Recent Topics

Ads

Marauder basic questions

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
dalinvar
Posts: 60

Marauder basic questions

Post#1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi returning player here,

want to roll my mara but since im new to the class I would like to ask some question:

1) Which spec for solo? (may I also use it while leveling?)
2) What rotation for the build above?
3) Is there any way to easy stance-dance?
4) Where to put my first Renown Points?

I will mostly solo, but sometimes I will join WB/City/SCs for fun :)

Thanks all of you!

Ads
User avatar
Pandastyle
Posts: 48

Re: Marauder basic questions

Post#2 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:05 am

Though I dont recommend going solo with the mara, I guess sav/brut is a decent solo/scenario build. I bet some people will argue monstro is good for solo because of the defensiveness of the spec/stance, I !personally! feel like not doing enough single target dmg in that spec to roam solo.

I would go with something like that:

RoR.builders - Marauder

the remaining point can be spend maybe in deadly clutch for the healing debuff, but imo that is highly situational. With higher rr, go deeper into brut to take mutated aggressor (still waiting for that skill to be adjusted to mirror the SW one lol).

Rotations are also kinda situational, but I try to start in sav stance -> debuff the target ((snare -> heal debuff ->) wounds -> armor -> ap -> touch of rot/instability -> rend 3x). When the target is below 50% switch to brut stance and try to burst it down. For full burst* potential wait for your autoattack -> conv.Slashing -> cancel into guillotine. Also dont underestimate the dmg of pulverise and flail. they do some dmg. try to get at least pulverise into that rotation (tbh atm I am not sure where to built it in)

I dont know any way of "easy" stance dance...you just have to get used to and live with it :/

And for the very first rr points go for str (up to lvl 20ish) then shift to more defensive rr points like parry, fut.Strikes. Others can probably tell you more about that

* get used to the fact that the mara "burst" is kinda meh imo...dont expect WL levels of burst where squishys literally explode in seconds lol :D

//edit: the build I posted is not really viable for city and wb...for that you better go monstro/brut
//edit2: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=38141 in this thread you will find some additional information for rotation. though I disagree with Schett to stay in monstro specc when 1v1
79 Mara
66 KotBS

dalinvar
Posts: 60

Re: Marauder basic questions

Post#3 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:44 pm

Pandastyle wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:05 am
Though I dont recommend going solo with the mara, I guess sav/brut is a decent solo/scenario build. I bet some people will argue monstro is good for solo because of the defensiveness of the spec/stance, I !personally! feel like not doing enough single target dmg in that spec to roam solo.

I would go with something like that:

RoR.builders - Marauder

the remaining point can be spend maybe in deadly clutch for the healing debuff, but imo that is highly situational. With higher rr, go deeper into brut to take mutated aggressor (still waiting for that skill to be adjusted to mirror the SW one lol).

Rotations are also kinda situational, but I try to start in sav stance -> debuff the target ((snare -> heal debuff ->) wounds -> armor -> ap -> touch of rot/instability -> rend 3x). When the target is below 50% switch to brut stance and try to burst it down. For full burst* potential wait for your autoattack -> conv.Slashing -> cancel into guillotine. Also dont underestimate the dmg of pulverise and flail. they do some dmg. try to get at least pulverise into that rotation (tbh atm I am not sure where to built it in)

I dont know any way of "easy" stance dance...you just have to get used to and live with it :/

And for the very first rr points go for str (up to lvl 20ish) then shift to more defensive rr points like parry, fut.Strikes. Others can probably tell you more about that

* get used to the fact that the mara "burst" is kinda meh imo...dont expect WL levels of burst where squishys literally explode in seconds lol :D

//edit: the build I posted is not really viable for city and wb...for that you better go monstro/brut
//edit2: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=38141 in this thread you will find some additional information for rotation. though I disagree with Schett to stay in monstro specc when 1v1
Hey thank you for the informations!

Why you wouldn't recommend Mara for soloing? I had a search on the forum and mostly saying it is very viable, and it is a main reason why I am rolling one (but I also like the class).

