match. At the very least, you need to be swapping from damage (either sav or brut) to monstro as you get focused. In Brut/Sav specs or Sav/Brut specs, I will use all 3 stances. Brut/Monstro can basically skip Sav as without speccing into it, it doesn't have a huge purpose to be in there (the exception would be, if you are in ranked solo and queued as Brut/Monstro and your 25% heal debuff is the only one on your team).

With Brut/Sav or Sav/Brut, the basic gameplan is to prep a target with debuffs, and then pressure/burst (I use the term burst loosely here as it's extremely telegraphed) in Brut. As the debuffs are about to fall, swap back to Sav, put them back up, and back to Brut for more pressure, tied in with some occasional Monstro swapping as you yourself get pressured.

One thing I've noted before, and I'll note again, is how great Convulsive Slashing is, in all content. It's an incredibly important tool in either Brut/Sav or Sav/Brut, and represents your highest amount of raw tooltip damage/pressure. You often will want to go directly from Sav (after a debuff rotation), into a convulsive slashing/GCD break/X ability (guillotene if possible, impale if you are using deeply impaled, wave of terror or pulverise is good if guillo isn't up, etc..), just make sure you break it properly and get the AA timing down.

With Brut/Monstro is a bit more simple, since you are going to just stay in Brut for most of the time and just focus on your regular dps rotations (as you don't need to swap to Sav to debuff). You'll sometimes hop into Monstro to fight through pressure, for instance in those situations where you can't get out (MR is on cd), and your tank gets punted and such (which you should do in Sav focused specs too ofc).

A quick tip, if you are swapping to Monstro to relieve pressure, you probably want to use some AoE abilities on the clump who is pressuring you, to ensure that you proc Monstro proc ASAP. With a 25% chance to proc, if you can hit 3-4 people, you are almost guaranteed to get a proc off (its still rng so sometimes you wont), but if you wait on ST abilities it can significantly delay how quickly you can get it up. I suggest just keeping an eye on your buffhead and using demo/or aoe interrupt (if theres something decent to interrupt at this time), until it procs, then you can swap over to ST as desired.

palindrom

Post#20 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:54 am

Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 pm Regardless, I'm guessing you are implying that "my opinion is wrong". Do you want to elaborate on why you think that is and have a discussion?
and
Pandastyle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:29 pm I also would like to know what you are implying here...and instead of being passive aggressive we could stick together "as a class" and try to learn from each other?
Sure. But all of this is about 6v6
Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm the AoE KD (which can be used a fight reset to remove basically all pressure, and/or chain interrupts on healers)
Horrible mistake. 6v6 is always game of controls and coordination(there is no room for random control abilites and tiny room for aoe punt in special setups and conditions) and performing laughable AoE(!) 2 sec kd is nothing more than free immune to involved, especially when you facing dwarfs with SoS tactic
Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm the ability to fight in Monstro without super piss-poor damage (important for fighting Slayers)
It is piss-poor damage vs strong enemies, any damage which can be tanked without detaunt is piss-poor
Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm far better then "the same debuffs that your other group members have that don't stack".
Wrong. Your party need all AD they can get. Because 2nd tank(with AD) can be busy far away(saving party healer when his 2mdps+1st tank trying to kill enemy healer or punted) or his AD been parried by enemy or on cd(also inc cd after slayer's SL used) after fast switch
Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm The one thing a Marauder can do that the other DPS classes in your comp can't, is to be able to tank multiple slayers/wls/whs/asws and survive where other DPS would fall.
Wrong. Of course it is tankier any other mdps when GoM is active, but here are the problems:
1)slayer's pressure is AoE and even worse, sometimes undefendable, so fast switch(with morale drop) can be used to kill mara
2)"typical" kill scenario is to punt guarding tank, kd 2nd tank, kd mara (before he used detaunt and GoM activation) do enuf raw damage, finish with morales (slayers able to ignore 2400 morale drop handicap due m2 DD combined with any other instant order damage morales aviable at moment)
3)smart dudes always touch their enemies, so if mara too sturdy(not full possible dps - kinda high armour(w/o bloodlord wepp, only sov/wl, high wounds pool), using Deadly Clutch) dudes will abuse only the squishiest targets they found - main dps, 2nd healer and maybe(maybe) ezpz DpS TaNk. This is worst scenario for party, because enemies just ignore sturdy mara, focusing "prime squishy"/main dps and party will be unable do pressure back, since saves were used all the time.
Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm Other DPS can't bring an AoE WS/ini debuff.
Yea, so what? It is good, but not enuf to invest for it.
Foofmonger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm Other DPS can't bring an AoE KD that you can use to save a healer/dps who is about to get focused down, etc... This is the "unique" value that they currently bring, and more or less requires Brut/Monstro spec.
Already commented this.
Shaqattak - Marauder