I will try your build at first. From what I see Savagery tree is all about debuff, sounds interesting.
Later on i will check also the more defensive oriented monstro/bruta because I don't like to be a pure glass-cannon.

Anyways the stance-dance should works using a bindind key on a spammable skills if I remember well.. (so when u use that skill it automatically trigger another stance)

User avatar
wildwindblows
Posts: 170

Re: Marauder basic questions

Post#4 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:25 pm

dalinvar wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:44 pm
Pandastyle wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:05 am
Though I dont recommend going solo with the mara, I guess sav/brut is a decent solo/scenario build. I bet some people will argue monstro is good for solo because of the defensiveness of the spec/stance, I !personally! feel like not doing enough single target dmg in that spec to roam solo.

I would go with something like that:

RoR.builders - Marauder

the remaining point can be spend maybe in deadly clutch for the healing debuff, but imo that is highly situational. With higher rr, go deeper into brut to take mutated aggressor (still waiting for that skill to be adjusted to mirror the SW one lol).

Rotations are also kinda situational, but I try to start in sav stance -> debuff the target ((snare -> heal debuff ->) wounds -> armor -> ap -> touch of rot/instability -> rend 3x). When the target is below 50% switch to brut stance and try to burst it down. For full burst* potential wait for your autoattack -> conv.Slashing -> cancel into guillotine. Also dont underestimate the dmg of pulverise and flail. they do some dmg. try to get at least pulverise into that rotation (tbh atm I am not sure where to built it in)

I dont know any way of "easy" stance dance...you just have to get used to and live with it :/

And for the very first rr points go for str (up to lvl 20ish) then shift to more defensive rr points like parry, fut.Strikes. Others can probably tell you more about that

* get used to the fact that the mara "burst" is kinda meh imo...dont expect WL levels of burst where squishys literally explode in seconds lol :D

//edit: the build I posted is not really viable for city and wb...for that you better go monstro/brut
//edit2: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=38141 in this thread you will find some additional information for rotation. though I disagree with Schett to stay in monstro specc when 1v1
Hey thank you for the informations!

Why you wouldn't recommend Mara for soloing? I had a search on the forum and mostly saying it is very viable, and it is a main reason why I am rolling one (but I also like the class).

I will try your build at first. From what I see Savagery tree is all about debuff, sounds interesting.
Later on i will check also the more defensive oriented monstro/bruta because I don't like to be a pure glass-cannon.

Anyways the stance-dance should works using a bindind key on a spammable skills if I remember well.. (so when u use that skill it automatically trigger another stance)
Mara sav/brust build doesn't suit for solo gameplay because you wont have any kd. You can prefer Monstro/brut for solo but st damage of monstro is not good but shines in wb. Pick w.e for solo.

amagawd
Posts: 58

Re: Marauder basic questions

Post#5 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:28 am

I mean if you go for that build from Pandastyle, at least get the Deadly Clutch tactic. Monstro mara is kinda hard to solo unless u swap stances a lot to try to heal a bit from monstro proc and deal ST with the other
Klindor - aiming @ RR 255.

User avatar
Stophy22
Posts: 336

Re: Marauder basic questions

Post#6 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:01 am

If you're solo/without a healer I'd recommend going monstro. Savage Brutality is nice but the KD is important, so is some sort of sustain and armor shrug is nice.

Personally you'll probably enjoy Monstro/brut more on mara, Savage/brutality mara is strong single target but you're not burst, so aoe fluff with execute damage is nice, AOE init debuff as well as AOE KD allows you to KD backline healers if you want to try and dive their backline, and then mouth of tzeetch allows you to interrupt multiple AOE heals or resses.

If you do go savage/brut you'll probably find the most success playing off pulls or assisting a main assist. Monstro Brut is a little more free spirited in my experience.

Monstro will be better for leveling too.
Image
Kuro Mara R7x
Bunji DoK R6x
Kurodon BG R8x
Archea Chosen R6x

Foofmonger
Posts: 322

Re: Marauder basic questions

Post#7 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:24 pm

Brut/Monstro is best for soloing outside of fighting healers, where Sav/Brut is better. You won't kill any (non-DPS) healers without a heal debuff, and you won't kill some dps healers without a heal debuff if they are semi-decent. Brut/Monstro is much superior for fighting against other dps and tanks (mostly due to the KD combined with not having arse damage when trying to survive in monstro stance).

I say Brut/Monstro and not Monstro/Brut because wrecking ball is pure ass for soloing. You go up to the KD in Monstro and don't go a point higher.

I play a ****-ton of solo Mara btw. It's not terrible, it's nowhere near "the best soloing class" here are your rough (rough because there is a lot of variables such as builds, gear, and player skill) matchups 1v1.

MDPS:
vs WL: Fairly even fight, burst war. Generally he who geared better wins assuming even skill.
vs WH: In WHs favor, the ability to parry on demand attacks combined with riposte can give the Marauder some big issues, you have to actually kite them out a bit after detaunting usually. If you open on the WH, it's much easier, if they get a stealth opener off you are in for a very rough fight.
vs Slayer: Marauder's favor, assuming the Slayer isn't already in the red when the fight begins, then it's more even. By the time the slayer gets up to speed to be threatening, they are usually in guillotene range to finish.

Tanks:
vs SM: SM's favor. Spirit damage cuts through your armor and monstro proc like butter, and they are tanky enough to absorb your damage.
vs IB: Marauder's favor. Their no access to magic damage means they can't dps you faster than you can dps them.
vs KotBS: Fairly even fight, slight edge to the knight usually if they are focus on magical damage.

RDPS:
vs Engineer: Marauder's favor, although you are likely to die from dots after.
vs ASW: Marauder auto-loses, one of the worst match ups.
vs RSW: Marauders favor if they don't screw up being kited.
vs BW: Marauders favor if they don't screw up being kited.

Healers:
vs DPS WP: Marauder's favor, they can't survive through the burst and being interrupted on heals.
vs Healing WP: You will never kill a competent one solo (regardless of spec), nor will they ever kill you. Stalemate.
vs Shield WP: No idea, not sure I've ever 1v1ed one.
vs Healing RP: You might (probably not if they are any good) be able to burst them down in Sav/Brut, otherwise stalemate.
vs DPS RP: Marauders favor.
vs DPS AM: Marauders favor, although nearly a 100% chance to die from dots afterwards.
vs healing AM: Same as healing RP more or less.

User avatar
Pandastyle
Posts: 48

Re: Marauder basic questions

Post#8 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:23 am

Spoiler:
Foofmonger wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:24 pm
Brut/Monstro is best for soloing outside of fighting healers, where Sav/Brut is better. You won't kill any (non-DPS) healers without a heal debuff, and you won't kill some dps healers without a heal debuff if they are semi-decent. Brut/Monstro is much superior for fighting against other dps and tanks (mostly due to the KD combined with not having arse damage when trying to survive in monstro stance).

I say Brut/Monstro and not Monstro/Brut because wrecking ball is pure ass for soloing. You go up to the KD in Monstro and don't go a point higher.

I play a ****-ton of solo Mara btw. It's not terrible, it's nowhere near "the best soloing class" here are your rough (rough because there is a lot of variables such as builds, gear, and player skill) matchups 1v1.

MDPS:
vs WL: Fairly even fight, burst war. Generally he who geared better wins assuming even skill.
vs WH: In WHs favor, the ability to parry on demand attacks combined with riposte can give the Marauder some big issues, you have to actually kite them out a bit after detaunting usually. If you open on the WH, it's much easier, if they get a stealth opener off you are in for a very rough fight.
vs Slayer: Marauder's favor, assuming the Slayer isn't already in the red when the fight begins, then it's more even. By the time the slayer gets up to speed to be threatening, they are usually in guillotene range to finish.

Tanks:
vs SM: SM's favor. Spirit damage cuts through your armor and monstro proc like butter, and they are tanky enough to absorb your damage.
vs IB: Marauder's favor. Their no access to magic damage means they can't dps you faster than you can dps them.
vs KotBS: Fairly even fight, slight edge to the knight usually if they are focus on magical damage.

RDPS:
vs Engineer: Marauder's favor, although you are likely to die from dots after.
vs ASW: Marauder auto-loses, one of the worst match ups.
vs RSW: Marauders favor if they don't screw up being kited.
vs BW: Marauders favor if they don't screw up being kited.

Healers:
vs DPS WP: Marauder's favor, they can't survive through the burst and being interrupted on heals.
vs Healing WP: You will never kill a competent one solo (regardless of spec), nor will they ever kill you. Stalemate.
vs Shield WP: No idea, not sure I've ever 1v1ed one.
vs Healing RP: You might (probably not if they are any good) be able to burst them down in Sav/Brut, otherwise stalemate.
vs DPS RP: Marauders favor.
vs DPS AM: Marauders favor, although nearly a 100% chance to die from dots afterwards.
vs healing AM: Same as healing RP more or less.
Can elaborate a bit more on the matchups? Especially how to deal with the mDPS (WLs)? Do you use detaunt or something like that to survive the initial burst? How do you deal with rDPS / DPS Healer (especially AM) where you are being spotted first considering basically our only gap closer is the charge. Is it a auto-loss? (I will not consider the pull as a gap closer because that shite is broken af imo)

Can you link your build? You said you dont go higher than kd in monstro so I guess it looks smth like this:
RoR.builders - Marauder
where would you put the remaining career point? What tactics do you use and which morales?

Sorry for that many questions...its just I love the marauder and I really want to get better and also roam solo sometimes :)
79 Mara
66 KotBS

Ads
Foofmonger
Posts: 322

Re: Marauder basic questions

Post#9 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:13 pm

Pandastyle wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:23 am
Spoiler:
Foofmonger wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:24 pm
Brut/Monstro is best for soloing outside of fighting healers, where Sav/Brut is better. You won't kill any (non-DPS) healers without a heal debuff, and you won't kill some dps healers without a heal debuff if they are semi-decent. Brut/Monstro is much superior for fighting against other dps and tanks (mostly due to the KD combined with not having arse damage when trying to survive in monstro stance).

I say Brut/Monstro and not Monstro/Brut because wrecking ball is pure ass for soloing. You go up to the KD in Monstro and don't go a point higher.

I play a ****-ton of solo Mara btw. It's not terrible, it's nowhere near "the best soloing class" here are your rough (rough because there is a lot of variables such as builds, gear, and player skill) matchups 1v1.

MDPS:
vs WL: Fairly even fight, burst war. Generally he who geared better wins assuming even skill.
vs WH: In WHs favor, the ability to parry on demand attacks combined with riposte can give the Marauder some big issues, you have to actually kite them out a bit after detaunting usually. If you open on the WH, it's much easier, if they get a stealth opener off you are in for a very rough fight.
vs Slayer: Marauder's favor, assuming the Slayer isn't already in the red when the fight begins, then it's more even. By the time the slayer gets up to speed to be threatening, they are usually in guillotene range to finish.

Tanks:
vs SM: SM's favor. Spirit damage cuts through your armor and monstro proc like butter, and they are tanky enough to absorb your damage.
vs IB: Marauder's favor. Their no access to magic damage means they can't dps you faster than you can dps them.
vs KotBS: Fairly even fight, slight edge to the knight usually if they are focus on magical damage.

RDPS:
vs Engineer: Marauder's favor, although you are likely to die from dots after.
vs ASW: Marauder auto-loses, one of the worst match ups.
vs RSW: Marauders favor if they don't screw up being kited.
vs BW: Marauders favor if they don't screw up being kited.

Healers:
vs DPS WP: Marauder's favor, they can't survive through the burst and being interrupted on heals.
vs Healing WP: You will never kill a competent one solo (regardless of spec), nor will they ever kill you. Stalemate.
vs Shield WP: No idea, not sure I've ever 1v1ed one.
vs Healing RP: You might (probably not if they are any good) be able to burst them down in Sav/Brut, otherwise stalemate.
vs DPS RP: Marauders favor.
vs DPS AM: Marauders favor, although nearly a 100% chance to die from dots afterwards.
vs healing AM: Same as healing RP more or less.
Can elaborate a bit more on the matchups? Especially how to deal with the mDPS (WLs)? Do you use detaunt or something like that to survive the initial burst? How do you deal with rDPS / DPS Healer (especially AM) where you are being spotted first considering basically our only gap closer is the charge. Is it a auto-loss? (I will not consider the pull as a gap closer because that shite is broken af imo)

Can you link your build? You said you dont go higher than kd in monstro so I guess it looks smth like this:
RoR.builders - Marauder
where would you put the remaining career point? What tactics do you use and which morales?

Sorry for that many questions...its just I love the marauder and I really want to get better and also roam solo sometimes :)
Yea sure why not. First off, solo does not mean dueling or "fighting fair", running at a RDPS in an open field is the equivalent of a guy on horseback charging at a firing squad, a bad tactic.

So first WL: It depends on "who has to survive the initial burst" - aka who lands the knockdown first. If you can pull off a detaunt prior to a KD, then that's always good (in any situation more or less), but sometimes you can't. Basically the fight goes like this: Player 1 lands knockdown, does damage, player 2 gets up, double pots, knockdown does damage, player 1 gets up, double pots, then its just a DPS war. Doesn't really matter who is player 1 or player 2 here. This is of course, assuming equal gear and skill. If you are fighting a full sov WL in conqueror or vanq or something, you will lose.

Vs RDPS/DPS healer, as I kind of already went into, you don't just run at them with them watching you from 100s of feet away and expect to win, although you can. First of all, your gap closer you should be using to close initial distance is your mount. You don't run at far away RDPS unmounted. Generally speaking you want to use LOS and your mount to be able to get close enough to land on top of them to begin the fight. If you are paying 0 attention and all the sudden you have a bunch of BW dots on you and don't know where they came from, of course you will die. Pull works to a degree (yea its broken but not completely) but you gotta use it when you are roughly around 45-50ft away, using it at 60-65ft means it won't work (you also need to keep forward momentum when using it). Generally speaking (it depends on how they are trying to kite you) you use charge/pull post being CCed to reset the fight (so if a BW knocks you down, you get up and either pull or charge them depending on how far away they got during the kd). If the RDPS tries to just flee and run away from you to reset the fight, just remount up and repeat. You will often die from dots solo unless you kill them quickly and can double pot, but you'll also still usually kill them.

Yep that's the correct build. Wave of Mutilation is whatever to be honest, but you may as well grab it. It's not exactly good for soloing but I'm not gonna min/max the build for only solo roaming (if I did that I'd just take out WoM and go 15 points in Brut for maximum damage).

Generally speaking, the hardest part for a Marauder in fights is the beginning. Once you get people into Guillotene range they are in very big trouble. Wave of Terror is excellent here, as it's long range and high damage allows you to use it when either closing in (for more upfront burst) or to kill off low health people who manage to get away from you and begin to kite you out. To burst someone down, you generally want to do something along the lines of Wave of Terror as you run at them, hit with your auto, convulsive slashing x3, interrupt it with snare or pulverize (depends on the target), impale spam into guillotene range, guillotene, and if they aren't dead then finish with convulsive slashing (if its up) or more impale spam. For me in Warlord/Invader (not BIS) Wave of Terror/Auto/CS/Auto/Pulverize is roughly about 7800 damage if all crits (and all dual wield procs, but you are in Brut so that isn't hard to achieve) in about 1.5 seconds of reaching the target (about 3 seconds total, but you should be using Terror prior to melee range). A guillotene/another round of autos at the end of that puts it up to about 10.900 damage in 3 seconds (4.5 total with terror). Now that's against a dummy with 100% crit, but that's the rough idea. (With crit lini and feeding on fear I run a 48% chance to crit so it's not exactly rare to crit a lot, esp on other DPS who have 10-15% chance to be crit baseline).

Overall though MDPS is the more gear dependent archetype in this game. The difference between a 40/40 fresh Mara in conq and a 40/80 Mara in Warlord/Sov is huge, and this more or less applies to all the MDPS classes. When your job is to get in close and do as much damage as possible in a short amount of time, if you don't have the gear necessary to perform that role you aren't going to be very effective. Solo roaming pre-Invader levels of gear ilvl tends to be pretty meh.
Last edited by Foofmonger on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
wildwindblows
Posts: 170

Re: Marauder basic questions

Post#10 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:37 pm

Pandastyle wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:23 am
Spoiler:
Foofmonger wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:24 pm
Brut/Monstro is best for soloing outside of fighting healers, where Sav/Brut is better. You won't kill any (non-DPS) healers without a heal debuff, and you won't kill some dps healers without a heal debuff if they are semi-decent. Brut/Monstro is much superior for fighting against other dps and tanks (mostly due to the KD combined with not having arse damage when trying to survive in monstro stance).

I say Brut/Monstro and not Monstro/Brut because wrecking ball is pure ass for soloing. You go up to the KD in Monstro and don't go a point higher.

I play a ****-ton of solo Mara btw. It's not terrible, it's nowhere near "the best soloing class" here are your rough (rough because there is a lot of variables such as builds, gear, and player skill) matchups 1v1.

MDPS:
vs WL: Fairly even fight, burst war. Generally he who geared better wins assuming even skill.
vs WH: In WHs favor, the ability to parry on demand attacks combined with riposte can give the Marauder some big issues, you have to actually kite them out a bit after detaunting usually. If you open on the WH, it's much easier, if they get a stealth opener off you are in for a very rough fight.
vs Slayer: Marauder's favor, assuming the Slayer isn't already in the red when the fight begins, then it's more even. By the time the slayer gets up to speed to be threatening, they are usually in guillotene range to finish.

Tanks:
vs SM: SM's favor. Spirit damage cuts through your armor and monstro proc like butter, and they are tanky enough to absorb your damage.
vs IB: Marauder's favor. Their no access to magic damage means they can't dps you faster than you can dps them.
vs KotBS: Fairly even fight, slight edge to the knight usually if they are focus on magical damage.

RDPS:
vs Engineer: Marauder's favor, although you are likely to die from dots after.
vs ASW: Marauder auto-loses, one of the worst match ups.
vs RSW: Marauders favor if they don't screw up being kited.
vs BW: Marauders favor if they don't screw up being kited.

Healers:
vs DPS WP: Marauder's favor, they can't survive through the burst and being interrupted on heals.
vs Healing WP: You will never kill a competent one solo (regardless of spec), nor will they ever kill you. Stalemate.
vs Shield WP: No idea, not sure I've ever 1v1ed one.
vs Healing RP: You might (probably not if they are any good) be able to burst them down in Sav/Brut, otherwise stalemate.
vs DPS RP: Marauders favor.
vs DPS AM: Marauders favor, although nearly a 100% chance to die from dots afterwards.
vs healing AM: Same as healing RP more or less.
Can elaborate a bit more on the matchups? Especially how to deal with the mDPS (WLs)? Do you use detaunt or something like that to survive the initial burst? How do you deal with rDPS / DPS Healer (especially AM) where you are being spotted first considering basically our only gap closer is the charge. Is it a auto-loss? (I will not consider the pull as a gap closer because that shite is broken af imo)

Can you link your build? You said you dont go higher than kd in monstro so I guess it looks smth like this:
RoR.builders - Marauder
where would you put the remaining career point? What tactics do you use and which morales?

Sorry for that many questions...its just I love the marauder and I really want to get better and also roam solo sometimes :)
You can try Brut/monstro for solo. Brut proc gives %25 change off hand swing so You need to stack ws to increase AA damage.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kazboo and 4 guests